Hive installation with communal boiler

kgg

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone know if it’s possible to install Hive heating control in a flat with a communal boiler? There is currently a timer/controller for heating and water, a hot water tank with thermostat, two motorised valves, a pump and a room thermostat.
Hot water is supplied to the flat and returns back to the communal boiler.
I don’t understand how the pump is controlled.
I have Hive in my house and the Hive receiver simply has connections for water on/off and heating on/off.
Can’t get a definitive answer from Hive support.
Thanks.

Sounds likentou need someone competent to trace/work out how the communal boiler works with the local controls/installation in your flat.

I’ve seen many setups where existing houses have been converted to flats and the boiler/s just run 24/7 in case any flats need heat or hot water (so no demand signals from the flats back to the boiler room). I’ve also seen system done properly with demand back, using simple S-plan setups in each flat (so a zone valve for the heating and a zone valve for hot water).

In bigger developments there is usually a heat interface unit, looks a bit like a combo-boiler from the outside but actually houses plate heat exchangers and pumps that keep the boiler circuit fully hydraulically isolated from the heating/hot water systems in the flat.

So yes, fitting Hive in place of your existing controls should be pretty straight forward, but only if you’ve got experience of these kinds of setups and know how to trace the wiring/pipework to work out how it needs to be modified to suit the new controls.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom