How do you avoid awful films?

elsmandino

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I know that films (like music and art) are very subjective but some are just plain awful.

I spent the weekend watching two of the worst films I have ever seen on Netflix - Sextuplets and The Bad Batch.

The trailers both made them look pretty good and I took a chance and I was disappointed to say the least.

I was just wondering whether anybody on here does any research on here before watching a film.

I used to use IMDB as a sort of yard stick - not watching anything with less than 5/10, but then some of my favourite films have scored less than this, so I stopped using this system.

To be fair - it is almost always me that picks the stinkers, so perhaps I should leave my Mrs to do the all the choosing.

The reviews here in the first instance. If it hasn't been reviewed here I use IMDB.
Anything above a 6.5 and I will give it a go.

Whilst there are a lot of trolls who will just score anything 1 or 10, the sheer weight of voters usually counteracts those and I think IMDB do weight the scores too.

Sextuplets for example has 4.4 on IMDB meaning I wouldn't touch that with a bargepole.
The Bad Batch has 5.3 which again means I would steer well clear.

Unless I know the film I now always check IMDB first, it has thrown up a few gems which I would have ordinarily ignored as they looked rubbish but the IMDB rating was good.

Last edited:
Thank you - I have just tested a load of films that I like and they all seem to be at least 6.5.

Great advice - thanks very much.

Watch The Toybox, not just the worst horror film ever it’s the worst film in movie history. So to answer your question, I clearly have no way in avoiding garbage, but then again I like to make my own mind up. I do after all love Return of the Living Dead

I go by word of mouth and IMDB generally.

Buying/watching stinkers is part of the fun, because sometimes there is a gem in the rough even if others disagree.

I just don't watch Marvel films :devil:.

I don't think it's possible to avoid stinkers entirely as, has been said, it's subjective. I've found films the mainstream go mad over to be stinkers to me and equally, fell asleep during Oscar fodder critics fawn over. You just have to look at wildly different ratings the same film can sometimes get across IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic.

It is entirely subjective but unless I am mis-reading post #8 it is very easy for people to conflate "not to taste" with "stinkers". Tentpole blockbusters or Oscar bait may not be to personal taste, but that does not mean they have no merit ;) Peace and love all :)

I'm still a little confused how someone could watch the trailer for Sextuplets and conclude that it looked "pretty good". ;)

Last edited:
Not watching Netflix "original" movies will help your average quite a bit.

Watch The Toybox, not just the worst horror film ever it’s the worst film in movie history.

I'll have to give that 10 minutes just to see if it can beat "Plan 9 From Outer Space"

I know that films (like music and art) are very subjective but some are just plain awful.

I spent the weekend watching two of the worst films I have ever seen on Netflix - Sextuplets and The Bad Batch.

The trailers both made them look pretty good and I took a chance and I was disappointed to say the least.

I was just wondering whether anybody on here does any research on here before watching a film.

I used to use IMDB as a sort of yard stick - not watching anything with less than 5/10, but then some of my favourite films have scored less than this, so I stopped using this system.

Look for the words "Directed by Zack Snyder" or "Directed by Michael Bay", then quickly run away as fast as you can.

You have to watch some rubbish ones to appreciate the better ones even more.

As per the Marvel comment, everyone has different tastes anyway. I avoid reviews and just look at what the film is about, normally an indication whether I will like it.

The reviews here in the first instance. If it hasn't been reviewed here I use IMDB.
Anything above a 6.5 and I will give it a go.

Whilst there are a lot of trolls who will just score anything 1 or 10, the sheer weight of voters usually counteracts those and I think IMDB do weight the scores too.

Sextuplets for example has 4.4 on IMDB meaning I wouldn't touch that with a bargepole.
The Bad Batch has 5.3 which again means I would steer well clear.

Unless I know the film I now always check IMDB first, it has thrown up a few gems which I would have ordinarily ignored as they looked rubbish but the IMDB rating was good.
Now what? :D
How would you go on with 6.1 and 6.4 which have to be 2 of my favorite horror films and really enjoy Deep Rising and Slither respectively.

Now what? :D
How would you go on with 6.1 and 6.4 which have to be 2 of my favorite horror films and really enjoy Deep Rising and Slither respectively.

6.4 I might try, but 6.1 is a step too far! :)

IMDb. Anything under 7 I try to avoid unless it's a comedy or rom-com.

When you say two of your favourite films are less than 5, what are they and have you loved them since you were younger (rose-tinted glasses syndrome), or are they relatively new films?

Going by how much hype gets generated around a film these days, I'd give it at least a year before the IMDb score has any credibility and gives a more accurate representation on the average score.

So, for me:

1. Wait a year if you can
2. Don't go below 7.0
3. Or 6.0 for comedies/rom-coms.

i dont..... i only watch stuff that interests me really and if its a stinker its a stinker... <shrugs shoulders>..

I firmly believe there are no such things as stinkers, only films I personally don't care for. I think to rubbish someone else's endeavour, who must've put considerable time and effort into making it (you try making a movie and seeing just how monumentally difficult a thing it is to do) just to be a dick on the internet and make yourself feel important for a moment or two, then you can shove it where the sun don't shine cos I don't wanna know.

I'm still a little confused how someone could watch the trailer for Sextuplets and conclude that it looked "pretty good". ;)

Or somewhat per”plex”ed you might say? :D

I just fall asleep.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom