Answered How many Blu Rays can you get on a 4TB hard drive?

chaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me please how many Blu Rays with just the film nothing else like menu etc you could get on 4TB hard drive Please as my maths and computer skills are not to bright o_O

Quoted from Amazon.com: Questions And Answers: How many movies can the 4TB hold?

It depends on the size of the movie. A Typical commercial DVD is roughly 8 Gigs, so 4TB would hold about 500 DVDs (4000/8). Single layer Blue-Ray disks (high def) will be around 25GB and dual layer disks 50GB, so figure 160 and 80 respectively. Of course, these are approximations. Not all disks are filled to capacity, and all commercial disks contain additional data (menus, previews, optional sound tracks, extras, etc.) not directly attributable to the feature itself.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks bubblegum all I be wanting is to be able to go straight into the films do not want to see previews menu etc just the film and sound. So say 100 blu Rays Would that be about right

4TB = 4,000GB IF bluray is compressed to 25GB = 160 Bluray. More if you make the bluray smaller.

PHEW Thanks are you a Maths Teacher:D

That's a decent approximation but all discs are different depending upon the video bitrate, video length, audio format etc.

Some of my bluray remuxes are only 15GB, others are nearly 50GB.

THat's without menus and extras and no compression.

I rip to mkv to get rid of titles and extras and my average bluray is around 25gb as noted about. The largest is into the 40 gigs but I don't think I've had a 50 plus yet.

I use Handbrake on my mkv rips to squeeze a few more movies on to my drives, I keep the audio as is and then set video to a constant setting of 18 RF, if you are using a screen panel (1080P) up to 50", I think you would be hard pressed to see any difference in picture quality imo.

Thanks for all the ifo guys I have about 200 Blu rays I wish to put onto a hard drive/drives I will have also a few photos on discs about 10 of those would 4TB be enough to keep the original movie with the sound but not all the extras or would need a bigger hard drive

I would say bigger or a 2nd drive.

I'd also have a backup if funds allow. Do you really fancy ripping all those discs again......

Thanks Bob

I see there are a lot of 4TB hard drives different makes and different prices it is so confusing which would be the one to go for considering all I am going to have on it is my films.I would like it to be as cheap as I can get if that is possible without losing quality

Do you want internal or external drives? If external do you want portable or desktop variety?

I myself use 4Tb portable drives from Western Digital as my first choice. They are silent, small and with a reputation for reliability. Most importantly they are powered offf USB so no need for a plug, unlike the desktop drives. The Seagate drives are about the same standard as are Maxtor, who are owned by Seagate these days. Look to pay around £120 for 4Tb portable drives. The larger chassis desktop externals are a bit cheaper but not much and far less convenient to me.

Given that it is just fior media you don't need anything greater in performance. Look for USB 3.0 for quick files transfer.

In that case I would still look at Western Digital internal drives. Always my first choice.

I was thinking the same but which colour like I said its just for films & photos nothing else

Go for a WD Red as it's designed for NAS use. As above when I rip my movies to MKV they seem to average 20GB - 30GB. So for your 200 movies you are looking at 4Tb - 6TB plus whatever for your photos. I would say 4TB is on the small side if you want to rip all your movies 1:1 (with no compression).

Since you are getting/have a 2 bay NAS have you thought about redundancy? Are you going to get 2 x 4TB drives and use one as a mirror in case you lose a drive?

I am not getting a NAS just a storage unit to hold the hard drives to play though my media player. No I am not going to mirror it (What ever that means:confused:) But you are right about I do not want to lose quality on my moves or sound so i will get 6GB one and see how I get on. At the moment I am trying to get my head round getting a ISO copy of my 3d films so I can play them on my media player so far I am getting nowhere I have DVDFAB Blu Ray Version and Make MKV and tsMuxeR 2.6.12 Download Free - VideoHelp I have had a load of help from next but can not get ISO copy even WINISO ( Which is total crap ) anyway I am going off subject should I still go for the red Label WD as I do not have a NAS

I don't think it's actually a NAS as it doesn't seem to have a network connection, it's just a RAID enclosure.
Regardless of whether it is or not I don't think I'd bother about mirroring a 2 disk array and just have an external drive as backup.
I would agree 4TB is a bit on the small side and probably go for a 6TB drive. I'd also recommend a WD Red.

EDIT - Chaz replied at the same time as me.

I'd still go for the WD Red as although it's not a NAS it's an enclosure with more than one drive, so you'll still have some of the benefits of using the Red such as vibration reduction and cooler running when other drives are in close proximity.

I don't think it's actually a NAS as it doesn't seem to have a network connection, it's just a RAID enclosure.
Regardless of whether it is or not I don't think I'd bother about mirroring a 2 disk array and just have an external drive as backup.
I would agree 4TB is a bit on the small side and probably go for a 6TB drive. I'd also recommend a WD Red.

EDIT - Chaz replied at the same time as me.

I'd still go for the WD Red as although it's not a NAS it's an enclosure with more than one drive, so you'll still have some of the benefits of using the Red such as vibration reduction and cooler running when other drives are in close proximity.
Ok Bob I have the choice of going for a 2bay enclosure or 4 bay the difference in price is about £30 would it be better for me to go for the 4 bay and get smaller hard drives and get the extra hard drives as i go along lets say 2TB each which gives me a total of 8TB which I do not think I need more than that What do you think? is that the safer way to do it

You'll probably actually save a little money by going for smaller drives and spending a little more on the enclosure.
You're going to need about 5TB approximately just now so 8TB (4x2TB) doesn't give you a huge amount of expansion. Also remember you have an overhead with hard drives, so 8TB is actually 7.2TB.

I'd maybe go for the 4 bay and 3TB drives. 3 or 4TB is about the sweet spot just now for HDD prices in capacity to the pound.

If it was me, I'd get a different 4 bay storage device that supports RAID5. Put in 4 x 3TB drives which will give you a total capacity of 9TB while allowing for the loss of 1 disk (discount 1 full disk for your redundancy). Plenty of space for future expansion and redundancy.

Apologies as this thread is getting more expensive for you as it goes on!

what is this RAID5 please bob

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom