Hot tub thread.

Thug

Reaction score
Did a quick search and couldn’t really find a thread dedicated to hot tubs.

We bought a lay-z-spa late last year and at the end of the season was not sure what to do with it so deflated it and put it in the garage.
Set it up again this week and noticed at least 4 puncture holes in it.
It did come with some patches but no glue, so bought some upvc glue which is not easy to use at all, but I think I have sorted it.

What do other people do with theirs? Do you leave them out all year round? Or put them away?

13C03055-7805-411C-9D15-547EDD14C40E.jpeg

I've rented one for the weekend - Foam Canadian one. Cost me £140 Thurs-Mon. Going to see how we get on with it and f we like it I think we might go with a similar set up to what you've got there. Looks great btw.

Suggesting respectfully, I'd get rid of the clock. If i'm having a good time, I'm not worrying about the time.

:)

Suggesting respectfully, I'd get rid of the clock. If i'm having a good time, I'm not worrying about the time.

:)
Usually i'm not, but I might use it before a nightshift and can t be late for that.

I had a colleague that was late for night shifts a couple of times, he'd over slept :eek:

Did it myself. Horrible feeling

Funnily enough, I was chatting to a mate yesterday about hot tubs. He has a massive garden, and his patio is bigger than my entire garden. I jokingly asked 'where you putting the hot tub?' and we both agreed that whilst good for the odd dip here and there, a hot tub isn't something that would be used enough by us and those we know to justify it's outlay + maintenance cost and time. I can clearly see by @Thug's layout that he would be in disagreement with me (nice gazebo btw mate :thumbsup:), but it does seem a lot of expense/ effort for something that gets put away, or is not used for extended periods of time.

So...does anyone use theirs all the time? I just think that if I ever ended up buying one (inflatable), it'd end up in the shed after a couple of months too - does the novelty wear off of these things as fast as I think it would?

Watching with interest, got all the wiring in place when we built the house,just haven’t taken the,, plunge yet

Funnily enough, I was chatting to a mate yesterday about hot tubs. He has a massive garden, and his patio is bigger than my entire garden. I jokingly asked 'where you putting the hot tub?' and we both agreed that whilst good for the odd dip here and there, a hot tub isn't something that would be used enough by us and those we know to justify it's outlay + maintenance cost and time. I can clearly see by @Thug's layout that he would be in disagreement with me (nice gazebo btw mate :thumbsup:), but it does seem a lot of expense/ effort for something that gets put away, or is not used for extended periods of time.

So...does anyone use theirs all the time? I just think that if I ever ended up buying one (inflatable), it'd end up in the shed after a couple of months too - does the novelty wear off of these things as fast as I think it would?
Its a funny one and I can see where you are coming from.
And actually you are incorrect (I don't disagree with you).
I have only took mine out last week, and have still yet to fill it with water, so we are certainly not avid users.
Putting it into perspective, our table and chairs cost £500 and we have used that about twice this year so far. Our pizza oven cost around £450 and we have only used that 3 times this year. So its probably no more a waste of money than those 2 were.
I owned a Rolex watch that cost around £3,500 that I wore a handful of times in the 6 years I had it.
I think we all have something that we have bought (at a decent expense too) that we don't use, but sometimes 'its just nice to have it'.

Thanks, the gazebo was built by me for the hot tub, but can quite easily be used with the table and chairs too and the roof covering just unhooks.
A2BF37E3-A85C-4876-9720-A1A17DEACC9B.jpeg
EC7F09D5-E12F-49E3-AEA5-54D93367DBAF.jpeg

Last edited:
15274242395773335970611670981394.jpg

Use ours roughly 3 times a week. It was costing about £60 a month in electric over the winter but since we have had decent weather that's down to about £15.

We had one, same brand as Thug, and while it was great for a while, you need to be absolutely scrupulous about cleaning the filter or it starts to chug. Additionally the build quality is not great, over the course of a summer it leaked in several places, some of which were behind inaccessible seams which could not be accessed to repair them.

On top of that, despite being built from fairly standard components, absolutely nothing inside it is user serviceable. What ultimately did ours in was the little plastic encased magnet that spins inside the filter developed a crack, which in turn caused the iron magnet to rust, swell, and eventually stop spinning. (I discovered this after taking it apart.) It could have been fixed for the cost of replacing that piece, maybe £3. However the manufacturer and apparently the entire internet do not supply spares for inside it, so you have no choice but to replace the entire unit for about £300. That really annoyed me so I never bothered replacing it.

Also, it added £50 a month to our electricity bill...I don't miss that.

Just this week set up a LayzSpa Havana and trying to do all the 'right things' and dont know if I'm just making things worse. I'll try to bullet point everything;

1) Monday - filled tub, turned it on to heat it (note no chemicals at all yet).

2) Chlorine tablets arrived - checked the box and it said not to put them in until the PH level was right, PH testing and chemicals were due following day.

3) Wednesday, Spa still on (and now at 35 degrees) and (digital) PH tester arrived along with PH Up/Down chemicals. Now realised PH tester needs distilled water, back to Amazon to order.

4) Today, have managed to test the water. PH level is just a smidge over 7.0, so needs some PH up. Couldnt understand how to dilute it, but put 7g of "Up" in a beaker of warm water.

5) Went out to Spa and ran the jets - quite a lot of foam built up whilst jets were running* - poured in the PH Up solution, will check tonight to see if level has gone up to right amount.

So... my questions are:

1) Is it right the spa has been running with no chlorine in it for 4 days - obviously we have NOT been in it.

2) Due to us not being in it and no chemicals being in it - I havent changed the filter at all yet, is this ok?

3) What does the foam indicate? I've read it can happen when PH is low (which it is), so is it ok? (I've got some anti-foam arriving today)

4) Just generally, am I doing the right thing, trying to sort the PH before adding chlorine?

5) When I DO add the first chlorine, I'm gonna do a shock. Is that 3 tablets (small ones in floater) and to open up the release valve on the floater all the way?

So confused! Please help!

I use my lazy spa just about everyday although I’ve only owned it for about a month. It’s lovely getting in it after going to the gym.
I keep the heater on all the time so will be looking at my energy bills every month now to see exactly what it’s costing me.

Just this week set up a LayzSpa Havana and trying to do all the 'right things' and dont know if I'm just making things worse. I'll try to bullet point everything;

1) Monday - filled tub, turned it on to heat it (note no chemicals at all yet).

2) Chlorine tablets arrived - checked the box and it said not to put them in until the PH level was right, PH testing and chemicals were due following day.

3) Wednesday, Spa still on (and now at 35 degrees) and (digital) PH tester arrived along with PH Up/Down chemicals. Now realised PH tester needs distilled water, back to Amazon to order.

4) Today, have managed to test the water. PH level is just a smidge over 7.0, so needs some PH up. Couldnt understand how to dilute it, but put 7g of "Up" in a beaker of warm water.

5) Went out to Spa and ran the jets - quite a lot of foam built up whilst jets were running* - poured in the PH Up solution, will check tonight to see if level has gone up to right amount.

So... my questions are:

1) Is it right the spa has been running with no chlorine in it for 4 days - obviously we have NOT been in it.

2) Due to us not being in it and no chemicals being in it - I havent changed the filter at all yet, is this ok?

3) What does the foam indicate? I've read it can happen when PH is low (which it is), so is it ok? (I've got some anti-foam arriving today)

4) Just generally, am I doing the right thing, trying to sort the PH before adding chlorine?

5) When I DO add the first chlorine, I'm gonna do a shock. Is that 3 tablets (small ones in floater) and to open up the release valve on the floater all the way?

So confused! Please help!

Get the chlorine in straight away. You want to shock dose it, yours needs 13g of chlorine. If you’ve bought the 20g tablets crush one up and throw most of it straight into spa then check following day.

I used to check mine for ph levels almost daily.
Now i just throw in 2tsp chlorine powder every other day and change the water every 2 weeks.
When I do check it it’s almost spot on.
Too be honest I’m not sure how important ph levels are.
In fact I can bet no one here has ever checked the ph level in their bath before having a soak (or the sea, or a swimming pool on holiday, or a river, etc).
Yet the companies that sell these chemicals would make you think you were going to catch legionnaires disease if the ph wasn’t spot on.

Last edited:
With having two small kids and not really a lot of options for baby sitting I am really thinking about buying a proper hot tub for the garden to go out in and destress. Both my wife and I think we would like it and tbh life is to short. Can anyone tell me this is a bad idea. I really wanted to hire a proper one (they did this a couple of years ago) but now everyone is renting the inflatable ones and I don't think this will give me the effect of a proper hot tub

With having two small kids and not really a lot of options for baby sitting I am really thinking about buying a proper hot tub for the garden to go out in and destress. Both my wife and I think we would like it and tbh life is to short. Can anyone tell me this is a bad idea. I really wanted to hire a proper one (they did this a couple of years ago) but now everyone is renting the inflatable ones and I don't think this will give me the effect of a proper hot tub
Whats the difference between the inflatable ones and the proper ones?
other than what there made of of course

Get the chlorine in straight away. You want to shock dose it, yours needs 13g of chlorine. If you’ve bought the 20g tablets crush one up and throw most of it straight into spa then check following day.

Thanks! In the end, I emptied the water out last night as just couldn’t get it right. Then tested the water out of my tap and the ph is absolutely sky high to begin with, so it’s no wonder it was so tough.

Refilling now, gonna put a 20g chlorine tablet in the floater, some ph minus and test it tonight.

Whats the difference between the inflatable ones and the proper ones?
other than what there made of of course
I guess I like the idea of the jets on the seated area and with the blow up ones they can’t do that?

13g doesn’t sound a lot to shock? Sure I read “put 2-3 tablets in”. Other people are putting in 1 20g tablet a week, so yea 13g doesn’t seem right?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom