Question How can I adjust the LFE volume / subwoofer channel of my Denom AVR-1910?

Whoozzem

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I now have my passive subwoofer powered by a Sony STR-DE475 with audio input from the LFE of a Denom AVR-1910.

The Denom AVR-1910 is setup as:
All speakers set to Small.
All bass out of LFE.

The sony is setup so that only the Front L/R and Center outputs are in use (all other outputs disabled) with the subwoofers' three coils connected to each.
The speakers are also set to Large.
LFE is disabled on the Sony to force the bass out through the output connections.

I originally hoped the connections would run:

Denom LFE >> Sony Multichannel IN Subwoofer >> Front L/R & Center Outputs to Subwoofer.

However this never produced any audio (no idea why, the manual for the Sony says its for putting through an already decoded signal which of course the Denom should be, and amplifing it through the outputs which sounded ideal). Because of the lack of sound I found the below works:

Denom LFE > Y-Splitter > Sony CD In >> Front L/R & Center Outputs to Subwoofer.

The reason for the Y-Splitter is that without a R channel input both the center and (naturally) right didn't appear to output sound.

So, this all works - but there's a few odd things happening I'd like to try and sort out but I have no idea where to begin:

1) If I plug a phone into the Sony's CD In, and play a subwoofer frequency test file, it is loud enough to make the furniture shake (literally!) at a volume of 20 (max is 31).

2) If I use the same phone and test file from the Denoms' CD In, and have it pass the bass over the LFE then it's so quiet that I have to have the Sony at 28-31 to hear the lowest frequencies (things are better at a higher range but still not as good as directly plugging into the Sony) and it doesn't shake the furniture as it's alot quieter.

I just wondered if there was any way to get the Sony playing and loudly from the Denoms' LFE as it does when directly connecting?

I did notice that when using the test mode on the Denom (which by default plays the subwoofer at 15db more than I have the master volume set to) then it's a big deep sound, but I haven't seen anything on the Denom to let me adjust just the subwoofer channel. The manual does say you can do it by using the remote control, which of course I don't have - the only channel levels I did find where in the test section, and appear to only affect the test sound - at any rate adjusting the levels to be higher and then trying through the phone resulted in the same lack of bass.

I have yet to try setting the volume to 0db and then adjusting the input source to the Denom, but I still don't understand why it's so much quieter than directly the phone connecting to the Sony.

Thanks.

You need the Denon's remote in order to access the onscreen menus and calibrate it. You'd also need the remote to be able t access the speaker configurations and make adjustments.

Why are you using the front left/right and centre speaker outputs on the Sony receiver to power the sub with? The centre speaker connection is surplus to requirements.

The Denn's subwoofer pre out is mono. Connect this to the Sony receiver's MULTI CH IN SUBWOOFER input.

Set both the left and right speakers as being LARGE onboard the Sony receiver and set the subwoofer setting to NO. This will force the receiver to direct audio being received via the multichannel in subwoofer input to the left and right speaker terminals.

Connect the Sony receiver's left and right speaker outputs to the passive sub's associated inputs.

Set the Sony's master volume to about 60 and select the MULTICHANNEL IN as the source. Note that when MULTI CH IN is selected as a source, soundfield modes and additional additional parameters such as TONE adjustments are unaccessible and bypassed.

Run the auto calibration on the Denon receiver and DO NOT ADJUST OR TOUCH THE VOLUME ONBOARD THE SONY RECEIVER AFTER DOING SO!!!! Remember to leave the Sony as always being set to its MUltichannel In source.

Onboard the Denon receiver, set the subwoofer setting to YES and the speaker sizes to SMALL. Set the associated crossovers accordingly.

The calibration will have adjusted the level associated with the subwoofer pre out in order to attain reference relative to what it detected during the calibration process. THis balances the sub's output to match it to that of the other speakers in relation to reference. Reference is 0db aster Volume post calibration. The sub should be correctly balanced as long as you do not alter the Sony AV receiver's master volume after running the calibration.

All in all, I'd seriously suggest you buy an active sub, maybe even a new AV receiver who's configurations you can access.

Last edited:
You need the Denon's remote in order to access the onscreen menus and calibrate it. You'd also need the remote to be able t access the speaker configurations and make adjustments.
That's what I was afraid of, a fair whack of settings are available through the machine itself by a long trawl through its' menu so I was hoping I'd missed something.

I'll have to keep an eye out for one, I did try Denon's spare parts site, but they no longer stock the remote control.

I know there's some callibration system accessible from the menus called audessey (I think it was) but I gather it needs a microphone plugged in.

Why are you using the front left/right and centre speaker outputs on the Sony receiver to power the sub with? The centre speaker connection is surplus to requirements.
This subwoofer is somewhat unique in that it requires three inputs of 70WRMS @8ohm (three coils) to allow it to run at its' maximum 210W.

The Denn's subwoofer pre out is mono. Connect this to the Sony receiver's MULTI CH IN SUBWOOFER input.
Onboard the Denon receiver, set the subwoofer setting to YES and the speaker sizes to SMALL. Set the associated crossovers accordingly.

That is more or less how I had it initially. The trouble was multi-in didn't appear to work (no sound), and I don't know (second hand receiver) if it works at all but CD in worked but perhaps that's lack of callibration from the Denons' end?

As to the volume of 60, I take it that's a percentage so I take it since the Sonys volume maxes out at 31, that would be 19/20 so around the volume that worked well when the phone was diectly plugged into the Sony?

Set both the left and right speakers as being LARGE onboard the Sony receiver and set the subwoofer setting to NO. This will force the receiver to direct audio being received via the multichannel in subwoofer input to the left and right speaker terminals.

This would/should work and is pretty much the same as what you said you tried first Whoozzem? No idea why it didn't work, that is rather confusing. Either way your y-splitter to CD-input solution is a perfectly good workaround since the lfe output from the denon is already low-passed. Keep using that if it works.

I did notice that when using the test mode on the Denom (which by default plays the subwoofer at 15db more than I have the master volume set to) then it's a big deep sound, but I haven't seen anything on the Denom to let me adjust just the subwoofer channel. The manual does say you can do it by using the remote control, which of course I don't have...

I have no idea if you can access the correct menu without the remote but (from memory, will check on my 1910 when I get home and edit this post) I think you go: Menu -> 4. Manual Setup -> 5. Channel Level, then go down to 'subwoofer' and adjust the level. Test tones (pink noise) should be playing whilst in the 'Channel Level' menu.

If you live in hertfordshire or North London I'd be happy to pop over with my remote and adjust it for you haha.

Alternatively find a remote on ebay. Use google to see what it looks like, any denon remote with the identical button layout should work.

Thanks for the reply.

I had already found channel levels under the Test tones - however adjusting it only appeared to affect the test tone itself, when setting it high and then coming out of the menus and trying the phone again, it was just as quiet as before.

Sadly no remotes currently on eBay for the 1910 even by searching for the RF number itself. There was one Denom remote but I'd be loathe to spend out any more money on a gamble.

I had already found channel levels under the Test tones - however adjusting it only appeared to affect the test tone itself, when setting it high and then coming out of the menus and trying the phone again, it was just as quiet as before.

That's really odd, if it affects the test tone it should affect everything, that's what the test tones are for.

I gave it another go, and the channel levels did change this time so not sure what happened last time.

I've noticed that it appears to depend on the frequency of the test file playing, e.g. if I get 80hz working well, 20hz then suffered.

In the end I set up another audio lead to the Sony's DVD input and kept switching the phone between the Sony and Denon to compare sounds and ended up with:

Denon:
Master Volume - still testing but between -5 and -10 seemed okay.
Subwoofer +12db
Speakers -12db (could do with being a bit lower actually, -15 probably ideal, but +/-12 is the limit).

Sony:
Master Volume 23/31.

The 20hz is then almost close to the output direct from the Sony, and the 80Hz is on par.

Of course as soon as I adjust the main volume on the Denon it's very easy to lose the 20hz.

On a different topic I did also find that our TV (that I've been using as another source for testing) was set to headphone output to the Denon - the other option Line In made the bass match the actual programs that were on better (can't fully describe it but it was a bit sort of muffled). I also noticed that people further away from the camera are now heard at a lower volume than those close to it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom