Hisense U8QF TV Review & Comments

a review that I saw from another topic. Of course it has nothing to do with the review of av forums. And how could it be?

I watched netflix via my shield, and was lovely , I'm starting to think the tv struggles from my sky q box source

John Archer's TechRadar review also mentioned that the picture drops out in very dark moments which can also lead to flicker. A possible workaround was to increase the brightness setting, but that deteriorates the black level performance and thus, picture quality. In any case a potential workaround to consider for the people bought the set and are annoyed by this feature.

John Archer's TechRadar review also mentioned that the picture drops out in very dark moments which can also lead to flicker. A possible workaround was to increase the brightness setting, but that deteriorates the black level performance and thus, picture quality. In any case a potential workaround to consider for the people bought the set and are annoyed by this feature.

''picture drops out in very dark moments''

it's not OLED and this is expected in this technology.
But I want to ask the following question to everyone who writes reviews-J Archer too.
Don't they lose the picture of edge led tvs in over 90 +++% of the time in dark scenes.
And how can they even think of putting a worse rating on VA / FALD / 100hz TV than any edge led ''killer''?Even for black levels and contrast???
That's why I said, you have to read rtings, the reviews are accurate without the price and the year being a factor that everyone can adjust as desired.
The price changes often and everyone can put it in the equation. Free essays should not be allowed.

''Local dimming is a feature on LED TVs that dims the backlight behind parts of the screen that are displaying black. This makes blacks appear deeper and darker on those parts of the screen, which can be a big bonus for people who watch videos with darker scenes, like movies and TV shows. Unfortunately, the feature can also introduce a few issues to the picture.''

Last edited:
''picture drops out in very dark moments''

it's not OLED and this is expected in this technology.
But I want to ask the following question to everyone who writes reviews-J Archer too.
Don't they lose the picture of edge led tvs in over 90 +++% of the time in dark scenes.
And how can they even think of putting a worse rating on VA / FALD / 100hz TV than any edge led ''killer''?Even for black levels and contrast???
That's why I said, you have to read rtings, the reviews are accurate without the price and the year being a factor that everyone can adjust as desired.
The price changes often and everyone can put it in the equation. Free essays should not be allowed.

''Local dimming is a feature on LED TVs that dims the backlight behind parts of the screen that are displaying black. This makes blacks appear deeper and darker on those parts of the screen, which can be a big bonus for people who watch videos with darker scenes, like movies and TV shows. Unfortunately, the feature can also introduce a few issues to the picture.''
I hated it when Samsung FALD or non-FALD TV's dynamic contrast did things like this, too (say, brightness fluctuations on fades to black). There was no user menu setting to turn it off, either. In a non-FALD, it really is about hiding LCD flaws, but even there I prefer to see the LCD flaws along with the shadow details and a stable picture.

In a FALD, it should be easier to control blooming etc. while keeping the backlight so that it does not go *completely* out if there is some content on screen - again, the picture is more stable and you can see shadow detail while hiding most of LCD flaws. In other words, I prefer the Sony FALD approach to the Samsung FALD approach, and it sounds like the Hisense approach is even more aggressive than Samsung (who have taken years of tweaking to get where they are now).

In a way, Hisense is just following the lead of the master of marketing and in-shop "wow" effect creation, Samsung, in this, and perhaps this will pay off financially.

I prefer the Sony FALD approach to the Samsung FALD approach, and it sounds like the Hisense approach is even more aggressive than Samsung (who have taken years of tweaking to get where they are now).

In a way, Hisense is just following the lead of the master of marketing and in-shop "wow" effect creation, Samsung, in this, and perhaps this will pay off financially.

the price of SONY / FALD is close and sometimes even more than OLED. I don't know then why we comment on it at all.
If someone likes the plates on their TV, they are welcome.
I can say with the same success, and I prefer Panasonic HZ2000 more than any FALD tv.
SONY тоо.
And never,never say that FALD is better than OLED.And edge led is better than FALD.
Every rule has its exceptions, but I can't give it to SONY XE93 more money than ОLЕD.More money for nothing...
If I make a museum ... maybe
And in stores in bright light it is very difficult to see the black / contrast. So what you say about the purposes of making TVs SAMSUNG/HISENCE does not make sense.

Last edited:
Comrades!
Please, explain about adaptive contrast, movement, etc...because in some videos noise in move.
Maybe need changes, not only waiting for new firmware.

the price of SONY / FALD is close and sometimes even more than OLED. I don't know then why we comment on it at all.
If someone likes the plates on their TV, they are welcome.
I can say with the same success, and I prefer Panasonic HZ2000 more than any FALD tv.
SONY тоо.
And never,never say that FALD is better than OLED.And edge led is better than FALD.
Every rule has its exceptions, but I can't give it to SONY XE93 more money than ОLЕD.More money for nothing...
If I make a museum ... maybe
And in stores in bright light it is very difficult to see the black / contrast. So what you say about the purposes of making TVs SAMSUNG/HISENCE does not make sense.
I prefer an OLED, I have one, and did not mention anything about OLED here. The price argument is strange since the Sony FALDs do not have any more zones than Samsung ones do - usually the opposite - and the difference is in the algorithms.

It is starting to feel to me that you are intentionally misunderstanding what I am writing.

How many dimming zones are there?

The review says 132, the verdict section at the end says 110 and Hisense's own site says 100. So which of the 3 is it?

Very basic problem/question that I have ashamedly not managed to figure out.

Is there anyway to have "guide" show all channels, not just the favorite channels?

Thanks

Very basic problem/question that I have ashamedly not managed to figure out.

Is there anyway to have "guide" show all channels, not just the favorite channels?

Thanks
Press OK button, then in upper right corner choose Antenna instead FAV1.

Thanks for reply.

I can do that for viewing the Channel List, but not in Guide. So if I am watching a favourite channel I cannot view Guide for all channels. I seem to have to change channel to a non-favourite channel.

That's 132 on 55inch and 180 on 65inch
Hisense website says OVER 100 cos it's one site for both sizes , maybe something on YouTube to help count them ,.
What size u got , are you happy with it.
55inch and it's alright. Only had it since Saturday but so far so good. Haven't had a chance to really test it out yet. Viewing angles are a bit tight but other than that, so far it's ok.

So trying to find some "calibration" settings and came across some guy on YouTube with this TV talking about the set accepting a 120Hz signal but not actually doing anything with it. In his video he shows us how the frame counter on his PC shows 120Hz but saying it feels no different to 60Hz.

He also talks about other people having the issue.

Has anyone found this themselves? Main reasons I bought was for the 120Hz and reasonable price. Even without HDMI 2.1 (so no 4k @ 120) I could have expected at least 1440p @ 120. This bugs me a little.

Is this something Hisense can fix with a firmware update or am I returning it?

The video:

Phill I have read many replys and some reviews of this tv... And it seems like some tvs come frome good serie and others with flaws. Is it possible that you got a bad tv from the start?
No, I don't think that is the case. Other reviewers in the UK (and some owners on this forum) have also highlighted the issues I had, so I think it is down to Hisense needing to make some changes, especially with the local dimming algorithm which is too aggressive and switching off completely at low light levels. Other manufacturers don't have this issue with their FALD systems. It has been fed back to Hisense and in the past, they have acted on our feedback, so I'm sure they will work on it.

No, I don't think that is the case. Other reviewers in the UK (and some owners on this forum) have also highlighted the issues I had, so I think it is down to Hisense needing to make some changes, especially with the local dimming algorithm which is too aggressive and switching off completely at low light levels. Other manufacturers don't have this issue with their FALD systems. It has been fed back to Hisense and in the past, they have acted on our feedback, so I'm sure they will work on it.
So this is something that newer software can fix? I mean... Does this tv has all the specs needed that could be "flawless" tv?

So this is something that newer software can fix? I mean... Does this tv has all the specs needed that could be "flawless" tv?
The local dimming algorithm should be able to be fixed with a firmware update if they fix it. As for flawless, no. There is no such thing as a perfect, or flawless TV. But if the dimming can be fixed, it would improve the performance.

I read a lot of this TV in some German forums and the problems you mention in your review seemed to be a problem with one firmware only.... Many users reported when they set the TV back to its factory settings with the old firmware, the motion judders and and black outs of the FALD-LEDs got fixed. Some even reported after contacting the support, they got send a link to the new firmware version to download and install via USB - this seems to fix the problems they had... So it seems the newest update doesn't show up in the TV itself, you have to download and install it. Would be great if you could test this and maybe update your review, if this fixes the problems. Maybe this why the first reviews with the first firmware didn't talk about the problems you had... The problems seemed to have arrived with the first OTA update and strangely only get fixed if download the newest version manually over the internet or downgrade to the original firmware via factory reset. EDIT: just read that many users still have the problem after the update. It would be interesting to see if the downgrade/Factory Reset to the oldest firmware really fixes the problems.

Last edited:
I prefer an OLED, I have one, and did not mention anything about OLED here. The price argument is strange since the Sony FALDs do not have any more zones than Samsung ones do - usually the opposite - and the difference is in the algorithms.

It is starting to feel to me that you are intentionally misunderstanding what I am writing.

The argument for the price is not strange, but very clear and obviously you pretend to be interesting. Since it is at the price of OLED, why compare it with something else??? Since there are few areas for this price, am I to blame?
A lot of noise for nothing.

Vincent Teoh pretty much agreeing with the review. Great hardware, let down by poor software implementation.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom