Question Hot swap caddy BUT front loader with usb output..

StanleyKubrick

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello again!
Okay, so I have these 3.5 sata hard drives with various bits on them, currently I use a hot swap caddy (the top loading 2.5 & 3.5 type) but what I'd ideally like, as I just hate the look, is a hot swap caddy that is front loading, okay I am aware of ones you can install in a desktop pc etc, but none I have found have the usb output to the rear, only a sata cable connector...anyone help with locating one or have a brilliant idea?

Nothing comes to mind exactly like that, you can get DAS that are front loading but they come with their own caddies the HDD's must be attached to first (it's not a straight plug like the top loader).

See Terramaster units as example like the 2 bay or 5 bay variants, you can ignore the RAID functions and just use the drives as standalone so they work the same as any external USB drive.

More examples like this also USB.

What you could do if you don't mind breaking things is get a front loading enclosure that doesn't use trays but has doors on it's front and break off the doors, then it is like the top loader with open access however some of those designs require the door which is part of the eject mechanism of the HDD.

I couldn't tell you which would be the right HDD enclosure to buy for that I have seen them in the past but the names change, you'd have to look at photos of the enclosure and see if it is tool-less and tray-less, maybe this unit on Amazon could be viable.

Edit: If you know someone with access to a 3D printer you could gut the top loader of it's hardware and just print a new front loading case for it, all it needs is plastic casing.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thank you next010 very nice of you to take time and help out, both very nice, but both very expensive. The first one okay, it's just the price.
Maybe I've found a niche market?! I can't be the only person who'd want a caddy that would fit nicely along side a Oppo203 or even a smart tv with usb? Thanks again bud, keep looking and report back if you see of anymore...please.

Yeah, I don't think many people regularly acquire new hard drives they want to connect to their TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom