Question How different are the Kef LS50 and Kef R300?

rossini

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Planning on a new AVR (Marantz SR6010 or Yamaha RXA850/1050) and want to partner with good stereo speakers, as I listen to music as much as movies.

Impressed with the Kef LS50's - especially as I listen to a lot of vocal/acoustic music - but also reading great things about the R300's so thought I'd ask the people here in the know as to what and how much difference there is between these two sets of (albeit great) speakers.

Cheers

As you have heard the LS50s, I'll describe how the R300s will sound in comparison - in my view - I would highly recommend hearing them, and comparing them, for yourself as you may feel differently.

For me, the LS50s are like a mini Reference speaker. Very detailed, with a nice, smooth treble void of any graininess, which is a negative that can plague cheaper speakers. Nicely balanced,

In comparison, the R300s are a fuller sounding speaker due to its larger cabinet and bass driver. This changes the balance you will hear from the LS50s. I feel the R300s lose a little detail because of this, but sound a little sweeter and a little "nicer" for those that prefer that sort of sound. More forgiving, if you like.

But the ultimate choice can also come down to amplifier choice, room, and output volume needed - three areas where the R300 score more positively. They're more efficient, have a larger bass driver and are a three-way design, so will play louder, and in turn will fill a larger room more easily.

Thank you. That seems to go with my own thoughts - based on what I had read etc - so will heed your advice and go listen to some. My room is relatively small, hence why I initially was looking at the LS50's, but didn't want to get these to learn I'd missed out on "something more" that the R300's could provide.

Cheers!

I think DavidF hit it. The Kef R300 are a larger 3-way speaker with 6.5" (165mm) bass drivers, and a combination 125mm (5") Mid/Tweeter and obviously in a larger cabinet.

Hi-Fi Speakers - R Series - Fact Sheets - Bookshelf - R300 - KEF United Kingdom

Frequency range (-6dB): . . . 42Hz - 45kHz

Frequency response (±3dB): 50Hz - 28kHz

Contrast that with the Kef LS50 with a single 5" bass driver -

Flagship Hi-Fi Speakers - LS50 - Overview - KEF United Kingdom

Flagship Hi-Fi Speakers - LS50 - Fact Sheet - LS50 - LS50 - KEF United Kingdom

Frequency range (-6dB): . . . 47Hz - 45kHz

Frequency response (±3dB): 79Hz - 28kHz

A very noticeable difference in low end response.

However, the -6db rating is not that different.

The LS50 is going to have a long slow roll off, and softer more balanced bass.

The R300 is going to go deeper and drop off more sharply, and is likely to have more noticeable bass.

Keep in mind that a 6.5" speaker is about TWICE as big as a 5" speaker.

The LS50 has a more sophisticated Cabinet design with the front face rolling away from the driver. Internally very well braced.

The R300 is more of a standard Box speaker.

As a generalization, I would expect the LS50 to excel in a Surround System, though many people use them as primary music speakers. I would expect the R300 to better stand on its own as a Music speaker in a Stereo system. Though again, that's a very fine line.

Of course, the best you can do is actually listen to the speakers.

I would say that in a modest sized room with tolerable acoustics, the LS50 would make a very impressive Surround Sound system, and do a pretty fair job for music as well.

Keep in mind, it is not as simply as this Front speaker vs that Front speaker. If you get the R300, you are somewhat committed to getting the Kef R200C Center speakers, which is not a pixie of a speaker, nor is it cheap -

KEF R200C Centre Speaker - Superfi

Where as with the LS50, you simply need another single LS50 for the Center (£400).

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

I have 4x Kef LS50, 1x Kef r200c center, SVS sub, Hegel H80 integrated amp (HT passthrough to drive the front speakers) and a marantz sr6010 receiver. All I can say that the LS50s are remarkable speakers both for music and surround. I would however consider another receiver than the marantz. To my ears the marantz is to bright when not using audyssey, it produces a tireing sound with the LS50s compared to my previous onkyo receiver and the Hegel. For movies when using audyssey it's exellent though. I would look at a receiver that produces a more neutral or warmer sound, maybe Yamaha is a good match...

I demo'd both at Harrow Audio and did a pretty comprehensive write up here ...

Yet another "Which Speakers Should I Buy?" question ...

Bottom line,

I preferred the LS50's over the R300 by quite a wide margin but can not agree more with what DavidF says. What I like may not be what you like, so you have to hear them both for yourself, ideally with your kit (which is what I did) and even more ideally in your own home (I was unable to do this).

Last edited:
The LS50's are one of my all time favourite speakers, very balanced and superbly built, the treble/midrange is smooth and very detailed and the bass is perfect for a speaker of that size, one thing that annoyed me with the R series was the excessive bass which had to be tamed using the outer ring of the port plugs and room placement issues, although still a very well built speaker i would pick the LS50's over the R300's every time.

Last edited:
I agree, there is a big gap between the LS50's and Reference 1's so the R300's would have to be a compromise in a large room.

In a larger room why not R500 or R700, no stands required?

Because the question was "how different are the kef LS50's and kef R300's" which are both standmount speakers.

I listened to them both in the same room and preferred the R300 - more of a dynamic punch to them - but could be a tad sharp with the wrong amplifier driving them

Interesting, apart from the obvious scale i found the LS50's outperformed the R300's in every way.

The LS50s are a more informative speaker, but many may prefer the "nicer" sound of the R300s. As mentioned, LS50s will perform better in a smaller room.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom