HP Reverb G2

Anyone think RiftS sales are going to tank when this headset comes out? Built in headphones, IPD adjuster bigger FOV. I just hope this headset has leant from RiftS and Cosmos launches when it comes to tracking.

I guess RiftS will have to keep a £200 price differential to keep it relevant. I suspect Reverb G2 will start at £600 which won’t put any pressure on Rift S at launch but will come into play further down the road if sales dry up or if Valve, Microsoft and HP drive for market share forcing Oculus out of PCVR altogether.

Out of interest what are other people’s price estimates?
RiftS sales tank? I may be wrong but I can't imagine they sell that many anyway..... Whilst it is better than quest in a few areas I would say for the most part the quest is the better oculus product over all for most people.
I personal think the rift S is close to end of life. The quest is too much of a compromise fo me so this HP headset is interesting..... But with no ASW 2.0 i still want to see what this rumoured quest refresh will be like (I have not followed for last month or so due to exhausting work/childcare balance so may have missed something.)

Even so this looks great if windows are moving away from 2 camera inside out tracking

They will price it at probably 500-600. If they did it at 400, its game over for Oculus in PCVR.

Lets be honest, Oculus have pretty much dumped the Rift S anyway. Its just their ugly bulky cousin against their love child, the Quest.
The only reason the Rift S has not died is because of a VR headset shortage at that price range and the failure and over pricing of the cosmos.
I disagree about oculus PCVR. If oculus put their minds to I I don't see why they can't make a standalone which still has a fairly uncompromising PCVR feature. The quest is a great proof of concept it's just not quite there yet imo

Today’s the day. :clap:

Don't get ya hopes up to much, Pimax?

A friend of mine is looking for his first VR headset. He’s gunning for Index but maybe the G2 will be a better choice? Not long to find out.

Well it’s going to be supported by Steam and it should be a simple set up due to inside out tracking. As long as it tracks well and the price is reasonable it should be fine. I’m kinda tempted by a second headset to use with my laptop, so I’m interested as well.

I'm tempted to dump the Index for this headset but I love the Index controllers and these look clear a clear step back.

Great job though and at the advertised price point, I can't help but feel anyone who is buying a Rift S should save up more money.

Sadly didn't nail
1. Wireless
2. OLED

so I'm not terribly excited.

I wonder what the UK price will be? Going on previous prices I would say £579 - £599
I think this will have minimal impact on Oculus sales. I wonder if we will see some other second gen WMR units to compete with this.
I`m interested, but not enough to plan preordering............ yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone hear whether there was an increase in the sweet spot? I guess switching lenses should help. I've never tried a Reverb but most say the sweet spot is one of the biggest let downs.

Did anyone hear whether there was an increase in the sweet spot? I guess switching lenses should help. I've never tried a Reverb but most say the sweet spot is one of the biggest let downs.

The G2 uses Index optics so it’s very good.

So it looks like the same FOV as the Index snd same clarity. But the G2 has much better resolution which makes me believe the Index+ won’t be long away.

I think I guessed the price right at £600. :D

Makes me feel better about selling my Index now.

At this price point I feel it's gonna be the most recommended headset, provided comfort is good.

Currently got an Index on order, but think that this looks far more suitable for my needs. I shall definitely be pre-ordering one as soon as I’m allowed. Seems just about perfect for seated simming.

Makes me feel better about selling my Index now.

At this price point I feel it's gonna be the most recommended headset, provided comfort is good.

I just finished watching the HP interview. They said Valve helped them withe the comfort although it’s not a full copy of the Index face gasket it’s pretty close. The material looks the same but they say it’s different.

Headphones are identical to the Index.

Sound promising, especially considering it is 200g lighter than the index (600g/800g)

I only use VR headsets for sim racing, and weight is a big factor for long sessions. The index was very front heavy and immersion breaking as a result.

Tempted to preorder 😁

Grrr! It's not 4k!

Great spec for the price point though, there's definitely a spot in the market for it. A shame the controllers are so basic but many feel the Knuckles are yet to justify their existence.

Are there cap sensors in the controllers? Pretty bad if they're not tbh, doesn't make much sense cloning the Touch controllers if they don't also clone the finger tracking.

Not having a fifth or even sixth camera might be an issue too.

Still, looking pretty good.

I don't think its fair to call the controllers a clone. Its a simple evolution and standardisation of controllers. Look at gamepads, pretty much the same. I agree and certainly hope there are cap sensors in the sticks etc. With the cameras it can greatly depend on the fov of the lenses.

I`m really tempted to get one of these for my laptop.

And they say Valve improved the Godrays. The lens has gone from a two layers design to one and eliminated internal reflections. So we can see where Index+ is heading.

I bet valve will be watching the take up and performance on this thing. But I can’t see it would be a sensible dissection to be releasing a revised Index any time soon. Maybe reduce the current one in price first?

Yup, they won't be releasing a second iteration of the Index anytime soon I reckon. They'll need to cut the price to get rid of current stock first.

Yup, they won't be releasing a second iteration of the Index anytime soon I reckon. They'll need to cut the price to get rid of current stock first.

Did I read that right? You reckon Valve are sitting on unsold stock while there’s an 8 week waiting list on their website???

When do you see Apple slash the price of the iPhone when their yearly model comes out? Oh that’s right they don’t because they’re confident of selling them all. I doubt Valve are that bothered about selling current stock when there’s a world shortage of Indexes. They could just keep the Index current by upping the resolution and lenses.

The second hand market then gets a wave of Indexes when people who see the value in resolution and clarity upgrade. Cost to Valve very little we already know from the Reverb the lenses and panels are ready.

I just assumed that they had sorted out their stock issues. Oculus have stock of the Rift S available every Tuesday which gets sold out in minutes.

Pretty poor that they haven't got their stock situation sorted out yet, despite this COVID-19 business.

They're going to be losing sales.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom