Question Hive installed now heating stuck on permanently! Anyone else had similar issues?

Dazza

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Installed Tuesday afternoon. Gave up trying to switch it off using the app, thermostat and switched the boiler off manually.
Same problem the following day.

Boiler isn't responding to Hive commands or scheduling. The app, thermostat and the bottom green light on the receiver is off. So they all say the heating is not on but it is.

Got an engineer coming back out to it on Thursday. Not a great start!

It could be that the receiver/s are/is not paired to the thermostat.

This is assuming it is wired up correctly in the first place.

Try this:

Sounds like you got the output switch relay wired wrong to your boiler....

Got a pic of your wiring connections at the receiver terminals?

not withstanding the receiver wiring being wrong (an easy fix)

sounds like it could also be the zone valve micro switch which might be stuck in the closed position that would keep the circ pump running and the boiler firing until the boiler trips on its internal thermostat
once the boiler cools enough it will fire up again

if power is still onto the receiver the circulation pump will just keep running even if you turn off the boiler locally so I would check that

I have had this happen a couple of times and you are not aware of the issue until you hear the boiler running when it should be off

not withstanding the receiver wiring being wrong (an easy fix)

sounds like it could also be the zone valve micro switch which might be stuck in the closed position that would keep the circ pump running and the boiler firing until the boiler trips on its internal thermostat
once the boiler cools enough it will fire up again

if power is still onto the receiver the circulation pump will just keep running even if you turn off the boiler locally so I would check that

I have had this happen a couple of times and you are not aware of the issue until you hear the boiler running when it should be off

I have just had the exact same issue, Quick Amazon search, and £3 for a new micro switch and 2 mins to solder it in.

I have just had the exact same issue, Quick Amazon search, and £3 for a new micro switch and 2 mins to solder it in.
you did better than me unfortunately my soldering skills are zero so I forked out for a new zone valve £45.00
I will get the old valve micro switch repaired as a spare

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately i'm not savvy enough to start checking wiring or valve connections.
I'm certain its an installation issue as my heating was working perfectly before and is serviced annually.

you did better than me unfortunately my soldering skills are zero so I forked out for a new zone valve £45.00
I will get the old valve micro switch repaired as a spare
Was it a Danfoss valve by any chance?

Was it a Danfoss valve by any chance?
Lol yes spot on its know problem with Danfoss
I thought my heating was working perfectly until I changed my Hive receiver to a Danfoss Wiser Heat Hub that's when I noticed a problem

Lol yes spot on its know problem with Danfoss
I thought my heating was working perfectly until I changed my Hive receiver to a Danfoss Wiser Heat Hub that's when I noticed a problem

Pop the top off, there are 2 screws on either side of the motor. Carefully lift it off. there is a plastic plate it sits on that the switch is attached to. This unclips easily, but take care as the brass cam is underneath and is spring loaded, so if you go in heavy handed everything will pop out and you will have to reload and re-seat the spring.

Orange wire - switched live to pump/boiler
Grey wire - Permanent live
Brown wire - Switched live to stat/receiver
Blue wire - Neutral

Microswitch is on the right underneath the plastic plate the pump sits on.

IMG_20200114_171507.jpg

Pop the top off, there are 2 screws on either side of the motor. Carefully lift it off. there is a plastic plate it sits on that the switch is attached to. This unclips easily, but take care as the brass cam is underneath and is spring loaded, so if you go in heavy handed everything will pop out and you will have to reload and re-seat the spring.

Orange wire - switched live to pump/boiler
Grey wire - Permanent live
Brown wire - Switched live to stat/receiver
Blue wire - Neutral

Microswitch is on the right underneath the plastic plate the pump sits on.

View attachment 1244727
I have dismantled a zone valve many times to replace the motor and try and get the micro switch to break contact but there comes a stage when the plastic gets brittle with heat and things break off
unfortunately you can no longer get replacement actuators for the old models so you have to replace the whole unit but at least they come with clip on actuators

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom