How to replace Sky SR102 with another Router (Sky Fibre)

I've been looking into replacing my SkyQ router with an Asus AC68U. According to the post below you don't need to use wireshark anymore.

Simple tool for extracting the username and password from YOUR router.

Do I just need to flash the firmware of the Asus with Merlin and enter a made up username in the Option61 setting? Is it that simple?

Cheers for any help.

I changed my SR101 over to RT-AC68U a couple of years back and followed this -
Asus RT-AC68U & Sky Fibre setup
WireShark is required to extract Username/Password

But the link you posted mentions from Dec'16 after I had changed over, MarJohn is quite clearly stating any old name/PW in the correct format can be used. You could try contacting Sky and getting it confirmed. Otherwise try it and If fails fall back to WireShark method. The Asus is definitely better.

Btw what modem will you be using ?

I was under the impression I could use the AC68U as the modem without the need for an Openreach one. If that's not the case I think I still have one knocking around in the attic somewhere, or there's loads of cheap HG612's on ebay.

You mean this one -
ASUS DSL-AC68U AC1900

My mistake, I assumed you would be going with the RT

Resurrecting this thread for a bit of a help if possible! I have an RT 68U arriving tomorrow. I ended up buying an unlocked HG612 3b from ebay as couldn't find my old one.

In advance of the router showing up I thought I'd check the modem and firmware version. Stuck already! I have it powered on but not plugged into the master socket. I have a cable from Lan2 into my laptop. I've set the laptop to IP of 192.168.1.1 so I should be able to log into the web interface of the HG to check firmware. No dice. I know the HG is there as advanced ip scanner can see it. Ping requests from command line time out.

Any ideas? I'm wondering if I can't access because it's not plugged into the master socket but that seems unlikely. If I hard reset the modem will I have to then unlock it again? Appreciate any help bit baffled!

Ended up doing a hard reset and then reflashing the modem with the latest unlocked firmware with webgui. Seems to be working fine now . Hopefully tomorrow is just a simple case of plugging it in to the master socket and connecting the Asus Lan 1 and all done...

As I understand it there's no need to wire shark clientid anymore. Apparently as long as the format is correct anything will work. I'm actually with nowtv for fibre on a monthly rolling contract having moved from sky. I left my sky q router as is and it's happily connecting as it's basically the same connection as my sky one.

Just realised I got that info from you wolfie in February up the page!

All up and running. Bit of a faff with ac68u as made the schoolboy error of not resetting to defaults after flashing the firmware with merlin. WiFi was behaving very strangely until I reflashed and did a full initialise. WiFi coverage in the house is defo better than the sky router and all devices seem much snappier than before. Connecting the ac68u to the openreach modem only needed the made up username password and worked immediately. Virgin recently put fttp cables into our road so will probably go for that when it comes online.

All up and running. Bit of a faff with ac68u as made the schoolboy error of not resetting to defaults after flashing the firmware with merlin. WiFi was behaving very strangely until I reflashed and did a full initialise. WiFi coverage in the house is defo better than the sky router and all devices seem much snappier than before. Connecting the ac68u to the openreach modem only needed the made up username password and worked immediately. Virgin recently put fttp cables into our road so will probably go for that when it comes online.

I'm switching to now TV broadband (FTTC) from plusnet in a few days time and would like to retain using my Asus AC87 router with the openreach modem. I assume I leave the WAN settings in the router as 'PPPOE' and use a 'made-up' user/pass? is there any format to the user/pass?

I'm switching to now TV broadband (FTTC) from plusnet in a few days time and would like to retain using my Asus AC87 router with the openreach modem. I assume I leave the WAN settings in the router as 'PPPOE' and use a 'made-up' user/pass? is there any format to the user/pass?

kungfuman did you get this working with nowtv as I want to do the same things?

kungfuman did you get this working with nowtv as I want to do the same things?

Yeah, I got it working though did run into a weird hiccup that I'm not sure if it was my set up causing it. This is for running an Asus router (with Merlin FW) and the Openreach modem.

Initially I was using an N66 router and all I did was set the 'WAN type' to Automatic IP rather than PPPOE and then add a made up username/passcode in the format described (i.e. abcdefgh@skydsl|1234567890abcdef ) in the option 61 field.

This worked fine from day one and lasted about 3 days and then it dropped connection. Tried the usual reboot and giving it time to connect didnt help. I did have a similar dropped connection issue with my previous provider plusnet and thought it could be my router so had a new AC87 to swap out. Tried with the new AC87 router and still didnt work. Then I used the passcode extractor to get the option 61 username from the nowtv hub and put that into the field and it worked. Its been up for nearly two weeks now and hasnt dropped out (touch wood).

I have a DrayTek Vigor 2830n.

Does anybody know whether I will be able to get rid of the Sky Hub Router and just use this DrayTek soley on it's own?

I am on broadband not Fibre. Also is there anything else I would need?

I have a DrayTek Vigor 2830n.

Does anybody know whether I will be able to get rid of the Sky Hub Router and just use this DrayTek soley on it's own?

I am on broadband not Fibre. Also is there anything else I would need?

Yep, should be all you need right there. Just read through the above regarding usernames / passwords and follow the quick start wizard choosing PPPOE

Can I use this tool to extract my user and password from the Sky Q hub ER110 and use it on my BT Smart Hub?

Thanks

I thought it had been sussed out that you don't need a specific username & password any more ?

Either way, I found the best way was to keep the sky router, turn the wireless off and get an access point. That way should you ever move ISP you won't find yourself with a useless router. I bought a ubquiti unifi and its a great little bit of kit.

Hi all,

I'm starting to question my sanity.

I've got the RT-AC68U, and a secondhand Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B BT Openreach Modem off of eBay.

I got my Sky details from WireShark. I downloaded the latest Merlin firmware, and installed it manually successfully. I've set my WAN settings to Automatic and everything as described in this thread. I've input my Sky details from WireShark into the Manual clientid option 61 field.

My BT modem is plugged directly into my phone socket in the wall, I have unplugged the Sky Microfilter and Sky Hub router. The BT modem LAN 1 socket is plugged into my ASUS WAN socket.

I am connecting my macbook to the ASUS using the ASUS LAN 1 port to be able to log in to the router.

The power light and DSL light are on on the modem, but the LAN 1 light is not.

The power light, 2.4ghz and 5ghz lights, and LAN 1 light is on on the router, but the WAN light is not.

As a result, in the router.asus.com Network Map interface it is saying the internet is not connected and 'The network cable is unplugged.

The cables are properly plugged in.

Can someone please help me understand what I've seemingly missed? I just want to get access to the 40mb I pay Sky for rather than the 20mb max speeds I get from them using Sky's own router.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I'm starting to question my sanity.

I've got the RT-AC68U, and a secondhand Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B BT Openreach Modem off of eBay.

I got my Sky details from WireShark. I downloaded the latest Merlin firmware, and installed it manually successfully. I've set my WAN settings to Automatic and everything as described in this thread. I've input my Sky details from WireShark into the Manual clientid option 61 field.

My BT modem is plugged directly into my phone socket in the wall, I have unplugged the Sky Microfilter and Sky Hub router. The BT modem LAN 1 socket is plugged into my ASUS WAN socket.

I am connecting my macbook to the ASUS using the ASUS LAN 1 port to be able to log in to the router.

The power light and DSL light are on on the modem, but the LAN 1 light is not.

The power light, 2.4ghz and 5ghz lights, and LAN 1 light is on on the router, but the WAN light is not.

As a result, in the router.asus.com Network Map interface it is saying the internet is not connected and 'The network cable is unplugged.

The cables are properly plugged in.

Can someone please help me understand what I've seemingly missed? I just want to get access to the 40mb I pay Sky for rather than the 20mb max speeds I get from them using Sky's own router.

Thanks in advance.

Just trying to cover grounds. But have you tried swapping the ethernet cable with another one between the modem and router?
Also, do you get any type of connection between lan2 and the router wan port?

It sounds as though you have either a dodgy cable or dodgy wan ports on either the modem or router.
I think it's possible to disable the wan ports too. So make sure you don't have the router in bridge mode or access point mode.

Just trying to cover grounds. But have you tried swapping the ethernet cable with another one between the modem and router?
Also, do you get any type of connection between lan2 and the router wan port?

It sounds as though you have either a dodgy cable or dodgy wan ports on either the modem or router.
I think it's possible to disable the wan ports too. So make sure you don't have the router in bridge mode or access point mode.

I've tried different cables, so I'm sure it's not that. I don't have it in bridge or access point mode either. And no, I don't get a light going from LAN 2 to WAN.

Is it possible to use the Sky SR102 as the modem to test if it's my Openreach Modem that's not working?

Thanks,

I've tried different cables, so I'm sure it's not that. I don't have it in bridge or access point mode either. And no, I don't get a light going from LAN 2 to WAN.

Is it possible to use the Sky SR102 as the modem to test if it's my Openreach Modem that's not working?

Thanks,

Only by having the router in access point mode.

Can you plug your pc/laptop into the openreach modem? See if you get a light on the lan port. You'll have to manually set your IP settings on your pc/router to be able to get into the router stats (that is if it's unlocked)

Hey guys vote the Rt-n66u... it mentions an update at the top but I have not updated for ages and ages.

Which is the latest stable and is it still simple.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom