Horribly out of date - help picking AV Amp

happhhitachi

Established Member
Reaction score
Current set up:

55" LG screen (NOT 4K)
Yamaha Amp - RXV 4600 (I think) around 10 years old.
5.1 system (B&W fronts, Monolith Sub, Mordant Short rears)
Virgin TV Box - the new record 6 channels job
Amazon Fire box (NOT 4K)

Amp died need replacement, might be new, might be second user. Budget £300 - £500

After that next upgrade likely to be TV in few years and that WILL be 4K

Been out of the market for 8 years tech has moved on dramatically what should I be looking for in terms of functionality, standards, connectivity and tech?

Help please...

Maybe consider last years RXV781?

Yamaha RX-V781 7.2 Channel MusicCast AV Receiver with Dolby Atmos & DTS:X | Peter Tyson

It doesn't measure up to your current model when it comes to power ratings, but does give you the upgrade abilities you are after as far as UHD and 4K are concerned. It will even be subject to a Dolby Vision and HLG update when Yamaha get around to releasing it. It is a 7.1 receiver and also includes both Atmos and DTS:X decoding. Thses new formats would require you to add 2 presence speakers to your current 5.1 setup though.

RX-V781 - Overview - AV Receivers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

+1. Also it has pre-outs if in future you feel the need to give it a bit more grunt via external amps.

Maybe consider last years RXV781?

Yamaha RX-V781 7.2 Channel MusicCast AV Receiver with Dolby Atmos & DTS:X | Peter Tyson

It doesn't measure up to your current model when it comes to power ratings, but does give you the upgrade abilities you are after as far as UHD and 4K are concerned. It will even be subject to a Dolby Vision and HLG update when Yamaha get around to releasing it. It is a 7.1 receiver and also includes both Atmos and DTS:X decoding. Thses new formats would require you to add 2 presence speakers to your current 5.1 setup though.

RX-V781 - Overview - AV Receivers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

How does this compare against the Yamaha RX-A660 which Peter Tyson is selling for roughly the same price?

How does this compare against the Yamaha RX-A660 which Peter Tyson is selling for roughly the same price?

I'd rate the 781 as being the better equipped receiver. You're paying for the Aventage classification and the associated build quality. I think the only real advantage is that all of the A660's HDMI inputs will be HDCP 2.2 compliant while the RXV781 only has this in association with its first 3 HDMI inputs. You'd not get the dual HDMI outs or the multichannel pre outs with the A660 and it is a slightly less powerful model. The more comparable Aventage model to the V781 would be the RXA860.

sony strdn1080
"Testament to just how accomplished and entertaining we find this Sony is we didn’t find a genuine, worthwhile step-up in performance until we went beyond the £2000 mark. The Denon AVR-X6400H is one of the company’s top-ranking AV receivers this year, and it’s our top pick if you’re willing to spend some serious dosh on your system."

Denon and Sony win What Hi-Fi? 2017 Awards for two superb home cinema amps

sony strdn1080
"Testament to just how accomplished and entertaining we find this Sony is we didn’t find a genuine, worthwhile step-up in performance until we went beyond the £2000 mark. The Denon AVR-X6400H is one of the company’s top-ranking AV receivers this year, and it’s our top pick if you’re willing to spend some serious dosh on your system."

Denon and Sony win What Hi-Fi? 2017 Awards for two superb home cinema amps

Lol. Don't confuse me even more. I was all set for the Yamaha RX-V781.

Just done a deal on a 2nd user RX-A1030 which looks to meet my needs. Looking at what's moved on in the last 8/10 years the only things that will genuinely be useful to me are 4K pass through as more 4K content appears and in a couple of years when current panel comes to be upgraded to a 4K unit. All the streaming function is most likely to go unused.

Currently running 5.1 and happy with that, more speakers are possible in the future but that's tied into plans to re-plaster the living room which opens the door to recessed ceiling mount speakers with wires chased into wall so again a couple of years away and the RX-A1030 does 7.1 so a half way house...

Thanks for all the comment, most useful, will post when new receiver is installed.

Just done a deal on a 2nd user RX-A1030 which looks to meet my needs. Looking at what's moved on in the last 8/10 years the only things that will genuinely be useful to me are 4K pass through as more 4K content appears and in a couple of years when current panel comes to be upgraded to a 4K unit. All the streaming function is most likely to go unused.

Currently running 5.1 and happy with that, more speakers are possible in the future but that's tied into plans to re-plaster the living room which opens the door to recessed ceiling mount speakers with wires chased into wall so again a couple of years away and the RX-A1030 does 7.1 so a half way house...

Thanks for all the comment, most useful, will post when new receiver is installed.

The A1030 lacks the 4K capabilities you were after. It is neither HDCP 2.2 or HDR compliant.

I've just ordered the Yamaha RX-V781. Hoping this will be a good upgrade from my Sony STR-DG820 that's on it's way out. Thanks for the advice @dante01 I decided to go for the Yamaha over the Sony STR-DN1080

4K passthrough isn't the same thing as having HDCP 2.2 compliance. Almost all UHD commercial content is protected by HDCP 2.2. Non compliant devices cannot passthrough such content and the RXA1030 isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant. You'd effectively not be able to passthrough any 4K video sourced via UHD discs, content accessed via 4K streaming services such as Netflix or Amazon Video or via services such as SKY Q or BT.

Last edited:
Dante01

OK thanks for the info, interesting and filed for future reference. Disappointing but not the end of the world, at the moment not an issue as I don't have a 4K screen or any 4K sources. I did however need a new Amp as the old unit died. Guessing I'd have had to spend more for DHCP 2.2 and what I paid for the RX-A1030 was as much as I wanted to spend anyway.

None the less thanks for the info.

you can pick up a avr new for as little as £149 with dhcp 2.2 / hdr pass through
no idea what they sound like

Dante01

OK thanks for the info, interesting and filed for future reference. Disappointing but not the end of the world, at the moment not an issue as I don't have a 4K screen or any 4K sources. I did however need a new Amp as the old unit died. Guessing I'd have had to spend more for DHCP 2.2 and what I paid for the RX-A1030 was as much as I wanted to spend anyway.

None the less thanks for the info.

I wouldn't worry, if your TV is not hdcp 2.2 compliant and your not intending to upgrade yet. As I have a virgin v6 box, a compliant avr, but my TV isn't. Because the full chain isn't hdcp 2.2 compliant I get an error message. I didn't on my previous amp. The solution for me was to feed virgin direct to tv and use the optical out.

All useful info but I'm happy with my decision and looking forward to getting the new Amp at the weekend. This will be my 3rd second user Yamaha Amp off this forum, first 2 were great buys and gave good service, represented value given life and cost.

I wouldn't worry, if your TV is not hdcp 2.2 compliant and your not intending to upgrade yet. As I have a virgin v6 box, a compliant avr, but my TV isn't. Because the full chain isn't hdcp 2.2 compliant I get an error message. I didn't on my previous amp. The solution for me was to feed virgin direct to tv and use the optical out.

Interesting as I have a Virgin v6 box. Didn't realise that was 4K compliant (shows how much attention I've been paying for the last few years) but easy workaround, thanks.

Interesting as I have a Virgin v6 box. Didn't realise that was 4K compliant (shows how much attention I've been paying for the last few years) but easy workaround, thanks.
Because both the avr and the tv are both non compliant you shouldn't have any problem feeding 1080p content from your v6.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom