How to switch to real 4k 120hz on a projector + all digital?

rickebee

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a setup that is actually nice, for 1080p.
  • 112 inch GrandView Prestige series screen
  • BenQ w1070 projector
  • a computer running Plex media server, with no special graphic card besides onboard, with many TBs of space

For a long time, I would like to resolve 2 issues that annoys me alot, and since we're moving to a new house, I have a chance to replace components, since I will have to move them anyway.

Issues I want to get rid of :
  • Framerate : either on 24hz or 60hz (my source is a computer, remember), I clearly see all video artefacts. Some people don't notice. I DO, SADLY. Not sure of the terms, but it may refer to stuttering, horizontal panning "lag", or other similar terms. I played all I could do with compatible resolutions, no joy
  • Cannot play 4k/2160p content : could be the projector limitation, computer limitation, probably both since they have a couple of years

Avenues I am willing to explore :
  • Going for a 4k projector + graphic card + other components required to play correctly 4k, at 120hz : I think 120hz is mandatory to remove the stuttering/horizontal panning problem/other name this issue has
  • Going for a large 4k tv, but the size will be much smaller : these days, the "standard" for big TVs is 85/86 inch

Do you have any recommandations to achieve this ?

Thank you in advance for any positive contribution you should bring here !

Source - the vast majority of what you will be viewing (assuming you are talking above Movies and TV) are originated at and or delivered as either 60Hz, 50Hz or 24p so any higher frame rate viewing will require something in your signal path either doubling or tripling the frame rate - which can bring a different set of visual issues into the equation.

Plenty of Projector and Display manufacturers included frame rate conversion to try and eliminate poor horizontal motion handling - ideally there should always be an Off option too for the smoothing process!

4K UHD Source (with HDCP2.2) - would require you to down convert the signal to 1080p with HDCP1.4 to play on your current Projector or you replace the Projector with a 4K UHD/HDCP2.2 (presumably HDR) Projector or Display.

At the budget end of the '4K' Projector market you will be looking at a 1080p Projector with some form of pixel shift to allow it to display a 4K signal - it is a process which can work very well.

Joe

120hz is still pretty much the pc monitor, i don't know of any PJ which does this and as far as TV is concerned only a couple do it. Without knowing what pc you have suggesting an upgrade may not be possible, that said have you tried another player other than plex to see if that eliminates your issues, I personally use kodi as my media manager with madvr or vlc as the player.

Thank you for this input. Since my objectives are to playback 4k/2160p, and lessen at most the horizontal panning effect, what are your recommendations in terms of hardware ?

I was mentionning that I could use a TV instead of a projector, but that woule be at the cost of loosing ~20 inches of diagonal. Many years have passed since I use mainly a projector, so that would probably be a stepback for me if the solution to playback 4k with as little as panning/stuttering issues is to use a TV.

So please feel free to provide your inputs on the kind of hardware that would fit best, or maybe the king of side effect-cancelling technologies that are better than others. Each manufacturer have its own way to address these kind of issues (sport-mode, frame-doubling, etc.), maybe you have in mind some that are better than others !

I will definitely change my projector for something else, and understand that I would not achieve my goals with my current hardware.

Thank you!

120hz is still pretty much the pc monitor, i don't know of any PJ which does this and as far as TV is concerned only a couple do it. Without knowing what pc you have suggesting an upgrade may not be possible, that said have you tried another player other than plex to see if that eliminates your issues, I personally use kodi as my media manager with madvr or vlc as the player.

Hello, yes I have had a great journey in this area, playing with Kodi, MadVR, and such. In the end I found that it was highly complicated, highly unstable, and I did not get much improvement.

Here is a (french) reference post that I used to gain knowledge in optics and digital signal treatment : Tout sur l'Ultra Haute Définition (UHD/4K/8K, HDR, HEVC) [Topic unique] - HiFi & Home Cinema - Video & Son - FORUM HardWare.fr

Upgrading my PC would be possible. Actually, I use a SSD, 16 Gb of RAM, a core i7 4th generation. So I suppose that the upgrade would be in the graphics card, not sure though of the benefits to expect.

Thank you!

If your using on board graphics there are some limitations, I use a 6th gen i7 and a gpu so don't find the same issues, you can get the h265 hevc code from the windows store it's free, YouTube link for it.

That all said I used to have a similar set up to you but my pc had a gtx980 gpu and had no issues that included playing 3d titles.

I wanted to bring here a conclusion to my initial question.

I decided to buy a Nvidia Shield Pro to compare, and I am impressed by the results. Everything is better than with my HTPC. Picture is smoother, more beautiful, the controls of the player are quicker. I will definitely drop my HTPC as a frontend to keep the Shield.

As a recall, my HTPC have a core i7, 16GB of RAM, SSD, W10, so it is "relatively" recent technology.

Maybe my curlprit was the lack of a dedicated graphics card. Maybe then a Shield Pro have better rendering capabilities in 1080p than Intel's Skylake processors. I still do not have a 4k display to test, but I am optimistic.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom