Question Hue, IFTTT and Smart Plugs

Shooter1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Currently in my Kitchen I have a hue motion sensor which controls the main light in the kitchen.
I also have 2 dumb under counter lights, which are connected to smart plugs, which allows me to control them via Alexa.

Is there any way that I can get the smart plugs to switch on the under counter lights if the HUE motion sensor has been activated?

I don't know anything about IFTTT, but was wondering if this would be achievable with that?

I know I only have to say " Alexa counter lights on", but it would be nice if I don't have to say that:D

Unfortunately I don't beleive that Hue has the ability to trigger anything else.

Hue is only available as an action service rather than a trigger in IFTTT.
You could look into whether the hue motion sensors are able to activate the Hue smart sockets which are now available (I would guess they can).

Thanks everyone for all replies.

@Puntoboy If I bought this, on activation, would it switch on the lights and then also switch them off?

I can see how they would be able to switch the lights on, not so sure on how they'd turn them off.

I can see how they would be able to switch the lights on, not so sure on how they'd turn them off.

Usually it's just a timer function. The motion sensor will send a power on command when it first senses motion, then another when it's stopped sensing (or after a designated time).

I haven't tried the official Hue plugs but I do have a generic ZigBee plug from Amazon and an Innr branded one. Both work perfectly with hue accessories including the motion sensor and wireless dimmer switch.

I haven't tried the official Hue plugs but I do have a generic ZigBee plug from Amazon and an Innr branded one. Both work perfectly with hue accessories including the motion sensor and wireless dimmer switch.

I assume you have these configured in the Hue app?

@Jamie Thanks. Can you provide a link to the plugs you have and how you've configured them in relation to the Hue motion sensor?

I assume you have these configured in the Hue app?

Both of my plugs just show as lights and work just the same as other devices wrt to configuring them. As it happens I don't use the official app to program my accessories as I much prefer Hue Essentials to the official app as it allows much more flexibility but I did test them using the official app originally.

@Jamie Thanks. Can you provide a link to the plugs you have and how you've configured them in relation to the Hue motion sensor?

This is the generic one, which is £19.99 so a tenner saved over the Hue plug

The Innr plug doesn't seem to be available from Amazon at the moment, this is the link from my orders page on Amazon but it's bringing up an error page when I click it. I paid 24.99 I think.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SGG1BS5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Programming the motion sensor and dimmer switches isn't something I tend to use the official app for as 3rd party apps tend to offer much more in depth options. I use Hue Essentials.

In the official app they are treated just like an on/off light bulb and are treated the same. They can be added to a room and a scene and be used as part of the sensor setup.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks for the reply. I ordered the below, which works exactly as I want it to.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks for the reply. I ordered the below, which works exactly as I want it to.
That looks identical to the one I use. Mines been excellent and hasn't caused me any issues.

The one slight niggle I had was when I programmed an off function to a dimmer switch. By default lights are faded off, however any value above 0 is on for a device like this so an off action seems to have a noticeable delay. I was able to specifically set a fade time of 0 using a 3rd party app (Hue Essentials on Android)
The apparent delay wasn't massive but just ping enough to make you uncertain the button press had registered. Not an issue for control with a sensor but worth mentioning if you use it in conjunction with a switch

Last edited:
Hi just curious now you had this a while if you would do again?

I am putting some new down lights on either side of my garage with the hue motion detector also.

There are also 5 spotlights under the fascia of the garage installed already. The sparky that installed the spotlights put them on a plug so I had them on a timer but I’m thinking if I install a hue plug it would be timer and also work the motion detector.So curious on your thoughts

I definitely would. I've actually added a couple of official hue plugs to my setup since I last posted on this thread.

Nice one thanks, would u stick with hue over third party brands having hd both ?

Nice one thanks, would u stick with hue over third party brands having hd both ?
Yes I think I probably would TBH.
One possible advantage the hue plug has is it supports hues power on setting so you can choose what the plug does if it's powered down or in a power cut.

the generic plug is quite bulky and the Innr plug actually had some issues going unreachable and needing a power cycle when it was in the loft. The hue plug has been fine in the same location and the innr plug has been fine downstairs.

i don't regret buying any of them though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom