slave1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been building my own HTPCs for many years, when I upgraded the TV to 4k last year I upgraded the GPU to a nVidia GTX 750 1gig and all was/is good.
Now we can finally rip our 4k UHD BRs I want to build my library on hard drives rather than messing around with the boxes and a separate BR player etc.
The current GPU does not cut .265 HDR 10-bit, jutter on playback, out of synch etc., I swapped in a 2gig 750ti from my main PC and same issues.

Remainder of build is W10 64bit, i5 and 8gig RAM, 6 8TB hard drives with huge rip collection....

I watch everything via this HTPC so as low a wattage as possible preferred, cooling fan noise etc.

I've read through plenty of fora on this but still at an impass on the various options...

I hope to take advantage of upcoming Black Friday deals.

This one caught my eyes today...

MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GT OC Graphics Card

Looking to get a GPU that will take 4k, 10-bit HDR, decode .265, must be nVidia

Thanks in advance folks...

Okay, my own tinkering online leads to the conclusion that the 1080 ti is 2.0 only so not 2.0a/b so therefore not what I'm after, very hard to get a definitive list of nVidia GPU I'm after

1030?

Don't believe that has HDCP 2.2, I've just ordered a 3gb 1060 GTX as it appears to have everything I'm looking for at the minute

Don't believe that has HDCP 2.2, I've just ordered a 3gb 1060 GTX as it appears to have everything I'm looking for at the minute
1030GT has HDCP 2.2 and plays HEVC 4k over HDMI 2.0 to a 4K TV with no problems. You also get the 1030 w/o fan, so you can build a silent HTPC.

Hi, thanks for reply, I did look up the specs on the 1030GT and thought I was onto a winner but upon checking nVidia website they quote

To enable Netflix UHD playback, the following is required:
  • NVIDIA Driver version 387.96 or newer driver. No older GeForce driver will support this functionality at this time
  • NVIDIA Pascal based GPU or newer, GeForce GTX 1050 or greater with minimum 3GB memory
So the last piece of 1050 or greater with minimum 3GB memory moved me away from the 1030GT. Believe me I would love a 1030 silent but don't want buyers remorse on this purchase.

If you (or any other out there) is getting Netflix UHD 10-bit via a 1030GT then I still have time to cancel my Amazon 1060 GTX order and scale it back to a 1030 GT...

Hi,
Sorry, i didn’t do any Netflix research, as I don’t use that service. Quite weird that they require 3gb ram though, as there’s absolutely no issues with 4K playback from any other source with that card. 4K Blu-ray remuxes and 4K YouTube plays without hiccups. Oh well, stick with the 1050+ for now :)

I actually don't use Netflix either but that comment threw me, I think I;m going to cancel my 1060 order and go for a 1030 now, the only drawback is I can't source a 1030 with two HDMI's and it would just be nice to had a dedicated feed to my PJ rather than go through the amp but the price differential is big and if it becomes and issue I can always get a 1060 there and then.
Thanks for your post

Well, you might find one (MSI?) with one HDMI 2.0 and one DisplayPort - which is superior to HDMI 2.0...

Fek it, went with the MSI with the display port

Sounds good. You can always get an adapter from DP to HDMI or DVI if necessary :)

Yeah, exactly, intend on HDMI to Amp which will then distribute to both TV and Projector.
Might now use DP with dedicated straight run to TV or PJ just to see the difference in bypassing the Amp.
Intend on getting the Sony 1080 amp soon

GPU arrived today, plays back my 10-bit HDR files without any juttering so passes first test.
I'll have to bypass routing through my Amp so I can see the Windows 10 HDR options but it still won't be a full test as my TV only has 8-bit handling...

Oh dear, threw some .265 encoded files at it last night and it failed, well it played them back but with stuttering, sending this guy back to Amazon

I am after doing the same thing....upgrading from a current HTPC but think I will have to go as far as a 1070ti to get what I want, that is running 4K 10 bit encoded HEVC through JRiver with MADVR with mid to high image processing to achieve best picture I can.

Let me know how you get on.

Ordered a 1050ti 4gb replacement and Amazon dimensions were wrong so does not fit in my case, dopes.
Ordered a 1080 GTX 3gb to replace the replacement, I like it has more than one HDMI...sigh, hope this works for me

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Are you sure you're using a video player which supports x265 and hardware decoding? I can play x265 4k movies here without hiccups through Plex, Kodi or MPC.

Yeah, have Kodi, MPC, PowerDVD etc, think I may be having TV issues thrown in to the mix

Sorry to hear. My 1030 has played everything I've thrown at it so far. Only issue is HDR which is probably more a driver/windows/software-issue. I HAD it working until some new nvidia drivers came and messed it up :p 4K HDR movies still plays smooth though, but not sent to the TV as HDR.

Last edited:
Sorry to jump on this a few weeks later.

I'm looking to upgrade my graphics too having got a nice Samsung 55" 4k TV recently. I play a lot of series and movies off a HTPC using the onboard Intel which has been fine upto 1080.

Like the OP I'm looking for a graphics card to offload some of the processing to so I can send 4k x265 rips to the Samsung. At the moment it all goes into an Onkyo TXSR607 but that doesn't cover 4k or HDCP2.2 so that's been looked at too. Thinking of an Onkyo 646 or 656 there. Like the nice deep bass my Onkyo gives.

Back to graphics, is anyone playing x265 rips on seomthing like an NVIDIA 1030? Normally I use VLC player but for 4k will switch to MPC BE64 which I believe handles it better.

@bjoroy are you all sorted playing via your 1030? I assume it's a 2gb card?

My Msi 2gb 1030 played 4k fine on default settings but could not handle any madvr settings.

I got a new card I want to test quadro p600 which has encode and decode 4k engine as well as hdr.

My Msi 2gb 1030 played 4k fine on default settings but could not handle any madvr settings.

I got a new card I want to test quadro p600 which has encode and decode 4k engine as well as hdr.
What new card did you get?

I understood a 1030 could handle 4k and hdr. I generally use VLC for 1080 stuff and mpcbe64 for the 4k content.

Thanks

What new card did you get?

I understood a 1030 could handle 4k and hdr. I generally use VLC for 1080 stuff and mpcbe64 for the 4k content.

Thanks
I got similar performance card but a quadro p600. I don't actually the use the pc and the 4k monitors for games or movies but have tested it on vlc it struggles as it uses its own built in codec along with cpu/ram more.

Power dvd / mpc seems plays fine.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom