Question How reliable is speaker cable that was cut and prepared by a HiFi store?

LivingRoomFanatic

Novice Member
Reaction score
I’m buying some equipment and speakers soon. I was looking at getting some Chord Clearway speaker cable, and some Cambridge Audio Banana plugs. The shop said they will cut and prepare the cable for me. I’m pretty new to all this (although have done my research in other areas) and wondered if this is an easy job, or is it best to buy pre-plugged cabling? Is that even a thing? I’m just worried about spending money on a poor job.

I also wondered if pairing these particular cables and banana plugs is a good option? I appreciate that the likely answer is that it’s fine and ultimately doesn’t matter too much. Appreciate any input.

Stores usually do a good job of terminating cable but can charge handsomely for the privilege. There is really no need to spend out on expensive cables and finishing, plenty of deadbolt banana plugs that are very easy to fit yourself. If you are buying equipment from the same dealer then get him to throw in the terminated cable free of charge. I've never been refused and came away with Clearway interconnects and terminated speaker cable when I purchased my last stereo amp. If you don't ask you don't get.

Nothing wrong with these.

If you don’t get them for free then do the cables yourself as it’s quite satisfying and will take from about 15mins of your time.

As above do it your self, it's simple and quite satisfying.
Also when setting up these things they never go exactly to plan, speakers placed in a slightly different place, having to route cable in a different way etc.
Buy a wee bit extra cable just in case (and for future reorganisation)and do it yourself.

Alternatively, go down your local DIY store and yourself some cheap twin and earth cable.
A few cheap banana plugs off flea bay.
Save yourself a fortune.
And your system will still sound the same.
Obviously my opinion only, but tested the above out 30 odd years ago in a couple of grands worth of system.
Cables and connectors are our snake oil.
Again my opinion.

Its just a length of copper cable at the end of the day regardless of what snake oil marketing or unicorn skin it comes wrapped with.

Agreed, though you can get cable with banana plugs, it is not that hard to do it yourself -

Sewell Deadbolt Banana Plugs are very easy to install -

These require NO TOOLS, as the video illustrates. I use them and they hold the wire very tightly. The Deadbolt have the slight advantage of having Plastic Bodies, which makes the chance of a short between wires less likely.

These below are by far the most common type, and simply use Two Screws to hold the wire in, also very easy to use. All you need is a small screwdriver -

Next you have to decide what type of wire you want.

Do you want a Figure-8 twin lead like this -

Or do you want a Round double insulated like this -

Just illustrating types of wire, there are actually several too choose from not limited to just these.

Most commonly you will want either 14ga (2.08²) or 2.5mm² speaker cable.

Generally you want COPPER Wire and preferably OFC (oxygen free copper) cable. You DO NOT want CCA or copper clad aluminum wire.

Really for many systems, 16ga or 1.5mm² are fine for typical short common runs of wire, but 14ga or 2.5mm² is on a very small amount more and most feel definitely worth it.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
There no real reason to even use banana plugs.

Bare cable is just the job.

There no real reason to even use banana plugs.

Bare cable is just the job.
Speakers are not much of a problem because they are out in the open, but for amps in a closed cabinet, twisting around trying to connect bare wire is not quite so easy. Yes it can be done, and if you amp is out in the open, not as big a problem.

Banana Plugs are for convenience and ease of use, and generally a lot more fail safe.

But you are right, just putting bare wire in the terminals does work.

I've also found that Speaker/Amp terminals can work loose over a period of time, partly from vibration and partly from changes in temperature. It is advisable to snug them up ever month or two.

Banana Plugs are under spring tension, and are far less effected by vibration or temperature changes.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom