Homecoming (Amazon US/UK) S2 May 22, 2020

mafaa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
‘Homecoming’: Amazon Unveils Release Date for Julia Roberts Drama with Help from Radiohead — Watch

The podcast world is making its biggest leap yet into the land of TV. And it’s bringing Sam
Esmail and Julia Roberts with it.

Amazon released another look at its upcoming drama “Homecoming” on Friday, including Roberts’ lead role as Heidi Bergman, a psychologist looking to uncover the truth behind a top-secret veterans facility. The story is adapted from the Gimlet podcast of the same name, which debuted in late 2016.

“Shots Fired” alum Stephan James co-stars as Walter Cruz, a soldier struggling with his memories of military service. Bobby Cannavale (who also appeared on the most recent season of “Mr. Robot”) is also set to play Colin Belfast, Heidi’s aggressive boss tasked with keeping her and Cruz’s potential reintroduction to civilian life on course. Neither of these other characters appear in this teaser, but it does feature the filtered strains of Radiohead’s “Everything in Its Right Place.”

the cast of the Amazon version will also include Shea Whigham, Hong Chau, Alex Karpovsky, Dermot Mulroney, Sydney Poitier, and Sissy Spacek.

“Mr. Robot” creator Sam Esmail directed the series and will serve as an executive producer through its second season, which has already been ordered. The podcast itself ran its own second season last year, as writers Eli Horowitz and Micah Bloomberg also worked on the TV version of the story.

synopsis

Homecoming is a mind-bending psychological thriller starring Julia Roberts and directed by Sam Esmail (creator of Mr. Robot). Heidi Bergman (Roberts) is a caseworker at the Homecoming Transitional Support Center, a Geist Group facility helping soldiers transition back to civilian life. Walter Cruz (Stephan James) is one of these soldiers, eager to begin the next phase of his life. Overseeing Heidi and the facility is Colin Belfast (Bobby Cannavale), an ambitious company man whose manic demands point to questionable motives.

Four years later, Heidi has started a new life, living with her mother (Sissy Spacek) and working as a small-town waitress, when a Department of Defense auditor (Shea Whigham) comes to her with questions about why she left the Homecoming facility. Heidi begins to realize that there’s a whole other story behind the story she’s been telling herself.

homecoming-teaser-art.jpg

I'm a bit resentful that he isn't concentrating on Mr Robot season 4 until the end of the year just so he can get this show out. Oh, and he is directing ALL the episodes of this one too in addition to ALL the episodes of Mr Robot season 4 again.

I love the geezer but i'm genuinely concerned that he is going to have a full on nervous breakdown if he keeps this up. He's too much of a control freak.

Last edited:
Official Trailer

Looks great. Fantastic stylish trailer as well. Nothing spoilery.

I. Am. All. Over. This.

Is this going to be weekly or a splurge in one?

^^^
as per post #8 The 10-episode first season debuts November 2 on Amazon Prime

2 eps in, loving it.
Slow burn, excellent direction (as you would expect from Esmail ), great cast, Julia on form.
Set today, 70’s vibe, interesting direction, Mr Robot overhead shots with bottom of screen strangely out of focus.
Feels like a 60’s thriller. I got that “something not quite right” feeling, the same when I first watched Scorseses Cape Fear or The Manchurian Candidate.
Available in 4K but you have to scroll down (for a long time) to 4K content row (not the 4K prime tv shows box as it doesn’t exist within it???- when will they ever sort it).
Only 30 min eps, so won’t take long to finish it.

Last edited:
Looking forward to this. Hoping for some positive reviews once all 10 have been watched by folks.

Finished ep 4 and the mystery deepens..
Brilliant soundtrack - really adds to the mystery.
Read a few reviews on IMDB, some hate it... I’m in the opposite camp, it’s very refreshing, hope it doesn’t go south.
Walters (Stephen James) performance is up their with Roberts & Whigams, need to check out some of his other work.

Yeah, it's quite a trippy oddity to get your head around at first and the screen aspect changes for the other time certainly leave you scratching your head as to that choice.
It's secrecy piled on secrecy and that in itself can either cause intrigue or have you thinking it's doing it for itself and both Julia Roberts' and Shae Whigham's early jousting will either appeal or piss you off from the get go. And the style and feel of now and a little later jumping about will further have you going with it or off it.
If you like Mr Robot there's a good chance this will suit but if you don't like that and the mental games it likes to play that can be somewhat diversionary to movement this may well not be for you.

Wasn't going to start this till I'd boxed off some other stuff, but couldn't resist the first episode.

Certainly intriguing, and it's pulled me in for sure. Mr. Robot is perhaps my favourite TV show ever now, so as @encaser suggests, it's right up my street. Looking forward to seeing where it ends up. And knowing it has been renewed for another season, means any cliffhanger ending is fine with me.

Also, how refreshing is it to have something that's just 30 minutes long? I wish more shows did this, sometimes 50/60 mins is unnecessary. Means I should be able to squeeze in some episodes where normally I wouldn't be able to.

Bobby Cannavale and Shea Wigham as well. Two very good actors, who really should be on our screens much more.

Well I did watch the first season out, but I wasn't mightily impressed. Despite the good cast. Plus it's disappointing Roberts won't be back.

I'll 100% be waiting till the reviews come in to decide whether to continue or not with Season 2.

They should have picked a director who could match Esmail's creativity. I predict that this gets cancelled after S2

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom