How long have you had your current TV?

How many years have you owned your current TV?

• 1 year

Votes: 24 16.1%
  • 2 years

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • 3 years

Votes: 17 11.4%
  • 4 years

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • 5 years

Votes: 18 12.1%
  • 6 years

• 7 years

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • 8 years

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • 9 years

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • 10+ years

• Total voters

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about changing my TV for a while, not because there is anything wrong with it, but because I fancy a bigger screen a something a bit more modern.

Lately I've been putting more effort into seeing what's out there, mainly due to the sales and the general quality that is available.

I found my receipt for my current TV, a Sony KDL-40L4000, and I bought it in December 2008 and it's still going strong. This made me wonder how long people keep their TVs with technology seemingly moving along faster than it ever has before.

2006 for me. I've replaced everything connected to it. I bought a 50" screen only.

I've not seen a new TV with a picture that's impressed me tbh.

Interesting thread. My current TV is a kdl 40D3000, bought in 2007 I think. Still apparently going strong aside from the left side sometimes being dull for a while on switch on.

Key factors for me though are that it isn't 1080p and how dull the image probably now is (albeit a steady unnoticeable decline)

I got given a new TV yesterday so I've had it for one day! I'd been dropping hints for ages so I'm glad the parents came through for me! There was nothing wrong with my old one, I just fancied a change and a bigger screen. I've had the old one for 6 years which was top of its range (26" Samsung) when I got it and the new one is a lovely 32" Samsung.

Five years - when it does go OLED should be mature. :thumbsup:

Interesting thread. My current TV is a kdl 40D3000, bought in 2007 I think. Still apparently going strong aside from the left side sometimes being dull for a while on switch on.

Key factors for me though are that it isn't 1080p and how dull the image probably now is (albeit a steady unnoticeable decline)

Yes 1080p would be nice but perhaps after a year or so 4k might be the one :) just not seen a TV with smooth fast movement and panning + good blacks

Yes 1080p would be nice but perhaps after a year or so 4k might be the one :) just not seen a TV with smooth fast movement and panning + good blacks

I know. Seems little point replacing until necessary as something better always being produced. I've still got a 720p projector gathering dust. Think I'll set that up again.

Had my 50GT50 for just over 2 years, and my 50PZ70 for over 7 years.

See no reason to change until 4K becomes more mainstream unless one of them becomes faulty.

Before the PZ70 was purchased, we went through 5 TV's in under 2 years before I was happy.

My 40" Samsung TV is about 6 or 7 years old now. I was one of the first in the country to get it at the time, it's lasted very well too but does seem small now compared to the larger TVs you see these days.

I made the mistake of going into Selfridge's in Oxford Street and seeing the new Loewe Art 4K 55" TV which I now must have. Just need to find the cash somehow to pay for it!

Have had my Pioneer LX5090 9th Gen Kuro for 5 years now.

TV is still mint and impresses me daily, but just want bigger!

I'm dying for it to breakdown now but I think it's pretty much bombproof.

So looks like I need to bang it on the classifieds and decide what I want to get next.....problem is nothing has yet matured in regards to 4K and Oled.

So just looking for an inbetween set for another couple of years while the technology matures.

Question is which 60" is the bad boy at present???

Have had my Pioneer LX5090 9th Gen Kuro for 5 years now.

TV is still mint and impresses me daily, but just want bigger!

I'm dying for it to breakdown now but I think it's pretty much bombproof.

So looks like I need to bang it on the classifieds and decide what I want to get next.....problem is nothing has yet matured in regards to 4K and Oled.

So just looking for an inbetween set for another couple of years while the technology matures.

Question is which 60" is the bad boy at present???

Haha! I've had my 5090 Kuro for 6 years now! It's still going strong despite it loosing some IQ but in my opinion, it still has one of the best pictures around. I did wobble, started looking at the 2014 Sony lineup but have decided that I'll keep this beauty until OLED becomes a bit more affordable.

Well I'm the one whose TV is 9 years old, actually it will be 10 years in March. And yes, it's a CRT (Toshiba)!!!! I've been more concerned about paying the mortgage off but as part of doing up the whole house will shortly be investing in a new TV, soundbar, Blu-ray + stand. Will probably go for the Samsung 48HU7500 4k, who knows it may last another 10 years!!

Two Hitachi models one a 42" and the other 50".
The 42" is 13th old and the 50" is 6th old both are plasma

Coming up on 5 years, only considering replacing it as I am moving into a new flat with more room and want a 55"

I have a Sammy D8000 plasma I've had for 3 yrs now

Well I have had the Panasonic Quintrix 36 inch TV since 1998 CRT (big thing when it came out Flat screen, super picture then) . Was used as 2nd TV and with Xbox since 2009. Now going out giving spectacular 16 years service after heavy use without a single breakdown or any defect in the CRT pixels(wow). Some Japanese firms sure had quality and durability then.

It is giving way to Panasonic TX-P42V10 plasma which was bought in 2009, again working without a flaw. This has moved out of the living room to give way to the mind blowing Samsung 64F8500 Plasma which was crowned the king of HDTV plasma in the TV shootout in 2013. I hope this survives for another 5-8 years till we have OLED and regular 4K broadcasts.

Had my UE55F8000 about 16 months now and usually change sets roughly every 3-4 years.

His sorry for delay..........wait for it.....................£3000! 2

If memory serves, I began my AVF life in 2006 when I bought a Samsung LE32R41BD thanks to help on this site and a 20% discount code. It's still going strong with regular bedroom use.

Every year I think about changing my TV. I'm not keen on upsizing from my current 32" Sony KDL32-W-4000 and any SMART features I require are supplied via my Sony Blu-ray player, Chromecast and Tivo box. The picture is as perfect as the day I bought it in 2008. Good colours, no shadows or stripes. Upscales SD very well. Blacks are more than adequate, certainly not as bad as some current sets I've seen. The sound is excellent coming from its own attached 'soundbar'. I was quite surprised that it had lasted be so long. I really can't remember how much I paid for it. Its predecessor was another Sony, only 26" and was one of their first LCDs. I think it cost me an alarming £1000!

At the risk of showing my age the first colour TV I bought was a 13" Sony 1320UB. It cost £192 at the time (which was about 2 months wages). It was still working 10 years later when I sold it. I have seen one working locally in a museum collection last year. Not bad service after 45 years! They don't make them like that any more.

Sony 'Trinitron' colour television receiver

Last edited:
Very first TV was 1991 Mitsubishi 21" NICAM cost an appalling amount of money that lasted till 1999 when I got a 28" Goodmans, then onto a 28" widescreen Sharp at the turn of the century, then onto LCD ...

Got a Sony in 2008, First Samsung 2011, now in kids bedroom and new Samsung at the weekend - all in perfect working order

50vt30 for four years. Best TV I've ever had and uncalibrated. Had my 55vt65 for my cinema room for 4 months and sold it on the classifieds to get a W1070 projector which I'm gonna keep for years.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom