Hot tub / spas.. Who's got one?

Your scaring me now, your not my neighbour I hope!! lol
Sadly I do not have a Hot Tub, only a paddling pool, some lubricant and a vivid imagination :thumbsup:

So, were pretty decided on the model now, but a spanner in the works.

Looks like we may be able to buy a 20' x 65 strip of land next to our house which would transform our garden in many ways, waiting to hear the cost from the council, that will put the kibosh on a hot tub spend, for a few months....

I lived in a flat underneath a friends large house after I split up with the ex, he too had a lovely hot tub, brilliant in winter for relaxing, managed to get a few dates to join me in the tub, was a mini selling point...

Ive got a cheap and cheerful inflatable one, only had bubbles no jets but I love it. Takes a little looking after to keep the water in good condition but its rather nice to be able to nip into the back garden for a soak at the end of the day :)

How much was the electric running costs when you had one? Just got myself a lay z spa and the electric costs had me a little worried!

How much was the electric running costs when you had one? Just got myself a lay z spa and the electric costs had me a little worried!

tbc on that one im afraid, I havent had it too long and im on a quarterly bill.

I think the ballpark is around £10-15/week depending on usage.

Apparently depends hugely on the quality of your tub, insulation type used, type of acrylic shell used etc, whether it has a seperate cleaning pump etc.

Average quotes on a standard 10ftx10ft type deal is about £10 -£15 per month but I've seen much higher numbers quoted on the Chinese imports of more like £25-£40 per month.

** corrected typo from week to month! thanks Pisto.

Last edited:
I have one (a very well known Canadian brand), had it for about 6 years now, 8 seats so fairly large and gets used on average 3 times a week, maybe a little more in the winter as honestly it is so much nicer using it on an ice cold evening. We waited a few years after thinking about getting one before we actually took the plunge (excuse the pun). Running costs are def higher than any hot tub salesman will admit to, we did some tests on ours and if you don't use it as much ie 1-2 time a week or less then £12-15 a week is about right, if you use it for a few hours a week then expect around £70-80 per month as an average (so £800-1000 per year) which is certainly not cheap and a few times I have seriously thought about draining it and leaving it empty!!

Oh and if you are on a water meter then allow an extra £100+ per year for the refills!

Chemicals etc don't really cost anything, just buy bulk and will last for years! Filters again run 3 in rotation and replace every 2-3 years again not expensive. The lifter/cover are probably going to need replacing soon as the insulation gets gradually more damp and less efficient so I probably have £4-500 to lay out this year or next.

Although that's all the bad stuff out the way, we love ours, kids use it occasionally but more for the wife and I, friends use it from time to time but I get p*****d off if the have fake tan, body lotions on as usually means an early water change.

Hope that helps?

They are great, my brother had one before he had kids, then moved and got a pool instead. They used it more in the winter for some reason. My brother had a chemical kit that told him when he needed to change the water etc, bit like the one's you get for the pools.

But clean it with the proper chemicals as someone I know didn't and when he refilled and got in he was not happy with the sting, mind you this is the guy that thought it would be a good idea to put it in his dining room. Funny as fudge it was, the good old days. :cool::laugh:

Just want to check my maths I've got a 192 gallon/800 liter tube and the initial treatment guidelines are.

Allow 50gms of chlorine granules to every 1000 gallons (4545 litres)

And if I use just under 10 grams of chlorine would that be the correct dose?

50 / 4545 = 0.0110011g/L

0.0110011 * 800 = 8.8g, so yeah just under 10g and your golden.

I would always advise on working with Liters rather than gallons, a liter is a liter where as a gallon can be US (3.78L) or UK (4.54L) and if you dont know which is which and dont spot the difference when converted to liters you can end up using far too much or far too little! :)

Thought I'd revive this thread a bit to see what anybody has got these days and to post pics.

We've got an inflatable one on hire for the wife's birthday which has inevitably lead to the discussions about getting a proper one. Got the perfect area for one but would need a little bit of preliminary work done to facilitate it.

Don't know what common opinion is but they seem to be more efficient to run these days than they ever used to be.

Thought I'd revive this thread a bit to see what anybody has got these days and to post pics.

We've got an inflatable one on hire for the wife's birthday which has inevitably lead to the discussions about getting a proper one. Got the perfect area for one but would need a little bit of preliminary work done to facilitate it.

Don't know what common opinion is but they seem to be more efficient to run these days than they ever used to be.
As I have said before we have rented log cabins for weekends with hot tubs and loved them, about 3 years ago we went to the lakes for 2 weeks and we got bored of it after a week. But that was a warm summer and I prefer hot tubs when it's cooler. Speaking to friends who have had them and they say for the cost of up keep and the constant checking of chlorine levels they have sold them on and just rent one for birthdays and holidays.

Must have stayed subscribed to this thread! We still have ours so around 8 years now, nothing much changed from what I wrote two years back but cost to run still higher than anyone will admit, I don't honestly see how they can be much more efficient to be honest, there is still a huge volume of water needing to be heated 'all' the time and with elec prices always going up this will always be the biggest cost.

We don't use ours as much nowadays, no reason just novelty value gradually reduced, the kids never use it now even though late teenage years which surprises me. We use it maybe once/twice a week sometimes it at all and last year was first time it was off from March to September and as quoted above I estimate £70-80 per month in running costs and that's with solar panels installed which, at least during the day would reduce the electric usage a little I guess. water costs have also gone up a lot and I think if refilled 4-5 times a year that's now £200+ so in reality all in costs annually probably £1200 ish

Friends of ours that also bought one rarely use it, I think we probably lasted longest in terms of regular use but seems 2-3 years is average before essentially getting mothballed :)

Bought one a couple of weeks ago, so clearly early days for us, but we love it.

Like others have said in this revived thread, we used one at holiday rentals so decided to get our own.

Went for an inflatable one so we could pack it away in the winter, though I do also prefer it on colder evenings, but these ones can't be used in less than 4 degree c.

Ours has a timer and thermostat so you can set the required temp and timer so it's ready for when you want to get in it and don't have to keep it up to temp all the time. We've got a Loop energy monitor, so I can confirm pretty accurately that it costs about £0.25 an hour when it's heating up and about £0.10 an hour when running the bubbles.

I've got ours set to maintain 34c, as it heats up about 2c an hours, so 2hrs to get to the desired 38c. In this weather it doesn't cost much to maintain temp, it takes a few nights being totally off to drop below 30c.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That will be much cheaper to run as much smaller/shallower than most 'full blown' hot tubs so not really a comparable cost/running example but in reality probably a better option for most folks that want a hot tub for occasional use and don't want to commit to a long term purchase

That will be much cheaper to run as much smaller/shallower than most 'full blown' hot tubs so not really a comparable cost/running example but in reality probably a better option for most folks that want a hot tub for occasional use and don't want to commit to a long term purchase

Exactly the reason we bought it. ;)

Bought one a couple of weeks ago, so clearly early days for us, but we love it.

Like others have said in this revived thread, we used one at holiday rentals so decided to get our own.

Went for an inflatable one so we could pack it away in the winter, though I do also prefer it on colder evenings, but these ones can't be used in less than 4 degree c.

Ours has a timer and thermostat so you can set the required temp and timer so it's ready for when you want to get in it and don't have to keep it up to temp all the time. We've got a Loop energy monitor, so I can confirm pretty accurately that it costs about £0.25 an hour when it's heating up and about £0.10 an hour when running the bubbles.

I've got ours set to maintain 34c, as it heats up about 2c an hours, so 2hrs to get to the desired 38c. In this weather it doesn't cost much to maintain temp, it takes a few nights being totally off to drop below 30c.

View attachment 751733

View attachment 751731

What is the outer material made from?

I've got the Vegas version and what you have said about the energy use is spot on.

2 Years on my cat punctured the inner inflatable liner which I repaired but changed this year due to it looking faded and worn, The lid has a slow puncture which I can't find and goes down after a day or so and the pump/heater unit occasionally plays up the unlock button is very unresponsive and the pump has cut out twice this year.

The wife never uses it anymore but me and the boy are in it every day he's only 2 so the temp is kept at a low 30 and it's basically used as a warm paddling pool.

I'd love to get one for the winter.
In my head I'd look really cool, but in reality :blush:
hqdefault.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom