Huawei Sound X Wireless Speaker Review & Comments

Seems odd there are different versions in China. Surely scale of manufacturing makes it cheaper if all models are the same, especially for something such as this.

Seems odd there are different versions in China. Surely scale of manufacturing makes it cheaper if all models are the same, especially for something such as this.
I'm pretty sure the differences between the Chinese and non-Chinese versions are 'security' related.

Thanks Steve. What were they thinking? given as you point out the plethora of smart speakers now available, homepods for less than £200 etc , why would you ever buy one of these? no real connectivity, no wifi/airplay etc, it will be a give away to sell more phones in no time.

Did manage to listen to the podcast review on Wednesday, real shame the UK version is crippled but it seems like a good speaker.

Is the lack of WiFi for a similar reason that their phones don't get Google Play Services.

Maybe if the political situation changes in October the specs will allow an upgrade, it has still got the overly powerful processor so it's entirely possible.

Huawei's problems mainly stem from President Trump's policy forbidding American companies to work with them. May e that will change but who knows.

It seems that the most important thing isn't sound quality. It's a shame its crippled by compromises as I'm sure it'll sound very good, probably better than pretty much anything in the same price range. One has to wonder why they'd even bother releasing such a limited product, no matter how good it sounds. Sound alone won't save this from a price crash in 6 months.

Not at all sure what the problem is here?

It’s by Steve’s account a superb Bluetooth speaker.

So for those who want a superb Bluetooth speaker and don’t want, need or care about apps, WiFi or anything else then it’s a bargain.

There are plenty of such people (not here naturally) including myself.

The attention of the mighty Devialet will ensure it’s sound quality sells it in appreciable numbers.

It seems that the most important thing isn't sound quality. It's a shame its crippled by compromises as I'm sure it'll sound very good, probably better than pretty much anything in the same price range. One has to wonder why they'd even bother releasing such a limited product, no matter how good it sounds. Sound alone won't save this from a price crash in 6 months.

You may be right about the price crash, I’m not so certain.

But if it does, this will make an excellent speaker for my bedroom and kitchen.

You may be right about the price crash, I’m not so certain.

But if it does, this will make an excellent speaker for my bedroom and kitchen.
We've got Dev stuff it's excellent.

We've got Dev stuff it's excellent.

That’s why I’m impressed with the thing without even hearing it :laugh:

Going to first class engineers Devialet for all the bits regarding sound reproduction means Huwaei are serious about the Sound X.

I wonder if there’s more to come perhaps?

A Devialet designed soundbar and sub perhaps?

Ps, I haven’t heard the 220 pro either, but, and definitely including the remote control, I haven’t seen a better looking piece of audio engineering.

That’s why I’m impressed with the thing without even hearing it :laugh:

Going to first class engineers Devialet for all the bits regarding sound reproduction means Huwaei are serious about the Sound X.

I wonder if there’s more to come perhaps?

A Devialet designed soundbar and sub perhaps?

Ps, I haven’t heard the 220 pro either, but, and definitely including the remote control, I haven’t seen a better looking piece of audio engineering.
It's really excellent thanks. I moved from separates with a Linn ads3 source and I don't miss the sound tbf. It was a bargain ex demo.

Oh c'mon really! You Brits really need to get a grip when it comes to Huawei!

Lol okay, let's see how long THIS post stays up on AVForums eh!

Last edited:

Well that made so much sense...?

So for those who want a superb Bluetooth speaker and don’t want, need or care about apps, WiFi or anything else then it’s a bargain.

The attention of the mighty Devialet will ensure it’s sound quality sells it in appreciable numbers.
Have you listened to a sky soundbox? developed by devialet, very poor to these ears had one for a week and sent it back.

Last edited:
I guess these will get banned soon - I'm sure someone will decide they are snooping on our wifi and sending it all back to chinese intel services ;)

Ah... you’re an American I assume. So sorry to hear that.

Like American company Cisco you mean, the routers with backdoor access that the authorities can access. And they have done it time and time again, read the facts. Huawei are a threat because they make better products and are technologically ahead of many other non Western corps. It's all about the $$$ and £££ games.

As a happy user of this speaker, I'm almost SICK with all the reviews speaking of only Bluetooth capability.

It is a UpnP enabled WiFi speaker with High-res audio support (24/192). For example, just install Bubble UpnP on your phone, log in with your Hifi account on Tidal and stream high res directly via WiFi to Sound X.
Or, if you have a NAS with high res music on it, just stream to the speaker. A lot of software exists either for PC, Mac, Android.

And, if you have Google home mini, or Amazon echo input, just connect one of these devices via BT and stream Spotify or make it just a output device for a smart system.

Best bargain in 300€ audio. Really deep bass and excellent treble.

I used to use bubble ds next for my linn ds, fantastic piece of software. As for the sky bar sounding crap, that would be built to a much lower spec so greedy sky would make more money so that doesn't surprise me. I'm glad some people are getting max use and value from this, I'd bet its a cheaper only slightly worse sounding alternative to a phantom reactor 600.

Thanks Steve. What were they thinking? given as you point out the plethora of smart speakers now available, homepods for less than £200 etc , why would you ever buy one of these? no real connectivity, no wifi/airplay etc, it will be a give away to sell more phones in no time.
Now down to £169.00 probably good value at that price.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom