HomePlug FAQ *Part 2*

Ok, I'll do that at some point but there were no instructions so gotta try and wing it a bit. Assuming I get fairly solid speeds would my 'setup' idea from my previous post be of use?

Hi guys, I've browsed this forum and I can't see an answer to this, but please accept my apologies if this has been asked before.

I have two adsl lines into my house. One for home broadband, one for work broadband... Two separate routers.

My home broadband is networked and is working very well over my mains. I would now like to do the same thing with my work broadband... Question is, is it possible to set up two separate networks over mains without them interfering or effecting each other?

Thanks in advance
Matt

You mean run both subnets over a single Homeplug network? Should work, eg. home on 192.168.0.x, work on 10.0.0.x.

A Homeplug with two or more LAN ports (ie. internal switch) could be used to transmit/receive the data from both subnets, by connecting both the work and home routers to the Homeplug. Homeplugs at the "other end" would only need a single LAN port.

Or uplink the work broadband to the home router, and then connect the home router to your Homeplug network.

You could also have a dedicated "home" Homeplug network, and another (separate) "work" Homeplug network using Homeplug security to sync Homeplug devices to the correct network (ie. the "office" might be synced to the "work" network with the rest of the house synced to the "home" network), but that will impact performance for all devices, home and work.

Thanks for the feedback Millhouse. I hadn't thought about running two broadband lines through my main router.... I'm going to look into that a but more... Thank you

Hi I've been using Belkin HD gigabit home plugs and they've been plugged in to the wall upstairs where my setup is and downstairs through a non surge 4 plug extension lead. Today my landlord has plugged in two other plugs in to the extension lead, there's usually just the home plug and one other. But now there's no traffic through the home plug, the Middle light is off. Could it be that the interference is now too much? There's no other option downstairs to have the home plug plugged in to the wall and don't really want to buy pass through ?! Unless there's a cheap alternative?

I've bought, but haven't opened yet, some 500 tplink homeplugs, at the moment the WiFi from the Sky hub v2 isn't too bad, better than I thought.

Would, in general, homeplug on my sky, non fibre, approx 8-9Mbps, be faster than WiFi?

Thinking wether I actually need homeplug or not.

Thanks

hi all. been reading up most of the evening on homeplugs/powerlines etc. and i have to admit i'm getting a bit baffled. basically i have virgin media 152mb service. wired i'm getting the full speed but a quick check on speedtest.net on my laptop and i max out at 33mb, which is pretty dam poor. ive recently started playing online again on my xone and been having diffs, so guessing i'm getting the same poor speeds.

i'm thinking maybe a set of homeplugs would sort out my xone. so i'm looking a set that will transfer the fastest possible speed to the console.

is it just two plugs that i need? not sure about passthroughs and the like?

sorry for the dopey question, but this is very new to me.

thanks.

I've just bought the Devolo 650+ triple starter kit. It's way better than I need; however, it should see me through my fibre upgrade this year and whatever speeds I will be able to get for years to come. It also has three Ethernet sockets on one of them, so ideal for TV, set top box and bluray all fed from one unit. It was £99, but I'm sure something half the price would have been fine for me. Your speeds are blistering though... You might want to look at the new 1200 units. Lots of info on the web as to why the speeds quoted by the manufactures can't be achieved. Oh - make sure you get them with gigabit Ethernet sockets. Many still have 100 sockets, which means that you can only get 100 max (I think that's right).
Yes, you only need two plugs. One plugs into the wall by the router. I'd suggest getting one with passthrough as then you don't lose a socket - you can plug the router into the socket on the powerline unit. Then use the Ethernet cable from the powerline to the router.
Then go to your xone (whatever that is!!) and do the same. Powerline into wall socket, zone thingy plugged into powerline passthrough socket, Ethernet cable connecting both. So now you have a wired connection from router to zone. There might be a button on each powerline which you have to press to make them recognise each other. I pressed the one on the router side, it started flashing, then I pressed the one on the equipment I was connecting (zone powerline in you case). Voila, they worked. I also downloaded software from Devolo (Cockpit) which is great as it monitors them. Oh, almost forgot, I have an old Devolo 200 unit (from work) which I put in the garage to connect to my solar panels. So I can monitor their output online. It was recognised instantly by the software and now all three work seamlessly.
I used them because my wifi on my Bluray was poor and kept dropping out whilst watching Netflix on my projector. I didn't want to drill holes through two walls to put in a proper connection.
Any questions, just ask. But it really is simple - I know bugger all about this stuff, and I did it in 1 minute. I think it's a bit more complicated if you get powerlines which double as wifi extenders though.

I'm having fibre installed at the master socket in the lounge. I need to get internet to 3 locations, study, other side of lounge, and playroom. I would also like to boost wifi in the playroom as it's furthest away.

Can I have a homeplug by the router (with passthrough) and 2 non wifi adapters in the study and lounge and a wifi one in the playroom?

Can all of them including the wifi one have ethernet ports?

I will be using a Netgear WNR2200 router

Any advice/recommendations appreciated.

I've just bought the Devolo 650+ triple starter kit. It's way better than I need; however, it should see me through my fibre upgrade this year and whatever speeds I will be able to get for years to come. It also has three Ethernet sockets on one of them, so ideal for TV, set top box and bluray all fed from one unit. It was £99, but I'm sure something half the price would have been fine for me. Your speeds are blistering though... You might want to look at the new 1200 units. Lots of info on the web as to why the speeds quoted by the manufactures can't be achieved. Oh - make sure you get them with gigabit Ethernet sockets. Many still have 100 sockets, which means that you can only get 100 max (I think that's right).
Yes, you only need two plugs. One plugs into the wall by the router. I'd suggest getting one with passthrough as then you don't lose a socket - you can plug the router into the socket on the powerline unit. Then use the Ethernet cable from the powerline to the router.
Then go to your xone (whatever that is!!) and do the same. Powerline into wall socket, zone thingy plugged into powerline passthrough socket, Ethernet cable connecting both. So now you have a wired connection from router to zone. There might be a button on each powerline which you have to press to make them recognise each other. I pressed the one on the router side, it started flashing, then I pressed the one on the equipment I was connecting (zone powerline in you case). Voila, they worked. I also downloaded software from Devolo (Cockpit) which is great as it monitors them. Oh, almost forgot, I have an old Devolo 200 unit (from work) which I put in the garage to connect to my solar panels. So I can monitor their output online. It was recognised instantly by the software and now all three work seamlessly.
I used them because my wifi on my Bluray was poor and kept dropping out whilst watching Netflix on my projector. I didn't want to drill holes through two walls to put in a proper connection.
Any questions, just ask. But it really is simple - I know bugger all about this stuff, and I did it in 1 minute. I think it's a bit more complicated if you get powerlines which double as wifi extenders though.

this is great, thanks alot!!! xone = xbox one lol. trying to be down with the kids in my shorthand typing.

Just remember that you have really fast internet speed, so make sure that your powerlines can use it all. And then it's simply a matter of choosing the make, deciding if you want a passthrough socket (advantage - you don't lose a power socket, disadvantage - they are bigger and bulkier, and more expensive of course), and if you want one with more than one Ethernet (LAN) socket. I think that only TP Link do a 1200 with 3 LAN sockets, but I might be wrong.
Here are three links:
Powerline - Products - Welcome to TP-LINK
Solwise - Introduction to HomePlug
dLAN® Powerline adapters. Internet and Wi-Fi in any room - devolo AG
All are available from Amazon. Maybe if you choose what you think you want, then post a link and someone here can advise if it's suitable or if there are any alternatives. I honestly know diddly squat about this stuff, but it really is just plug and play, and doing a bit of work to make sure you buy something to fit your current and future needs.
Cheers

I'm having fibre installed at the master socket in the lounge. I need to get internet to 3 locations, study, other side of lounge, and playroom. I would also like to boost wifi in the playroom as it's furthest away.

Can I have a homeplug by the router (with passthrough) and 2 non wifi adapters in the study and lounge and a wifi one in the playroom?

Can all of them including the wifi one have ethernet ports?

I will be using a Netgear WNR2200 router

Any advice/recommendations appreciated.

How about this? All Solwise

Router - 500av piggy premium
Lounge - 500av 4 port premium (sky box, TV)
Study - 500av 4 port premium (sky box, TV, Desktop)
Playroom - Net - PLV-500av Pewn (Wifi extender) (xbox, TV)

Thanks

Yes, all looks OK to me - they all have the gigabit ports. Don't know anything about the wifi extender part of it I'm afraid. I suspect you're like me and worrying if it's all going to work and whether it will be easy to set up! Honestly, it's a piece of cake!

From what I've read it is straight forward, we will see!

I'll get it ordered, thanks

Thnk I,m going to have to sell my devolo 650+, only getting just over 100Mb/s out of them. Have virgin 152Mb so that isn't ideal, but it is also slowing down transfers to my NAS. Going to bite the bullet and hardware I think.

Seems around 100Mb/s is about what should be expected, so that's a shame. The triple Ethernet ports and passthrough was really handy.

Thnk I,m going to have to sell my devolo 650+, only getting just over 100Mb/s out of them. Have virgin 152Mb so that isn't ideal, but it is also slowing down transfers to my NAS. Going to bite the bullet and hardware I think.

Seems around 100Mb/s is about what should be expected, so that's a shame. The triple Ethernet ports and passthrough was really handy.

With the set I reviewed I did exceed 100Mbps in quite a few of the tests. I presume the router is connected to the powerline adaptor via a Gigabit Ethernet port and not a Fast one?

There are a ton of factors that affect the speeds you are likely to get from one home to the next.

Yes, but through a gigabit switch first. I do have my computer pugged into the second socket in the double gang, which according to the 'troubleshooting' might not be ideal, but can't be helped.

It's fine for general use - never noticed downloads being slow, but now I have faster broadband and need faster transfer speeds to my NAS it isn't enough.

Sorry, just to check. You have the powerline adaptor connected to a gigabit switch, then the router connected to this gigabit switch via the router's gigabit ethernet port? Just checking as some routers are pretty sneaking and only have one specific port that is Gigabit.

Yes. Linksys E3200 should have four gigabit ports. But I have only one cable from the switch to the router - all other wired devices go into the switch (netgear prosafe 8 port gigabit switch), including the powerline.

I'm in need of some help, I have 3 TP- Link TL-PA2030 AV200 3 port powerline adapters, which have been paired and working together for the last 3 months or so but about an hour ago while I was playing Destiny i got kicked from the game due to them losing connection to the network. They are all detecting that they are connected to a ethernet cable by the light being solid and occasionally flashing(says in the manual that flashing means at least one port is transferring data) but no matter what order I try to pair them, they just will not establish a powerline network?

It's really starting to annoy me tonight so will leave it tonight and come and check back here in the morning to see if anybody has been able to post any suggestions and try to fix it in the morning.

Thanks in advance.

My power line adapters worked fine for months. Then suddenly a few weeks back they fail to find each other. Noting has changed in terms of setup and nothing extra has bee plugged in.
Every now and then they find each other but it's becoming a pita. Had to plug a cheap wifi extender in.
My home plugs are on network ones.

Hey guys I have some 4 year old belkin home plugs gigabit and am finding the middle light keeps flickering yellow indicating slow speeds. I am starting to notice lag when playing games and slow internet speed upstairs

I have the one downstairs plugged in to a small extension cord but it's only very recently it's been slow (I have no option but to use the cord as it's not my house) it is connected to a EE bright box router so probably only 100mb transfer anyway

Would pas through plugs be better for me? And anyone aware of Any decent priced ones. Possibly with a wifi extender also?

Hey guys I have some 4 year old belkin home plugs gigabit and am finding the middle light keeps flickering yellow indicating slow speeds. I am starting to notice lag when playing games and slow internet speed upstairs

I have the one downstairs plugged in to a small extension cord but it's only very recently it's been slow (I have no option but to use the cord as it's not my house) it is connected to a EE bright box router so probably only 100mb transfer anyway

Would pas through plugs be better for me? And anyone aware of Any decent priced ones. Possibly with a wifi extender also?

Depends how much you want to pay. I've reviewed some superb ones from Devolo but they are very pricey.
Devolo dLAN 1200+ Powerline Review | AVForums

For a basic set with AV passthrough you can't go wrong with these at £37
TP-LINK TL-PA451KIT AV500 Powerline Adapter with AC Pass Through Starter Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

If you want wifi and passthrough these look good value but don't expect huge speeds from the Wifi.
TP-LINK TL-WPA4230P Kit AV500 Powerline 300 M Wi-Fi Extender/Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with AC Pass Through, Multiple Ethernet Ports, Starter Kit/Twin Pack (Easy Configuration, Wi-Fi Clone for Smartphone/Tablets/Laptop): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom