Hisense U8QF TV Review & Comments

Last edited:
I counted 11 (H) x 10 (V) using a FALD counter.
I just had a look at the Hisense UK website and can't see what you are describing, do you have a link?
Phil I don't know if this website in the link below is right but it mentions 132 zones for 55 inch and 180 for 65 inch in other link on the website.. Scroll to the bottom 54.6" Hisense 55U8QF - Specifications
BUt, it's not about numbers.. But what we see on the screen in the images.

I counted 11 (H) x 10 (V) using a FALD counter.
I just had a look at the Hisense UK website and can't see what you are describing, do you have a link?

Hisense has some work to do with its local dimming algorithm. Samsung has a far better example from what I have seen so far. It would be great for Hisense to take on the feedback from my review (and I have been in touch) as if they managed to get close to what Samsung can do it would make the U8QF a much more compelling TV. But I would imagine that there are costs attached to that, which would need to be passed on to the end-user.
Phil is right, if Hisense managed to do a great job with a lower specs TV as the U7QF, maybe they will receive the feedback from the review and manage to improve the U8QF as well which theoretically has more potential.

That's strange as it doesn't marry up with my zone count, but then the backlight was going completely off every time it hit the end of a zone, so it is possible I missed something, I'm not going to claim that I'm perfect.
So that would be 12 x 11 = 132. So one zone H&V I missed, which is probably what happened given the issue with the backlight switching off between zones.
The result in performance is obviously the same as described in the review. But I'll add to the review that the Czech specs state 132. Thanks for highlighting this.

£899 is a lot of money for a 55" Hisense, great specs on paper but no so much in practice.

If you have access to Defence discount service or blue light discounts you can get;

55Q80T for £879 or a Philips 550LED754 for £930 via currys vouchers.

The Hisense has alot of competition for where its prices at, I suspect this might get alot cheaper.

£899 is a lot of money for a 55" Hisense, great specs on paper but no so much in practice.

If you have access to Defence discount service or blue light discounts you can get;

55Q80T for £879 or a Philips 550LED754 for £930 via currys vouchers.

The Hisense has alot of competition for where its prices at, I suspect this might get alot cheaper.

That's not like for like compare, 55Q80T is £1100 and it was £1600 when it was released iirc.
And using same analogy you can get Hisense cheaper with currys vouchers.

Not that I`m saying that Hisense it's better... but as you said they'll probably drop price even further as they always do.

Guys,

This is not H9G. You can keep posting links in the H9G thread but that's all we in the Europe can do at best.

Personally very disappointed with this review it was the same for the review of the XG9505 which obtained the same rating as the U8QF !
Good continuation !

'Terrestrial TV channel hopping is also good with a nicely balanced image when you stick to the HD channels, nothing looks good in standard definition.'
Could this not be that the bitrate has beeen lowered on a lot of channels. Some are now very poor on viewing. I watch a bit of CBS Justice channel and find the SD quality of this tv good. I do tend to watch it on satellite so will give terrrestrial a look also.

Personally very disappointed with this review it was the same for the review of the XG9505 which obtained the same rating as the U8QF !
Good continuation !
Ok, well you don't need to take it personally. I say it as it is, with measured data (and video) to back up why I have reached my conclusions, I don't have any brand bias and I have nothing to gain from giving anything an overly positive or negative assessment and I do what I do for others benefit, not mine. It scored a very good 7 and was given a badge as well, but the flaws were also mentioned as they should be, so I'm not really sure why you are taking it so hard. We also always feedback our findings to manufacturers and push them to improve on items where we think they can. This benefits everyone at the end of the day, If we just glossed over issues for the sake of a good review then that does nobody any favours at all.
Are you going to buy the U8QF?

'Terrestrial TV channel hopping is also good with a nicely balanced image when you stick to the HD channels, nothing looks good in standard definition.'
Could this not be that the bitrate has beeen lowered on a lot of channels. Some are now very poor on viewing. I watch a bit of CBS Justice channel and find the SD quality of this tv good. I do tend to watch it on satellite so will give terrrestrial a look also.
The scaling of 576i from the tuner isn't particularly good as it struggles to provide a clean, artefact free image and when mixed with some really crappy low bitrate SD channels it is a losing battle with most. With higher quality channels it performs a lot better, but sticking with HD channels would give you the best looking terrestrial TV images.

Why can't Hisense, and others, release the same TVs with the same model numbers in US/EU/UK etc.,!!

Very frustrating that the US market is getting some great, supposedly low/mid range, TVs for a great price.

Good continuation !
That's because tv's here are reviewed for people who watch in the dark. And it's said very clear by phill in the review.. If you don't watch in the dark.. The tv is more at it's strength for comparisons. And then it would get an 8 or maybe a 9 (my words,, not phills ).. And for me as a watcher with all the lights on.. and never in the dark. And not on movie-mode.. But more to the "standard"mode.. it would be half the price of a samsung q90t

Well an interesting review of the 55'' U8QF Hisense TV, as i purchased the 65'' I wont take to much to hart, the 65 has more dimming zones and to me the picture quality is just stunning. After coming from a high end sony android TV i find the 65'' U8QF to be superior. The UI is faster than android and much more fluid. maybe not as many apps but i dont use many, netflix, prime, UKTV play mainly.

I dont game so HDMi 2.1 makes no odds to me anyway. the most subjective thing is the eye of the beholder. Having worked in the print industry from before the introduction of the Mac to the present day the graphic side has always proven to be interesting. In working with colour corrected screen's on photo's with Photoshop many times customers look at there high end pictures on screen and in proof come back and say hmmmm could we make it more punchy, bit more saturation, bit sharper even though you look at the original photo and the proof looks spot on and perfect.

Every body has in there minds eye what they wish to see, or what appeals to them visually, as also some like to be exact to industry standards, not because it looks better, but its the standard and must be correct.

For me the 65'' U8QF has been a great experience so far, it begs the question if i was to spend 3 times more would i see that money in visuals watching a movie, I doubt it very much.

if you have purchased one of these TV's sit back and enjoy it i say. :lesson:

Hello, can you write Calibration settings?
And "config" for HDMI (console, because default PS4 looks ugly, switch HDMI to Advanced, looks better)
+1 to get the calibration settings from the OP: that would save me a lot of time !
BTW thanks for your advice on HDMI settings, that improved a lot my XBOX and FireTV performance !

May I ask which is your firmware on this TV ? the K0530 (I have on mine) or the K0703 (published also on Czech Qnap website) ?
Hmmm, my TV assembled 06.2020 firmware K0411 and no new firmware. Ukrainian support write what it's last, maybe for our region?!

Well, just because I'm too much curious I tried to install the Czech one here in Italy... and it works: I have no idea if it brings new or better things, but it works :)

received today, set up, first impression it's a cracking tv, gonna watch a few films, tv shows on weekend HD and 4k

Hello all,

I have 2 questions.
First... Can any of the CONS be fixed with firmware update?
Second,...If you compare it with Samsung Q80T... How close does it get one to another? What are main diferences?

Thank you for your question.

Not surprised, when will Hisense sort its processing out. I had the 65U9A and on paper it should have been exceptionally good for LED technology, but it was poor and it all came down to the processing and algorithm... I'd wait 6 months and get the better U7Q 65 probably for about 800 pounds by then, and that will be a bargain. Yet another slightly missed opportunity by Hisense by the sounds of it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom