Hisense U8QF TV Review & Comments

So it's not the same as H9G an not worth the hype.

Hisense UK confirmed yesterday that the U8QF is not the same as the H9G. It would appear some YouTubers from the US made some assumptions and were wrong.

Why is this considered a flagship when my 2 year old H65U9AUK has 700 dimming zones, and a potential peak brightness of 2,500 nits?

Are manufacturers going backwards in order to save money on manufacturing costs?

Why is this considered a flagship when my 2 year old H65U9AUK has 700 dimming zones, and a potential peak brightness of 2,500 nits?

Are manufacturers going backwards in order to save money on manufacturing costs?
It's probably best described as the top of the range model for 2020, I'll change the review wording, thanks.

Seems like they are going backwards, I have also noticed this with LG and Sony LED sets whilst I have been doing my research.

Did your TV have the latest firmware installed for the review?
Yes. I always run an update to check that any TV in for review is on the latest available firmware.

the U7QF received a rating of 8/10 and the U8QF 7/10 ! :confused:
in any case thank you for the review Phil Hinton !

Having had the 65in set now for around a month I must say never noticed the backlight switching off totally. Would agree that Hisense need to get their calibrations contols sorted. I have not even bothered using the 20 bit ones. In my case playing with white balance the RGB gain control did absolutely nothing. Another thing I noticed , though it does not affect me as mine is wall mounted, is the stand. The centre leg goes a long way back so you need a shelf of around 400mm depth to fit it on, which results in, to my mind, the tv sitting much further forward from the wall that most.

Last edited:
What contrast ratio did you measure with local dimming on and off? And how is its reflection handeling? Compared to lets say the U7QF, higher-end Sony's and Samsung QLEDs.

Thank you for this review, be interesting to see firmware updates between now and Black Friday whch might, just might, make the Hisense one to watch

the U7QF received a rating of 8/10 and the U8QF 7/10 ! :confused:
in any case thank you for the review Phil Hinton !
Yes, because the U8QF has a few more issues to resolve than the U7QF, so it scores slightly lower. You'll need to read the review to get all of that.

Seems that yet again Hisense produce great products on paper but don't have the expertise to take it to the required level with the actual product. It's one thing having 1,200 nits and it's another thing controlling those nits. I thought the local dimming would also have improved but that doesn't seem to be the case as with that amount of zones the performance should be near top of the line.

Looks like the U7QF for me then - less flaws and seems to be a happy medium for both SDR and HDR.

Besides the mentioned issues, the overall picture quality is better or worse than the U7QF? On paper at least the specs favour the U8QF (more dimming zones, higher refresh rate and brightness). Thank you!

Yes, because the U8QF has a few more issues to resolve than the U7QF, so it scores slightly lower. You'll need to read the review to get all of that.
I expected a rating of 8.5 / 10 or 9/10 when I saw that the U7QF got a drown of 8/10 but that's how nothing can be done ! :)

I expected a rating of 8.5 / 10 or 9/10 when I saw that the U7QF got a drown of 8/10 but that's how nothing can be done ! :)

It is just an overall rating/number based on someone's opinion. It's not exact mathematical science. Look at the Sony XG95 for instance, also rated at 7/10 and it doesn't even get an AVF recommend award. However, when you look at the opinion of other reviewers it does get praised and even highly recommend in some cases. It mostly boils down to on one's opinion, criteria en personal preference.

It mostly boils down to on one's opinion, criteria en personal preference.
Perhaps for some reviewers. However, we try to be a little more balanced and obviously we also use objective testing to come to our conclusions. To get the full picture you really need to read the review to understand why certain conclusions are reached, scores alone don't give you that. I have no agenda, no favourites and no bias, I try to give you all the facts as we find them. It's ultimately up to you to use that information how you wish, but that information is based on facts and findings, not personal preference. To suggest personal preference misses the point of our reviews and ethos entirely. Thanks for your comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides the mentioned issues, the overall picture quality is better or worse than the U7QF? On paper at least the specs favour the U8QF (more dimming zones, higher refresh rate and brightness). Thank you!
It's all in the reviews, so I suggest you give them a good read. The U7QF was a more stable sample where everything worked properly and it gave a decent account of itself in normal living room conditions with a few niggles in dark room viewing. The U8QF did some things exceptionally well but was also buggy with the software for calibration and the aggressive local dimming needs some updating as it switches off the backlight in really dark scenes, and is visible pumping between bright and dark scenes, so it's more of a mixed bag in comparison. If they could get the issues fixed it would probably score 1 point higher at least.
As always my advice is to try and get a demo of any TV if you can before buying and use reviews as a guide only.

It is just an overall rating/number based on someone's opinion. It's not exact mathematical science. Look at the Sony XG95 for instance, also rated at 7/10 and it doesn't even get an AVF recommend award. However, when you look at the opinion of other reviewers it does get praised and even highly recommend in some cases. It mostly boils down to on one's opinion, criteria en personal preference.
in any case Samsung is delighted with this note and will surely sleep peacefully tonight ! ;)

110 Zones?
132 Zones on the 55 and 180 Zones on the 65inch version.

Clearly states on the Hisense homepage.
as I said above, Samsung will be very happy because it is a serious competitor for this brand !

110 Zones?
132 Zones on the 55 and 180 Zones on the 65inch version.

Clearly states on the Hisense homepage.
I counted 11 (H) x 10 (V) using a FALD counter.
I just had a look at the Hisense UK website and can't see what you are describing, do you have a link?

as I said above, Samsung will be very happy because it is a serious competitor for this brand !
Hisense has some work to do with its local dimming algorithm. Samsung has a far better example from what I have seen so far. It would be great for Hisense to take on the feedback from my review (and I have been in touch) as if they managed to get close to what Samsung can do it would make the U8QF a much more compelling TV. But I would imagine that there are costs attached to that, which would need to be passed on to the end-user.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom