How will the new Labour party reform to win support?

Said "made up sh*t about me" or similar about 4 times. She'd be fudgeing terrible on Just A Minute.
You can say that again..
Err, no you can't. Another point for Paul Merton.
:D

I was absolutely gobsmacked to read that she was a barrister prior to being an MP. With Sir Kier Starmer you can sense that, he has some kind of gravitas and speaks with authority, whether you agree with what he says or not. Emily Thornberry just speaks.....

Said "made up sh*t about me" or similar about 4 times. She'd be fudgeing terrible on Just A Minute.
In the interview clip that I saw on television (not online), Emily Thornberry said "shit" only once, not four times, but I concede that there may be a longer version, perhaps there is a link to that?

In the interview clip that I saw on television (not online), Emily Thornberry said "sh*t" only once, not four times, but I concede that there may be a longer version, perhaps there is a link to that?
right here, it was linked to in the post I replied to, just didn't quote the link again

I originally thought it might be on a loop, but then I noticed differences

Yes thanks, you are indeed correct, four bleeps! :)

I know who i’d believe. Seems just the thing that ET would say behind closed doors.

Maybe future Labour MP’s should be made to pass Key Stage 6 maths tests 🤣
should be the whole damn lot of them, what with the current govt's increasingly creative accounting

3 options as far as I can see they are considering:

1. Blame Jezza
2. Blame Brexit
3. Blame Policies (other than their brexit policy)

They seem to be going to 1 & 2, and thinking that 3 was great.

If they continue down this line Boris has already won the next 2 elections.

The Labour Party need to replace Jeremy with someone who has a good understanding of statesmanship and leadership.

Then the new broom can slowly but surely sweep out the existing garbage.

So according to Lisa Nandy the problem is that the Labour HQ is in London.

My gosh Labour is still struggling big time.

she isn't well regarded there.
Really? She still polled higher there than the combined Tory and Brexit Party vote last month, and was not in favour of a second referendum.

Really? She still polled higher there than the combined Tory and Brexit Party vote last month, and was not in favour of a second referendum.

She'd have sank without trace if she hadn't changed her tune.

What's all this about Richard Burgon as deputy?
According to the Independent. "his main crime is not to be a Corbynite, but a most incompetent Corbynite. His buttock clenchingly bad interviews with Kay Burley have been expertly satirised in Michael Spicer’s Room Next Door videos. "

I personally think Labour is effectively over for the foreseeable future. They seems wedded to their momentum hard left and it will take a long time for them to realise that the most successful way to engage with the average Briton is not by following a far left agenda. Most people I know have elements in their politics that lean to both the left and right. Far left / right hardcore zealots are not representative of the average citizen. Labour representing the middle ground was when they were strongest politically. They need to face facts. Hard left is not an answer to hard right. Base policies on pragmatic rational thinking with real vision, not ideology. Create a national mission that is bold and forward looking that people will aspire to engage with. Something that will generate huge demands for educated and skilled labour with resulting jobs that are world leading, globally impacting and last for generations. Something visionary like what President Kennedy did with the Apollo project in the USA.

The problem with the Corbynites, is that they believe their own political thinking is the way to go and eventually the voters will get on board, because they are 'right'. It was just the same decades ago, before Blair and his group modernised the party.

Any party should represent a large section of the population. If they don't, they will die.

1580757133555.png

1580757166540.png

1580757209375.png

1580757613774.png

Just caught the start of BBC's Hardtalk interview with Red Len.

Admitted within the first 2 minutes that for a year before the election he knew Labour would lose it. Quite the admission. I'm sure he wasn't alone either; so glad they basically just willingly car crashed the whole election.

Taped the rest anyway to see what else he had to say. As I'm sure the questions of Brexit, anti-Semitism etc etc will be asked.

Quite the admission. I'm sure he wasn't alone either; so glad they basically just willingly car crashed the whole election.

A shameful dereliction of their duty to affect a meaningful opposition. Absolutely contemptible.

Ashcroft's analysis of Labour's defeat (similar to the one he did on the Tories in 2005) ...
- dodgy as fudge a-hole, but his more objective polling and analyses are often on the money
After the Conservatives lost their third consecutive election in 2005, I published Smell the Coffee: A Wake-Up Call for the Conservative Party. I felt that the Tories had failed to grasp the reasons for their unpopularity and needed a serious reality check if they were ever to find their way back into government. With Labour now having been rejected by the voters four times in a row, I thought it was time to do the same for them.

No doubt some will be suspicious of my motives. I’m a Tory, after all – indeed, a former Deputy Chairman of the party. There are two answers to that. The first is that the country needs a strong opposition. Britain will be better governed if those doing the governing are kept on their toes. Moreover, at its best, the Labour Party has been a great force for decency, speaking up for people throughout the country and ensuring nobody is forgotten. We need it to reclaim that role.

The second answer is that you don’t have to trust me – just listen to what real voters have to say in the research that follows. Last month I polled over 10,000 people, paying particular attention to those who voted Labour in 2017 but not in 2019. We have also conducted 18 focus groups in seats Labour lost, with people who have moved away from the party (often feeling that the party had moved away from them). The report includes extensive quotes from these discussions, since they explain Labour’s predicament better than any analyst could. They are all the more powerful when you consider they come from people who were voting Labour until very recently and probably never expected to do otherwise.

We also polled over 1,000 Labour Party members, and conducted focus groups with members of the party and of Labour-supporting trade unions, to see how the Labour movement’s understanding of the election differs from that of the electorate at large and whether – and how far – they think the party needs to change.

From election night on, senior Labour figures have argued that the result was all about Brexit – with the implication that their lost voters will be back in force once that issue is off the agenda. While there is no doubt that Brexit played a huge part in the election, Labour would be wrong to draw too much comfort from that. Yes, many voted to “get Brexit done.” But they also thought Labour’s policy of renegotiation and neutrality was simply not credible: it stemmed from hopeless division and proved the party was nowhere near ready for government.

More serious still for these voters was the principle that Labour had refused to implement the democratically expressed wishes of the people, and often of their own constituents. Brexit therefore became a metaphor for a party that no longer listened to them, taking their votes for granted while dismissing their views as ignorant or backward. “They were saying, ‘it’s the adults talking now, leave the table and we’ll sort it out for you’,” as one former supporter put it. Another linked Labour’s apparent attitude on Brexit to Gordon Brown’s encounter with Gillian Duffy in 2010: “He tarred her with the bigot brush rather than listening to what she had to say. It’s the same with Brexit.” These impressions – of a party unready for office and unwilling to listen – will not vanish just because the Brexit legislation is complete.

It was reported that Labour’s official inquiry “exonerated” Jeremy Corbyn from any blame for the election result. I can only assume this was a compassionate gesture for an already-outgoing septuagenarian leader, because no serious reading of the evidence could reach such a verdict. “I did not want Jeremy Corbyn to be Prime Minister” topped the list for Labour defectors when we asked their reasons for switching, whether they went to the Tories or the Lib Dems, to another party, or stayed at home. Though a few saw good intentions, former Labour voters in our groups lamented what they saw as his weakness, indecision, lack of patriotism, apparent terrorist sympathies, failure to deal with antisemitism, outdated and excessively left-wing worldview, and obvious unsuitability to lead the country.

But the feeling that the Labour Party was no longer for them went beyond Brexit and the Corbyn leadership. While it had once been true that “they knew us, because they were part of us,” Labour today seemed to be mostly for students, the unemployed, and middle-class radicals. It seemed not to understand ordinary working people, to disdain what they considered mainstream views and to disapprove of success. The “pie in the sky” manifesto of 2019 completed the picture of a party that had separated itself from the reality of their lives.

As far as many of these former supporters were concerned, then, the Labour Party they rejected could not be trusted with the public finances, looked down on people who disagreed with it, was too left-wing, failed to understand or even listen to the people it was supposed to represent, was incompetent, appallingly divided, had no coherent priorities, did not understand aspiration or where prosperity comes from, disapproved of their values and treated them like fools.

Despite all this, the defectors we spoke to do not rule out returning to Labour. Indeed, many now clearly relish their new status as floating voters, ready to hold governments to account and take each election as it comes. But they won’t do so until Labour changes, and most expect the necessary transformation to take years. While many Labour members grasp the need to change in principle, it is clear that they would find some of the shifts voters say they want to see – such as a less liberal stance on immigration, or much stricter fiscal discipline – harder to stomach in practice.

This report is not a road map to recovery: different people can draw sharply different conclusions from the same data, and I’m sure that will be the case with this research. But the first step is to come to terms with your starting point. What follows is a pitiless but objective assessment of where that is.

His original 2005 edition on the Tories ...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom