'Secondhand Cinema' - House Extension with a Dedicated MK Home Cinema Room

For anyone reading this back in the future, Gecko Cinema and Habitech both said they would fit with the tweeters nearest each other, as per my picture. Secretly glad, as didn’t want to have to fetch them back out.

I built two acoustic panels for the rear wall. 600mmx600mmx120mm but stalled on getting the images for them. The website that many used on here to find textless movie posters has been taken down. After lots of trawling I've picked out a few that I think will work. I've ordered the first image, printed on speaker cloth (900mmx900mm) , to go on a panel that will sit between the two rear speakers. If I'm happy with the quality, I'll order the rest of them.

I've used this image and my brother has added a matching border so the Deathstar mk2 will fill the 600x600 panel with for the sides.

Capture.PNG

Going to look great that mate

Removed the scatter plates from the large panels I bought and ‘re homed’ them on the two DIY 600x600 bass traps I’ve made. These are 120mm deep and will be wrapped in movie art, if the Death Star one comes out ok. Aim is to remove first reflections from the back wall directly behind the seating position. I’ve made French cleats fitted to the rear of the panels to wall mount them.

IMG_4841.jpeg

I’ve then wrapped the first of the those two larger panels in MVEL. Not done this before. A faffy job but turned out ok. I plan to try and mount two of these on the ceiling.

IMG_4842.jpeg

Wrapped my DIY panel with scatter plate. Pleased with the result so will order some more to rewrap the other panels.

IMG_4856.jpeg

Glad some people on here appreciate it.

My daughter (7) asked if it was the moon. I obviously responded with, “That’s no moon…”

My mate has just been over. He asked if it was something from Starwars. 😳

You forget sometimes what a niche world we operate in.

@mb3195 Imitation is meant to be the sincerest form of flattery isn’t it?

Second panel wrapped.
600x600x120mm plus scatter plate

IMG_4963.jpeg
IMG_4964.jpeg

Really pleased with how they’ve come out. The prints all arrived on Friday from Fabric Printing UK. Design Your Own Custom Printed Fabric

I needed to iron them to remove fold lines and I’ve not had chance to fit the others. The fabric is really thin, so you probably should paint the frame black, or wrap them with something like weed membrane first. Five more to fit when I get time.

Another two done. Rear LED strips still need refitting and connecting back up.

IMG_4972.jpeg

Look absolutely awesome mate, although not black enough for me 😂😂

Look absolutely awesome mate, although not black enough for me 😂😂

Can't see any of them with the MVel curtain closed. Only reason that I've not done it.

Last edited:
They look awesome mate. Always wanted to try these but worried I would be distracted admiring them during movie watching.

For anyone reading this back in the future, Gecko Cinema and Habitech both said they would fit with the tweeters nearest each other, as per my picture. Secretly glad, as didn’t want to have to fetch them back out.
I’ve installed mine the other way around as they are marked up as left and right, I don’t think it makes much difference though and equally i don’t have anything near them like you. I do have question though, what have you done with the grilles? I spray painted mine black today and have put the white cloth back on but it is extremely obvious with the lights on at least and the other one I’ve left it off but then you can see through to the speaker which have shiny cones!

Wondering if that backing is only if you keep the grilles white so that you can see the black speakers.

Yes, as you say the white fabric is only to stop the black speaker showing up behind the white grill. If you’ve sprayed them black then you’re meant to remove it. 👍

Yes, as you say the white fabric is only to stop the black speaker showing up behind the white grill. If you’ve sprayed them black then you’re meant to remove it. 👍
Kind of want to find the same thing in a black fabric now to fully hide the speakers 😂. I’ve put the fabric back on just so I have somewhere to put them for now.

Very cool panels. I have 2 small 50 or 60cm square gik panels in white not being used, might try the printed image idea. Which firm did you use for the printing?

Can you see them when a film is on?? Hard to judge. Mine are behind me, on ceiling or behind panels.

Reminds me that I need to rerun my EQ since adding the curtains. My surrounds have the grills on, then acoustic transparent panel in front and then curtains. Which I know isn’t ideal but haven’t really noticed any difference tbh even without rerunning EQ.

@stevos Link just above mate. Post 760. Still haven’t got around to finishing the last two but will get them done over Easter and then reconnect all the LEDs.

@stevos Link just above mate. Post 760. Still haven’t got around to finishing the last two but will get them done over Easter and then reconnect all the LEDs.

Thanks, I'm clearly blind, I looked back a few pages and clearly missed it.

Which fabric did you go for?

Speaker Fabric

IMG_5053.jpeg
IMG_5054.jpeg
IMG_5052.jpeg
Next two done. Still haven’t refitted the LED strips that sit behind them, been a busy couple of weeks.

One more to do, but that’s is an empty panel that sits in front of the left surround, so I need to fill the gaps with insulation and fit material to the back first.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom