How I migrate old tapes to DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinImber

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Not sure which section - Mods move if you see fit!

My migration of video tapes to DVD.

I have been copying a large number of video tapes to DVD-R, and this is how I have done it.

Equipment

The first item is the VCR, I am using a Sanyo VTC-M40 Beta HiFi deck, good picture and sound with stupid head life. This deck went for 13 years before the heads were replaced. This is connected to the analogue in of my Sony TRV33 video camera, then by Firewire via my sound card into the PC.

I have found that Ulead DVD Movie Fatory capturing is more reliable than Visual Studio, I tend to check every hive minutes and if I get more than one dropped frame rewind and recapture the last few minutes.

Now the video material is on the PC as an AVI or group of AVIs I can trim the ends and adverts and prepare the material for the MPEG encoder.

Because oldish tapes CAN have problem with encoding (however Beta usually holds up brilliantly) I cannot skimp on the bit rate, so I keep to under 2 hours per DVD.

I use TMPGENC XP on 2 pass VBR and best quality settings, I alse run at 320kb/s for sound unless I can fit the MPEG on easilier then I go to 384kb/s. A 45 minute programme takes approximately 8 1/2 hours.

One good feature of TMPGENXP is that new projects can be added on the fly, also by using background idle only, I can capture or burn while not stopping the encoder, very usefull.

I have just completed the first series of Tour of Duty, I recorded on SuperBeta HiFi (NICAM) then edited to BetaHiFi for storage, these tapes play back surprisingly well.

I use captured screen shots for the menu, the DVD itself, and the cases.

So I now have an 11 DVD set of the first series of Tour of Duty with original sound track.

I used ARMY font - a perfect match

Not sure which section - Mods move if you see fit!

I'm sure the mods will get around to moving it eventually, they are very busy though.

Nice work by the way, although you could have used blu ray for maximum storage potential :nono:

Erm...........

I just use this :)
11380-dmrez48vimg1.jpg

Bumping a thread back to the top.
OK who paid soupdragon to bump this thread? :mad:

:p
Just a little freelance work I do on the side :)

Honestly, I don't know why I bumped it. So many old threads bumped lately I decided to find the oldest thread I could find without a reply and then reply to it. Absolutely no reason other than that.

I need to get out more :blush:

Just a little freelance work I do on the side :)

Honestly, I don't know why I bumped it. So many old threads bumped lately I decided to find the oldest thread I could find without a reply and then reply to it. Absolutely no reason other than that.

I need to get out more :blush:

We've the same sense of humour, noticed the same and did the same over in the photography section, thread was from 2002 so I win :laugh:

We've the same sense of humour, noticed the same and did the same over in the photography section, thread was from 2002 so I win [emoji23]
Win you say? Not so fast, you're just 1 nil up :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom