Hotbird LNB Skew Zone 1 East Anglia

freesatuser80

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have two zone 1 minidishes connected using 2 2x1 Diseqc switches into a twin tuner receiver so that each tuner can receive either Hotbird or Astra 28.2. My wife watches Polish TV through a Cyfra+ subscription. All the channels we watch are received very well on both satellites with little or no break up with the exception of the Hotbird TVN channels which break up in moderate rain. These channels are reported as having a signal of around 9db in good weather compared to the other Hotbird channels at about 11db. I spent some time on Saturday trying to fine tune the dish to improve the signal. All I really managed to do was break the LNB arm.

The dish, cable and LNB are all about 10 years old and the cable is old aluminium screened WF65 twin. I have ordered a new LNB and have decided to upgrade the cable to WF100 twin (about 13m run). I am hoping to fit these next weekend whilst I have a ladder.

What should the correct LNB skew be for Hotbird in east Anglia on a minidish zone 1? Or would it be better to skew the dish slightly. If so, what would be the correct way to do this? Many thanks for any help.

Better skew the dish & this might take it over that breakup threshold you have in rain.

Another trick is to file the lnb skew settings & lug/s on the lnb & holder/clamp allowing for a % more adjustment once you have skewed the dish (at middle setting btw)

Thanks for your help Pedro.

I have looked at dishpointer and it says in my location the skew for 28.2 is -12.5 and the skew for hotbird is -9.8. I am in position 3 for 28.2 according to the map. I'm having a bit of trouble working out exactly how to rotate the dish. Have I understood correctly that I leave the LNB at setting 3 initially, then rotate the entire dish I think 2.7 degrees anticlockwise from the front. Then file off the lugs on the holder to give me an extra level of fine tuning?

Yes

Went up to fit the new lnb and fine tune the dish yesterday. Managed to get the signal up to about 11.5db on the problem channels using the dish skew advice from pedro. Decided to upgrade the cable also which made no difference at all although by the time I'd finished the weather had changed so it's possible that had an affect.

For some reason my tuner b receives a lower signal on a few of the hotbird channels. When I came downstairs this morning my wife was watching tvn and I haven't noticed any break up even though it's raining. Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom