Home distribution units

Loofah

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, We're having a house renovated and there's a central point where all data and AV cables are located. From there they should be distributed to various rooms but the builder has come up blank as to what happens here and frankly I just figured it would happen as if by magic...
I have come across the labgear 681, now obsolete, but that seemed to be for AV signals only. I'm wondering if there is a piece of kit that distributes both AV signals and data in one unit and if so what is it. If not, what's my best solution?
I appreciate I'm a bit behind the curve in this tech. I'm hoping that someone can get me up to speed with a few pointers?

What sort of audio-video signals and what sort of data signals are you dealing with?

If the 'Labgear 681' is the HDU681 then that appears to be for radio, terrestrial TV and satellite TV signals. Is that the AV or the Data? Do you need the full frequency range or just one or two of it's functions?

AV for satellite, UHF (terrestrial tv aerial), maybe DAB etc. By data I mean internet data, several rooms are wired with Cat6 so a data switch would be great if I can get an all in one solution

Cat6 for network traffic is just a standard network switch, an 8 port one can be picked up for circa £20, maybe a bit more if you need Power over Ethernet (PoE).

I don't know much about the TV side of things, what you want normally seems to be called a distribution amplifier.

So perhaps the best solution is the distribution amp and a separate switch then. Shame as I was hoping for one box the suit all.

Your aerial, fm and dab can be connected together. Your cat6 will need to be separate and connected to a patch panel.

If you are doing a full renovation then this isn't the type of stuff you want to leave to builder. So many different options and solutions and depends on your requirements.

Some things to think about:
Sky/Freeview/FM/DAB distribution
HDMI/Audio distribution
Network distribution
WIFI access points
CCTV/Alarm/Doorbell
Gate access
Smart home bits and bobs (IOT)

Without knowing what cabling your builder has provisioned it is hard to provide exact advice. Had you been one of my clients I would have specified Single or dual drops of WF100 or CT100 to a central location for RF distribution. Again without knowing how many and what satellite system it is hard to provide exact models. But I would have provisioned a Multiswitch for all RF Distribution.

For Data again without knowing how many network drops and how they are terminated I would have been looking at some form of patch panel in a rack connected, via patch cables to some form of unmanaged / smart gigabit switch.

I normally provide all of this specification to the client / builder in a detailed wiring and equipment schedule so that it all 'magically comes together' as most builders (no disrespect) have zero idea about AV / Structured cabling infrastructure. As an integrator it is what I do. You can always PM me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom