Hisense U9A (H75U9AUK) Review & Comments

Steve, thanks for the nice review. It seems like a very nice TV considering the price.

Would you consider the cheaper Sony to be at the same level of this Hisense? By that I mean regarding uniformity, colour and image quality in general.

Steve, thanks for the nice review. It seems like a very nice TV considering the price.

Would you consider the cheaper Sony to be at the same level of this Hisense? By that I mean regarding uniformity, colour and image quality in general.

On the latest podcast, they say the XF90 is better.

Great Review Steve. Its impressive the amount of zones they have on this TV. As you said though its not all about zones but about how they control it. It makes me wonder what the Samsung would be like if it had 1000 zones. I would imagine the reason other companies don't push a huge amount of zones is cost so its impressive what Hisense have managed here. I would imagine its because they cut costs in other areas. I feel like 1000 zones or so would be a sweet spot for a high end LCD especially if they have the processing and software to use that to the best of its ability. At least until Mini LED comes along which at the moment is too costly according to Samsung.

Disappointing that it is an 8bit+FRC panel , maybe that accounts for the muted colours. I wonder if the 65 inch panel is better?

Great Review Steve. Its impressive the amount of zones they have on this TV. As you said though its not all about zones but about how they control it. It makes me wonder what the Samsung would be like if it had 1000 zones. I would imagine the reason other companies don't push a huge amount of zones is cost so its impressive what Hisense have managed here. I would imagine its because they cut costs in other areas. I feel like 1000 zones or so would be a sweet spot for a high end LCD especially if they have the processing and software to use that to the best of its ability. At least until Mini LED comes along which at the moment is too costly according to Samsung.

1000 zones is the reason why the 100" ZD9 is so impressive, we'll never see that on smaller consumer displays from Sony or Samsung, 107 zones on the Z9F is why it's so reasonably priced.

I didn't review the XF90, but Phil was very impressed by it.

Seems like Hisense really aren't moving forward with their refinements year on year - on specs this should absolutely murder the XF90 and be right up there with the best ...

Seems like Hisense really aren't moving forward with their refinements year on year - on specs this should absolutely murder the XF90 and be right up there with the best ...
I don't believe that true, I think Hisense have been delivering improvements year-on-year. The problem is the U9A has the most zones, the widest colour gamut, and the brightest panel of any TV released to date. Delivering all that effectively is a big ask for any manufacturer, and Hisense are probably guilty of trying to run before they can walk at the higher end of the market.

provided it uses native 10-bit panels in its high-end displays like other brands ! ;)

It's hard to see how, after adjustments, that even though grey scale and color accuracy is high that the colors would seem 'muted'. But if they are, why not turn up the 'color' control a notch or two?

Same goes for the slightly red tint on whites. Doesn't that mean that the white balance either can't be as accurate as measured, or that it's a perception issue?

I'm not sure about the sharpness control on this set, but a sharpness value of zero on many sets actually filters out the smaller details. It can be useful for noisy signals. In other words, they actually attenuate the higher frequency video information below 'flat'.

Arguably, fine detail (in other words high frequency video information) is reduced by everything from the lens, sensor, video compression, editing, and transmission to the user. While obviously up to the viewer's preferences, the best sharpness control setting would be one that allows maximum detail without obvious artifacts. In many cases, that may be well above zero.

Judder is removed by frame interpolation. While the reviewer claims that the frame interpolation is good for sports, he doesn't like it for movies, which means that he prefers the original judder in movies. These days, even movie theaters typically show their videos at 48 FPS with DLP projectors. At least some of what we see in movie theaters is due to frame interpolation.

Hi Steve,

Decent review score based on a price of £3,500. I noticed today that only 5 months later this set is available for only £1,999.

Would you be tempted to improve the score at that price? For me, sub 2k on a 75" beast like this seems like a must buy.

John Lewis are price matching, I have just had a email confirming that. The question is, do you go for this tv or the Sony which is £300 more?

Seems decent value at that price.

The big question from me is, can that god awful stand be removed allowing it to be wall mounted? It looks integrated with that sound bar, thus would look silly on the wall with it stick out.

EDIT: Seems like the looped front metal stand is detachable, but the lower wedge soundbar is part of the main TV and has the tv control built in. Would need to see one to assess how it would look, but from pictures that sticky out soundbar wedge does look pants.

Last edited:
Seems decent value at that price.

The big question from me is, can that god awful stand be removed allowing it to be wall mounted? It looks integrated with that sound bar, thus would look silly on the wall with it stick out.

EDIT: Seems like the looped front metal stand is detachable, but the lower wedge soundbar is part of the main TV and has the tv control built in. Would need to see one to assess how it would look, but from pictures that sticky out soundbar wedge does look pants.

I am sure the the tv can be wall mounted as it has vesa mounts at the back. Does that fact of a 8 bit panel with instead of a 10 bit bother you?

Yes seems it can, I had a look through the online manual.

It doesn't bother me unless there's a difference to be seen by the eye. I've not had a lot of experience with 4K and HDR other than on an older 2016 Hisense 65" tv so I'd be impressed with anything a solid 2018/2019 mid-range set offers. My 1080p ISF'd projector is here to stay for a few years yet, so I'm not rushing out to upgrade that or my processor to handle 4K/HDR images.

Currently we're looking at a 75 Samsung NU8000 but this could be worth a consideration at that price. Then we'd be back to the Hisense Smart system, which isn't terrible, but it lacks the fluidity and apps available on the Samsung Tizen system.

I'll have to see if there are any about in JL or Currys for a demo, but that seems unlikely.

Hi I did see the Samsung at £1699, not seen the Hisense in person either. Would love to hear more thoughts about it. What’s your thought on the Sony at £300 more. I think this will come down as new models come out around May.

Hi I did see the Samsung at £1699, not seen the Hisense in person either. Would love to hear more thoughts about it. What’s your thought on the Sony at £300 more. I think this will come down as new models come out around May.

The X900F is being carried over this year so don't think you will see the price budge that much as it won't be reaching end of line until this time next year ...

The X900F is being carried over this year so don't think you will see the price budge that much as it won't be reaching end of line until this time next year ...

The question is the Sony allot better for the extra 300, it also has Dolby vision

This has just been reduced to £1,499 at Currys.Pretty much unheard of price for a flagship 75".

2 year warranty included.

This has just been reduced to £1,499 at Currys.Pretty much unheard of price for a flagship 75".

2 year warranty included.

Just finished work and checked. No stock, did you buy at that price?

Just finished work and checked. No stock, did you buy at that price?

No mate - not a chance that I could fit that size in my flat. It was a no-brainer if you were after that size though and it looks like a couple of folks managed to order it at that price according to the thread on HUKD.

I really tempted to get this 65 at this price, is there anything better in this price range?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom