Hot Tubs.

jonna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone own one, if so, a simple question, are they worth it or a waste of money?.

My folks have had one for about ten years. They use it fairly frequently and my 3 year old daughter loves it! It's great for relieving aches and pains too

Got a inflatable lay z spa not quite the real thing. But
Was good fun to begin with, good for having friends over and getting drunk in, The boy loves going in it.

Bad points are it's a 2kw heater which costs me about 22p a hour to heat up which can take 14 hours from scratch.
Requires a fair bit of maintenance with chemicals and a thorougher clean out after each empty/refill cycle.

Got a inflatable lay z spa not quite the real thing. But
Was good fun to begin with, good for having friends over and getting drunk in, The boy loves going in it.

Bad points are it's a 2kw heater which costs me about 22p a hour to heat up which can take 14 hours from scratch.
Requires a fair bit of maintenance with chemicals and a thorougher clean out after each empty/refill cycle.

Agree, our LayZspa was great fun and it lasted 3 years which I was happy with. Would I buy another? probably not but if we lived abroad/in better climate I would have a 'proper' one installed without hesitation.

Just my personal opinion but unless they're designed to be integrated (and presumably cost a small fortune) they look awful. While they're great fun and relaxing I suspect quite often at first but increasingly less so and not worth the eye soar. Of course others may not mind the look and get good use from them, in which case go for it!

I like the novelty of using them on holiday or where does have them. I think a lot depends on where they go, I'd rather have a stunning garden than a hot tub but if I happened to be fortunate enough to have a large enough terrace of my master bed room then I'd love one, great under the stars.

Agree, our LayZspa was great fun and it lasted 3 years which I was happy with. Would I buy another? probably not but if we lived abroad/in better climate I would have a 'proper' one installed without hesitation.

What gave up on it in the end?

We have one, got it last summer.
Its hard to say if its worth it. But we do enjoy using it and try to go out 2-3 times a week.
It is good with friends. Great in the cold & snow. not to great in a heat wave.

We didnt spend as much as they can cost, but it still cost a lot. we got it from: H2O Hot tubs | H2O Spa Hot Tubs they import from China, and rebrand as there own. Paul is a good guy and very helpful. Worth looking into there tubs, if you fancy it.

Elec costs have gone up a lot. Probs £1.20/day?? but to be fair it is well insulated. 37deg water inside and you get a frost and snow on the lid.

If you have any direct questions, please ask!

My manager has one and between him, his wife and kids plus the kids friends it is apparently used most days of the week.

Seems if you go all in the expense is worth it but not if you would only be an occasional user.

I hate them with a passion...

The reason is we had the ordeal of a neighbour behind us who had one and had wild parties in it most weekends. This just happened to coincide with us being new parents, living in a small two bed terrace & at the height of the recession meaning we couldn't sell to move. It was an awful three years :(

If the area had larger gardens then it might not have been too bad, however it really felt like they were directly under our bedroom window.

To the OP if you get one, please consider others who may not appreciate the sound of the thing, let alone the wild shreaking that happens at any parties you may have.

Of course if you have the space, and will not bother others then go right ahead :)

My brother had one, then got rid when he put the pool in. They are great, but can be a fad, depends if you like that sort of thing. They are best in the winter, nothing better than watching it snow all around when you're sipping a cocktail and watching girls in bikini's.

Had one at our lodge on holiday 2 weeks ago. Was pretty good actually and used it every night but could only spend about 15 minutes in it before it was too much. Like having a very hot bath, you just end up overheating.

Nice idea but to only be able to use it for 15 minutes at a time seems a bit pointless.

My brother had one, then got rid when he put the pool in. They are great, but can be a fad, depends if you like that sort of thing. They are best in the winter, nothing better than watching it snow all around when you're sipping a cocktail and watching girls in bikini's.

I got sunburn in a hottub. In England, in December, when it was snowing. Spent 10 hours in one all day with drinks. Nobody would believe me when I said I hadn't been abroad for Xmas.

Had one at our lodge on holiday 2 weeks ago. Was pretty good actually and used it every night but could only spend about 15 minutes in it before it was too much. Like having a very hot bath, you just end up overheating.

Nice idea but to only be able to use it for 15 minutes at a time seems a bit pointless.

They work on a thermostat 40 degrees is the maximum which can be to much if you set the temp to say 35 ish the experience is much more pleasant.

They work on a thermostat 40 degrees is the maximum which can be to much if you set the temp to say 35 ish the experience is much more pleasant.

Yeh it has to be around body temperature according to the manual lol! Ours was on 40 originally but put it down to 37. Was ok but then neither the missus or I are fans of baths anyway. Was a nice novelty with a bottle of wine :)

...got to say I'm going nowhere near hot-tubs anymore. My brother has a hot hub in his garden. His wife is very careful about cleaning the filters. She contracted a skin problem that (the probability) points to the hot tub. Mrs C's brother suffered from something very similar after a holiday with a hot tub.

If i'm going to immerse myself in someone else's body effluent, I think I'd like it a tad more diluted than wallowing in a small trough of shared warm water.

:thumbsdow

Approximately 30% of metabolic waste is excreted through the skin (the largest organ).

Last edited:
+1 no to public hot tubs!

While back whilst I was dating a woman both of us contracted some disease from having some naughty time in a hot tub.

Mmmm, I don't think I'll bother :-
On top of pathogens that can naturally be found in water, humans also introduce their own share of germs when they slip into a hot tub. "The average bather has about a tenth of a gram of feces in his gluteal fold, which is a nice way of saying butt crack," Gerba says. That means with five people, "you have a tablespoon of poop in the hot tub." And beyond the gross-out factor, without safe levels of disinfectant, you can run the risk of transmitting diseases.

Mmmm, I don't think I'll bother :-
On top of pathogens that can naturally be found in water, humans also introduce their own share of germs when they slip into a hot tub. "The average bather has about a tenth of a gram of feces in his gluteal fold, which is a nice way of saying butt crack," Gerba says. That means with five people, "you have a tablespoon of poop in the hot tub." And beyond the gross-out factor, without safe levels of disinfectant, you can run the risk of transmitting diseases.
Aye! Fancy getting in the tub with this babe?...

9bkf7t.jpg

:D

We had one put in a few months back, I wasnt really up for it as I expected it to be a novelty fad, but my wife was keen and with my back problems it seemed worth ago.

We probably use it 3 times a week, the kids have had friends over for big birthday parties. It requires a fair bit of maintenance to keep the water levels accurate and hygienic but we soon got the hang of it. I do find myself feeling obligated to use it due to the amount we paid, but it came with a hefty warranty and my back always feels great afterwards. We live on an old farm so have a bit of room out the back, we had a cabin built around it. Its cold enough getting out and into the cabin, I imagine it would be a nightmare trying to get back to the warm house.

Im still not sure if its worth it but we have enjoyed it so far, several very nice nights out under the stars, drinking cheap bubbly when we have got rid of the kids for the night :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom