Hot tub power ( mains plugs ) supply ?

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So , has anyone heard of a hot tub being supplied in this country with a European 2 pin plug , doesn't seem right to me , thoughts please đź‘Ť

Buy a 3 pin adapter, my black and decker drill was supplied with one as standard, or fit a UK 3 pin.
Wouldn't have thought it a big deal

Buy a 3 pin adapter, my black and decker drill was supplied with one as standard, or fit a UK 3 pin.
Wouldn't have thought it a big deal

I was thinking about the earthing of it , guess it must be double insulated then .....

Last edited:
I was thinking about the earthing of it , guess it must be double insulated then .....
Thats easy enough to check. Isn't it a double box symbol on the item ?
There is probably very little earthed if you look around the stuff you plug in these days

Thats easy enough to check. Isn't it a double box symbol on the item ?
There is probably very little earthed if you look around the stuff you plug in these days

ahh , its not mine , I was just wondering if the brother in law might blow himself up ........

Unless it's a temporary inflatable type I'd put a proper outdoor plug on it. The CEE/Commando ones used in caravans (and lots of other things) should be perfectly fine.

Was this bought from Ebay/Amazon Marketplace/Facebook? Lots of dodgy sellers doing business through those sites these days.

Unless it's a temporary inflatable type I'd put a proper outdoor plug on it. The CEE/Commando ones used in caravans (and lots of other things) should be perfectly fine.

Was this bought from Ebay/Amazon Marketplace/Facebook? Lots of dodgy sellers doing business through those sites these days.

knowing him , it will be from dodgy marketplace or web place , apparently got it working by stuffing the plug in a shaving adapter which blue the fuse , so they put a 13amp one in ....

Sounds like a grey import, they should be earthed definitely!

I *think* it’s illegal to sell mains electrical products in the UK NOT fitted with a UK BS 3-pin plug?

What is the power consumption figure and can you post a picture of the data plate? Is the fitted 2-pin plug fused?

Last edited:
I *think* it’s illegal to sell mains electrical products in the UK NOT fitted with a UK BS 3-pin plug?

What is the power consumption figure and can you post a picture of the data plate? Is the fitted 2-pin plug fused?

Can’t answer your questions , sorry , one thing though , I don’t think any 2 pin plugs are fused are they ?

The UK (and associated places) uses the BS1363 plugs, which were designed primarily for our Ring Final (Main in 1947) circuits, which have a fuse or mcb typically of 30/32A. Hence the need of a fuse in the plug, to protect the appliance flex and prevent overloading the socket outlet.

European countries do not have this system. They have some two pin plugs, which are unearthed (usually for very small loads), slightly larger unearthed two pin plugs for double insulated appliances and earthed two pin plugs for their Class 1 appliances.

I suspect this hot tub would come supplied with one of the last two. There is a BS1363 adaptor for the smaller Europlug, not sure if there’s one for the bigger two.

As has been said, they should remove the two pin plug, and replace with a UK plug, and following the manufacturers instructions. Hope they are still not using the shaver adapter, a hot tub by nature would probably require a supply of more than 6A, I would of thought.

The UK (and associated places) uses the BS1363 plugs, which were designed primarily for our Ring Final (Main in 1947) circuits, which have a fuse or mcb typically of 30/32A. Hence the need of a fuse in the plug, to protect the appliance flex and prevent overloading the socket outlet.

European countries do not have this system. They have some two pin plugs, which are unearthed (usually for very small loads), slightly larger unearthed two pin plugs for double insulated appliances and earthed two pin plugs for their Class 1 appliances.

I suspect this hot tub would come supplied with one of the last two. There is a BS1363 adaptor for the smaller Europlug, not sure if there’s one for the bigger two.

As has been said, they should remove the two pin plug, and replace with a UK plug, and following the manufacturers instructions. Hope they are still not using the shaver adapter, a hot tub by nature would probably require a supply of more than 6A, I would of thought.

thanks , yes they are still using the shaver adapter , I do have a small amount of electrical experience , not enough to be confident even if work try and get me to do more , I just don't feel comfortable , give me a hammer and I'm happy !!!! , this situation just didn't sit right with me , and it appears as though I was correct , at least partly , appreciate your input :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom