Hot tub thread.

I had a like to one of my posts, unusual I know, but it prompted me to read the thread again. I would of loved a jacuzzi (even though I have no Pampas grass), but haven't the space nor really want to pay the leccy bills.

I've just had to do a swimming pool management course, don't you know. I probably forgotten most of what I was taught, but I do recall PH is important, not because it can hurt your eyes, but it also keeps the chlorine efficient. Think the ideal level was around 7.6, same as tears.

It was quite frightening all the bugs, diseases and chemical issues you can have with a spa. Mainly because of such a low water content, and the amount of bathers. Piece of American research revealed most bathers had 0.6mg of faecal matter on their behinds, before entering the spa. Yuk.

Anyway, I'm not jealous anymore. Anyone what advice on spa management, give me a shout, and I'll look it up in my course book. Remember, the solution to pollution, is dilution, i.e. chuck out your dirty water.

This is me (on the left) enjoying time with my best mate and Godson in his tub. It cost him around £8k and came from Canada I believe

Thing to be careful of, we found, is drinking while in them, as we have often dozed off in it. This is unsually in the early ours of the moring after a skin full, but still very easy to do! So, please do be careful folks!

IMG_6152 (1) by Monty Wainright, on Flickr

Given what's going on I thought it prudent to get the tub out early. My boys (1,4,5) are obviously a year older this year so I installed a Ring camera with all the motion activation / alarm etc so I can keep a very close eye.

I'm drinking beer in the conservatory. Looking forward to getting in tonight.

Screenshot_20200411_164135_com.ringapp.jpg

Forgot all about this thread.

I‘m going over to the dark side, and thinking of getting an inflatable one. Probably Lazy Spa, like the Barbados one.

Some questions for you current owners. How much noise do these things make, the Lazy Spa web site suggests 70db at full pelt?

Bit concerned about these welds giving way. Mine would be located in full sun. Although I suppose I could get a cover. Doubt if I’ll be able to get one this year, web site has been sold out over the last few days.

Forgot all about this thread.

I‘m going over to the dark side, and thinking of getting an inflatable one. Probably Lazy Spa, like the Barbados one.

Some questions for you current owners. How much noise do these things make, the Lazy Spa web site suggests 70db at full pelt?

Bit concerned about these welds giving way. Mine would be located in full sun. Although I suppose I could get a cover. Doubt if I’ll be able to get one this year, web site has been sold out over the last few days.
Noise when? Just generally or with bubbles on?

We usually watch a movie in the tub and the background noise of the pump is absolutely fine, although if it's really hot we do turn it off for a while when watching TV.

The bubbles can be quite noisy, but for as often as we would actually have them on it isn't really an issue...it's quite a soothing noise anyway.

Like rustybin said it’s absolutely fine.
id suggest you get a gazebo or similar just in case you need to claim on the warranty.
A friend of mine tried to claim and got it refused based on that. They do ask for photos on a claim.

Yep I was thinking more about the noise from the pump, I understand the air & bubbles would generate necessary sound. Don't wanna p off the neighbours.

Re the uv damage, I guess its being left out in the sun 24/7 is the issue. I was thinking of getting a cover like a outdoor table cover, just to protect it when not being used.

Does anyone have an inflatable tub and is able to advise on rough running costs as I've seen all sorts of varying prices from £15 a week to £30 a week.

That's without filters, chemicals etc.

We was looking at a small one just to see how we got on and if we actually used it like we thought or if it was a novelty thing. So something like a lazy spa bali would be sufficent for the 2 of us.

It holds 650-700L of water it says it has a 2KW Heater.

Some people advise leaving them on all the time whilst some people turn them on 2/3 days prior to usage.

So I'm looking for real life genuine opinions and facts if anyone can share it with me.

Costs, routines, best way etc.

Thanks

I had a lazy spa vegas for 3 years. Running costs for 2kw heater was 23p a hour to run, it took 18-24 to heat up to 40c when freashly filled.
I did notice the electric usage go up roughly £40 a month if i kept the heater running.

I did go through the filters quickly and they were not cheap at the time also the chemicals were a pain to get right at first but i soon worked out a rountine.

First year when the hot tube was all new was fantastic.
After that the nolvety wore but the kids loved it.

We had a lay Z spa Miami and it cost about £50 a month in electricity to run (in Scotland). The heater stopped working on ours and I was glad to have an excuse to get rid of it in the end. Constantly cleaning/changing filters, adding chemicals and emptying and refilling the thing every month was a bit of a pain.

There is a full thread on hot tubs.
Try searching for it and you will get some good info.

EDIT
I have found it for you Hot tub thread.

Didn’t get one in the end, primarily ‘cos they were all out of stock, supplies coming back in October/November. Not the right time of year for me personally, so will wait for the new year.

@J3OEF has a question, that @Thug directed him here. Interested in the answers.

If your wanting to use long term I'd buy one without an electric heater and buy an air source heat pump instead. Probably get one for £600 but it'll pay for itself after a couple of years.

Very cheap to run and will heat the Spa up alot quicker than an element heater.

Thanks for the comments guys. It would seem it can be expensive then to run one then. I suppose it also depends how much we use it. I'll still do some more digging and see what I can find. I did some calculations based on kW and price per kW and I'm sure it was around 6 quid a day which seems quite high. Maybe I did it wrong.

I'll check out the hottub thread and also an air source pump.

Thanks for the comments guys. It would seem it can be expensive then to run one then. I suppose it also depends how much we use it. I'll still do some more digging and see what I can find. I did some calculations based on kW and price per kW and I'm sure it was around 6 quid a day which seems quite high. Maybe I did it wrong.

I'll check out the hottub thread and also an air source pump.
Costs me around a fiver a week in warmer months and probably double or a bit more in colder months. When I first got mine I ran it 24/7 for 18 months.
with the filters get the sponge ones off eBay, they last miles longer. If you look after the water you only need to change the filter once every 10 to 12 weeks.

Costs me around a fiver a week in warmer months and probably double or a bit more in colder months. When I first got mine I ran it 24/7 for 18 months.
with the filters get the sponge ones off eBay, they last miles longer. If you look after the water you only need to change the filter once every 10 to 12 weeks.

What one do you have? Do you leave the heater running all the time or turn it on as and when required?

What one do you have? Do you leave the heater running all the time or turn it on as and when required?
Got the Hawaii. For first 18 months I just let the heater pump run. This year I tried it with just running the filter then turning heater on when I wanted to use it. Saved a bit of electric but not a lot.

Got the Hawaii. For first 18 months I just let the heater pump run. This year I tried it with just running the filter then turning heater on when I wanted to use it. Saved a bit of electric but not a lot.

Intetesting. So nothing like 80-100 that I've seen quoted. Especially if I'm on the lowest electricity tariff I can get after just switching?

See image of my electric/gas. I turned my tub on for 1st time at Easter and let it run 24/7 till August when I started just with the filter running. Hence a slight drop there like I said.
only gas appliances we have is combi boiler for hot water/showers and central heating. Everything else including cooker is electric.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 9A9F6E4B-A4A2-4EE2-B7D7-65FD8B32A1DA.png
    9A9F6E4B-A4A2-4EE2-B7D7-65FD8B32A1DA.png
    236.2 KB · Views: 100
Hmmm that's an insight. Do you know how much your usage kwh was on gas and elec over a 12 month period with hot tub included? What do you pay per kW for electricity with bulb?

Similar to mine then. It's 14.77p per hour. Are there any calculations I can do to work out what it may cost? For example if it uses 2kw per hour to heat? How often will that Heater be used as 14.77p per her per kW is expensive

Not sure as it cuts off when it’s reached temperature. Then cuts back in when it drops.

We had to leave our hot tub in UK...had it for around 5 years and cost us about 5 and half thousand pounds at a local garden centre in Hastings, had to arrive over farm field next to property...no other way in and then we built a wooden gazebo around it..trapped forever now....double glazed windows and a proper door with air vents in the roof...was a real pleasure to use. Cannot remember the make and model but with the gazebo in place used it 24/7...expensive but was worth it.
Where we are now with the increased heat(we have a dip pool but has a huge tear in it that has always been there but needs a patch replacing) last year we like husband... could do with a cold hot tub so Husband decided against my thoughts that on a day when it was 40 degrees to travel to Angeloume nearly an hour away having seen a' blow up type'(shock and horror) on their website,but arrived and found that it was actually out of stock....No problem off to Niort the next day and purchase this... which is ok but nothing like the REAL thing....400 Euros so understandable..Male species way of thinking I guess.haha

Attachments

• hot tub.JPG
    hot tub.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 91

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom