HomePlug FAQ *Part 2*

Unfortunately I've followed every step but no joy. The programme it had me download doesn't appear to open when I click it.

Is it possible to plug the LAN port of an Openreach modem into a homeplug and move the router into another room then connect the router to a second homepug? I would also like to connect a network switch to the first homeplug which is currently connected to the router.
Reason for wanting to do this is to reloacate the wifi router to a more efficient wifi area.

Is it possible to plug the LAN port of an Openreach modem into a homeplug and move the router into another room then connect the router to a second homepug? I would also like to connect a network switch to the first homeplug which is currently connected to the router.
Reason for wanting to do this is to reloacate the wifi router to a more efficient wifi area.
This something I like to know too

I've got TP-Link TL-PA2030's....... They've got 4 ethernet ports on each, so can I just plug extra stuff in?

i.e. they take the connection from downstairs to upstairs, can I plug a second device in upstairs? Or do I need to connect a second lan cable to the router downstairs?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Can power line plug be plugged into a extension strip or need be in the main socket

It can be plugged into an extension, it's not recommended though.

No issues so far. Mine are the 411 I think the model is, newish 500 Mbs ones. I have one in my kitchen and never heard it make any sound

We need some good quality home plugs to extend wi fi signal across a big house. Any advice appreciated on models, makes quality etc.....

Last edited:
I've been running devolo 200mbps home plugs flawlessly for a few years (about 6 throughout the house).

I recently acquired 3 devolo 500 Mbps plugs for a bargain price so I thought they would make a nice upgrade on the key points of my network.

I installed them yesterday. The 500mbps ones are fine, but none of the 200mbps plugs now have an Internet connection.

I've tried pushing the encryption button again on the main plug next to my sky router and then pushing them on all the others, but still getting nothing.

If I load the devolo 500 Mbps software it can see the 3 500mbps plugs but not the 200s (but not sure if this software would pick them up).

Am I missing something?

Thanks

EDIT : Fixed it. I opened the Devolo software again and clicked "add adapter", then clicked on link at the bottom of that window to add the security key manually. Worked like a charm.

Last edited:
I've upgraded to fibre now and I'm disappointed with powerline plug speeds I'm getting. I thought they would be a good substitute for hard Ethernet wiring but seems not in my case.

My fibre is 38Mbps, if I plug my comport direct into the router it flies and I get about 29-32Mbps, still not perfect.

I have a tplink 500 plugged in where router is and about 4M away, on same floor, another tplink 500 where's my computer is. I'm only getting around 20Mbps using speedtest. This is with WiFi switched off so only this computer connecting and tested at all times of day and night.

The house is only 10 year old so should be decent wiring, nothing is running, washing machines etc when I test.

Shouldn't I be getting better than this? Firmware is up to date on homeplugs to.

Anymore help, was hoping to expand using these, but hanging back now.

Shouldn't I be getting better than this? Firmware is up to date on homeplugs to.

You clearly have an issue with your wiring. Or faulty homeplugs. Try moving the homeplugs to different sockets/different rooms to see if that makes any difference. If the performance is similar in every socket/room, or even the same room, then I'd suspect a fault in one or both of the homeplugs. Or your wiring is foobar.

With 500-AV and decent/problem-free wiring you should be getting close to 150Mbps actual TCP throughput (as tested using iperf).

You clearly have an issue with your wiring. Or faulty homeplugs. Try moving the homeplugs to different sockets/different rooms to see if that makes any difference. If the performance is similar in every socket/room, or even the same room, then I'd suspect a fault in one or both of the homeplugs. Or your wiring is foobar.

With 500-AV and decent/problem-free wiring you should be getting close to 150Mbps actual TCP throughput (as tested using iperf).
The ones I'm using are single Ethernet pass through, I also have another set of tplink double Ethernet pass through. Suppose could try those.

Good idea on moving to different socket in house, only testing I'm proving is speedtest for actual download speed. Not sure what you mean by TCP throughput using iperf though sorry. When you say I should get 150Mbps is that just from homeplug to homeplug? Not my actual internet speed

Not sure what you mean by TCP throughput using iperf though sorry. When you say I should get 150Mbps is that just from homeplug to homeplug? Not my actual internet speed

I mean you should be able to transfer 150Mbps between two computers connected at either end of your Homeplug 500-AV network (and has nothing to do with your internet connection).

iperf is a network performance testing tool that you run on two computers connected to your network and with it you can measure the actual achievable TCP (and also UDP) bandwidth that the network connecting the two machines is able to sustain.

Hi all,
I have a pair of Comtrend DH-10PF 200Mbps Powerline Adapter with Filter. They are old but work. However I use my iPad in the bedroom but am struggling for signal. Would I be able to buy a much newer wifi HomePlug/Powerline add on, that would work with these? Would the new add on struggle because of the old kit? Is there one that you would recommend?
Thanks.

The Comtrend DH-10PF uses (used?) the DS2 Powerline standard and is not compatible with the Atheros based devices that power probably every Homeplug product you'll now find in the market.

My advice: Power off the DH-10PFs, carefully remove them from the power socket (there was a safety recall of Comtrend devices), and drop them in a bin as they're not going to work with anything you can buy, unless you find another DH-10PF on eBay.

Happy with Solwise kit here.

Thanks for that. I will look for a kit now. Unfortunately I am trying to spend my money on Rakuten as I have a £60 credit with them. I will see what they have. Not the best website but sometimes they have kit that I need.
Cheers.
Matthew

Hi - was expecting FAQ OP, but seems like a normal Q&A thread...am I doing it wrong or I get that right?

It seems this is the place to post questions, but I imagine my question has been asked a lot but there are pages of things!

So I will ask anyway (apologies and thanks!):

I have a home network that uses 4 200mbps powerlines. They are 2 different makes & models but seem to co-exists just fine.

Anyway I want more for more rooms, but also want to have ones that boost the wifi in other rooms. If I buy one of them will it work or do wifi ones have to be a pair?

OR...am I better investing in a new set of say 6 x 500mbps powerlines with wifi?

The last option seems good but I do use some of these powerlines on the end of 4 way sockets which I know can limit the throughput.

If I do that am I wasting the money on the higher bandwidth (throughput whatever) if I use things like 4 way sockets ?

Hi folks

Ive got a fairly elaborate home set up with 2 different internet supplies, 2 different electric circuits for different parts of the house and loads of home plugs, some of which beam out wifi aswell.

It all tends to work fairly well, and when things go wrong I can usually fix them.

Ive tried to introduce another home plug with wifi output today, its one I've used in the past without any issues. Its a solwise, and when I try and connect I'm getting a "failed to obtain ip address" error showing on my phone as it tries to connect to the wifi.

Ive done a reset using the little button but no joy. Is there any obvious reason why this might be happening? I have no reason to think the plug is damaged, it worked fine as recently as about a month ago and has just been sat on the shelf since then.

Thanks

How do home plugs configure themselves when more than one set are used. I've been using 1 set perfectly to stream 1080p HD content to my Intel NUC with kodi on. I recently introduced another set of home plugs by a different vender and connected a raspberry pi to that with Kodi on again and I can't stream to both of them at the same time. It seems whichever device I start first with stream perfectly while the other will start streaming and then end up stuttering and buffering after several minutes :(

Is there anyway round this or is this just the downfall of home plugs?

Can you add an adapter into a homeplug that only has one ethernet port that will enable you to get an extra port, so that instead of one you would have two???

Can you add an adapter into a homeplug that only has one ethernet port that will enable you to get an extra port, so that instead of one you would have two???
I've got a homeplug connected to a little hub and then my TV and Apple TV connected to the hub and seems to work fine.

Hi folks

Ive got a fairly elaborate home set up with 2 different internet supplies, 2 different electric circuits for different parts of the house and loads of home plugs, some of which beam out wifi aswell.

It all tends to work fairly well, and when things go wrong I can usually fix them.

Ive tried to introduce another home plug with wifi output today, its one I've used in the past without any issues. Its a solwise, and when I try and connect I'm getting a "failed to obtain ip address" error showing on my phone as it tries to connect to the wifi.

Ive done a reset using the little button but no joy. Is there any obvious reason why this might be happening? I have no reason to think the plug is damaged, it worked fine as recently as about a month ago and has just been sat on the shelf since then.

Thanks
Hi @Fat_Tony - sorry I can't answer your question, but you may be able to help with my question (just above yours) about using 200 and 500 on same set up....?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom