How well do 4k tv's display 1080p signals ?

martkt10

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Thank you for looking at this question,
I have read online that a 1080p can look fuzzy on a 4k tv, is this true for all 4k tv's

The reason i ask is that i would like to use a 43'' tv as a monitor so that the text is larger (problems with eyesight)
and the computer i currently have can only do 1080p.
I know that oled are very good, but being disabled i cannot afford an oled tv

Thanks again for any advice given

Never noticed any fuzziness on my 48" 4K TV. The scaling is very good and even standard definition is quite watcheable from a couple of metres away.

The LG nano cell use an IPS panel so have great finer detail for a lower price than OLED. The Sony 900h is good choice for gaming with full array led back light and hdmi 2.1.

If you must buy a TV instead of a computer monitor then I recommend the 49NANO816NA. Then I would set the resolution to 4k but increase the windows scaling to 150% or more and if you have a modern AMD graphics card you can do what is called GPU scaling.

Most 4k TV will look ok at 1080p resolution just have to make sure you set the right refresh rate and if you want that clarity go with IPS panel for a PC monitor.

Last edited:
The LG nano cell use an IPS panel so have great finer detail for a lower price than OLED. The Sony 900h is good choice for gaming with full array led back light and hdmi 2.1.

If you must buy a TV instead of a computer monitor then I recommend the 49NANO816NA. Then I would set the resolution to 4k but increase the windows scaling to 150% or more and if you have a modern AMD graphics card you can do what is called GPU scaling.

Most 4k TV will look ok at 1080p resolution just have to make sure you set the right refresh rate and if you want that clarity go with IPS panel for a PC monitor.

I'm using a mac and they don't have that kind of feature , but thank you for the recommendation

I wouldnt recomend the LG nano 81 for gaming it has no type of VRR support and doesn tdo 120hz

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom