Huawei P40 Pro Review & Comments

Not sure what you mean? Watched the camera part of the video, but no mention of the out of focus parts of pics at certain times.

It wasn't specifically targeted at what you said wrt focusing of the camera on the S20 Ultra. Just his general thoughts on the S20 Ultra. But hey no phone is ever going to be perfect I suppose.

It wasn't specifically targeted at what you said wrt focusing of the camera on the S20 Ultra. Just his general thoughts on the S20 Ultra. But hey no phone is ever going to be perfect I suppose.
My point was that Samsung and by the looks of it Huawei, hadn't quite thought things through with the large sensors & big MP count. Sounds great on paper and sure, they're capable of great, detailed pics. But the depth of field can be so shallow, lots of pics won't come out right because blurring occurs where you just don't want it. So they have a bit of perfecting to do in later models.

@dts197 I'm hoping that OnePlus can make strides in terms of their smartphone camera performance in the next few years - their overall offering would therefore be amazing.

@dts197 I'm hoping that OnePlus can make strides in terms of their smartphone camera performance in the next few years - their overall offering would therefore be amazing.
Personally, I'm hoping the Pixel line brings it's hardware in line with the camera. As they're by far my fav on a smartphone.

Unfortunately from current rumours if correct the Pixel 5 won't be a flagship device :(
A lower performing chip would be good for battery life (like the 3a XL which had excellent battery life). If they could add more storage and a wide angle, that would suit me just fine.

As for Huawei and people hoping future versions having access to Google again, I can't see it in the foreseeable future. The current situation with the virus will surely pit Trump against China even further.

I've gone way off topics. Oops.

Had an email from Virgin with this starting at £32 month. Seems very reasonable and would have been tempted if I didn’t have a need for mobile banking.

Good review, thanks for posting.
It's a very nice looking phone and I can see it being popular in Asia. Sadly here I suspect it will not do week due to the lack of google stuff. With a full system I'd have been very tempted to buy, but this version is no good as I need to run banking apps.
I'm happy with my P30 Pro though so will keep hold of that for now and see how things stand towards the end of the year. I might look at other brands come upgrade time or wait and see if things are resolved by the time the next model in the range rolls around.

Gutted, I absolutely love the look of this phone and it’s hardware but not having Google Services including the API’s is really important. Not having full Android Auto is a big miss too, I use CarPlay a huge amount and would insist on having Android Autoif I was to switch. It’s a real shame as it looks the perfect hardware phone for me.

I do not know anyone outside of YouTube tech reviewers who get every new phone going

This is a good video comparing photos taken by a smartphone camera versus a DSLR

think i watched that when it came out. For me phone images, even shit phone images look good on phone screens. Phone images are throw away.

I know if hardware doesn't have great apps it will not help; however, I think Huawei should take the chance and go for the push to make their Harmony Os a priority. It will be refreshing to have a new Os on the market instead of a duopoly.

For me phone images, even sh*t phone images look good on phone screens. Phone images are throw away.
Not at all. I've taken many phone pictures that look great on a big screen. Phones are more than capable of taking images good enough to be blown up and printed.

MIght not be as good as dslr, but even pro photographers will admit how far they've come in recent years.

Not at all. I've taken many phone pictures that look great on a big screen. Phones are more than capable of taking images good enough to be blown up and printed.

MIght not be as good as dslr, but even pro photographers will admit how far they've come in recent years.
not denying they have come along way, the software is years ahead but i would
still rather spend the money on a dslr/mirrorless system, none of the reviews have convinced me otherwise.

not denying they have come along way, the software is years ahead but i would
still rather spend the money on a dslr/mirrorless system, none of the reviews have convinced me otherwise.

My point is, the fact still remains you can take very good pictures on a smartphone that are far from "throw away".

My point is, the fact still remains you can take very good pictures on a smartphone that are far from "throw away".

Why do you keep posting videos? I'm well aware a high megapixel count doesn't instantly equal quality. Or that 8K recording on a phone means it's better than anything else.

You repeatedly miss the point that smartphones can take very, very good pictures. Especially if you know how to take a picture. So to simply class them all as "throw away" is naive at best.

Why do you keep posting videos? I'm well aware a high megapixel count doesn't instantly equal quality. Or that 8K recording on a phone means it's better than anything else.

You repeatedly miss the point that smartphones can take very, very good pictures. Especially if you know how to take a picture. So to simply class them all as "throw away" is naive at best.
yeah they can look when viewed on a small screen. i edit on a 65" screen and phone images look ropey, and processed even before you start to edit, not something i would want to archive.

yeah they can look when viewed on a small screen. i edit on a 65" screen and phone images look ropey, and processed even before you start to edit, not something i would want to archive.
Strange, I've got loads of pics that look great on a 65" screen. Same goes for 4K video recorded on a smartphone with good 4K capabilities like an iPhone.

Strange, I've got loads of pics that look great on a 65" screen. Same goes for 4K video recorded on a smartphone with good 4K capabilities like an iPhone.
as long as your happy with it.

Sorry to bump an older thread but does anyone know if the Bank of Scotland app works on the P40 Pro, either officially or once Google Services have been sideloaded? I dropped and smashed my P30 yesterday and I'm not really excited by any of the other phones I could replace it with.

Everyone complaining about not having the Play Store apps do realise that it isn't the only app store available right?

I use the Aurora store (which is basically the Play Store anyway) and the only apps that won't work that I used are the Google suite (obviously) but I just use Outlook for mail and YouTube Vanced.

Had the phone for around 6 months now and I love it, upgraded from an older iPhone model and I have no regrets.

Lack of Google apps is a hassle, but could be side loaded I imagine. The lack of banking apps & NFC do kill it as an option for me though. I also couldn't live without a stable (ish) android auto & spotify.

Controversially, I do get/nearly support trump's ban. We all know China is up to no good, and their phones, hardware & software are surely well fingered by the Chinese Communist Party. If you are anybody of interest to them, your data is being kept aside for a rainy day....

Previously, I was biased towards Huawei. Now that I have a smartphone Huawei Nova5T, I adore it. It is very stylish and reliable:thumbsup:
I would definitely agree with you about Huawei. I have a P30 Pro and it is fantastic, I'm not tempted to move it on any time soon.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom