How can I best remove sticky grease from a kitchen wall?

Foebane72

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Our cooker in the kitchen is placed right next to the back wall in the kitchen, and it gets mucky with grease every time I fry my steaks. The trouble is, it is difficult to clean off. I had to clean up the kitchen today, but rubbing the wall with a soapy Brillo pad is not removing the stickiness or the grease in general, and neither is Fairy liquid on a scourer. I've heard that baking soda is a great way of dissolving the grease, and if that fails, so is white vinegar, so which should I apply to the wall to get rid of the gunk, and which is more effective for the situation?

Napalm

Cilitbang is very good, but you could make life easier with a splashback.

When I need to remove grease, I use odorless white spirit. Even better, is Surgical spirit, that really cuts through grease. I believe it has the same alcohol as Methylated spirit.

Obviously, all of these are highly flammable so use care!

Another good degreaser is the thermal interface remover (TIM Clean) and the supermarket-available cleaner(s), based on orange oil.

invest in a handheld steam cleaner, fairly inexpensive and will cut straight through it

Use commercial kitchen degreaser. 50ml to 1 litres. spray on leave for 15 minutes and then wipe off.

You can buy it 5 litre packs from buzz catering etc

Use commercial kitchen degreaser. 50ml to 1 litres. spray on leave for 15 minutes and then wipe off.

You can buy it 5 litre packs from buzz catering etc

Any good with burnt sugar!?

Our cooker in the kitchen is placed right next to the back wall in the kitchen, and it gets mucky with grease every time I fry my steaks. The trouble is, it is difficult to clean off. I had to clean up the kitchen today, but rubbing the wall with a soapy Brillo pad is not removing the stickiness or the grease in general, and neither is Fairy liquid on a scourer. I've heard that baking soda is a great way of dissolving the grease, and if that fails, so is white vinegar, so which should I apply to the wall to get rid of the gunk, and which is more effective for the situation?

Use one if these after you get it cleaned......

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Another vote for White Spirit. Inexpensive and effective.

I'm gonna get Cillit Bang Kitchen Degreaser from Tesco tomorrow, if they have it. May as well go for a simple solution (no pun intended).

Elbow Grease if you can find it .Mrs swears by it

Another vote for White Spirit. Inexpensive and effective.

Yup, cleaned much of my kitchen with White Spirit a while back, nothing else I tried worked anything like a well.

:smashin:

Elbow Grease if you can find it .Mrs swears by it
This. Got some years ago when we first decorated our kitchen. Had no idea what it would be like but pleasantly surprised by it's effectiveness! You can get it in Tesco (possibly other supermarkets as well) or purchase from Amazon.

I will second Elbow Grease! That stuff is insane in the kitchen!

I have a suggestion.
Look for/experiment with a product you wipe/spray onto the area BEFORE your steak frying.

Imagine if you covered your hand in thick hand cream, then put your hands in some mud, how easy it would all come off, as the cream had given your skin a barrier.

Perhaps some spray waxy? or some oil? a thin mist before you start, will allow all the marks to wipe away far far easier when you are done.

Think of it like you grease a pan so your food won't stick.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom