Hue Play HDMI Sync box

I have several issues with my new HDMI sync box.... and it’s driving me nuts. I have a Denon x2600 connected to it, with multiple devices in the Denon.

1. When I play the Xbox and then switch back to tv, ARC doesn’t work unless I disable and reenable sync.

2. Is there a way to have it select the sync mode automatically? I’m guessing not.... so...

3. ... is it better to connect everything to the sync box and then the Denon? Can I set it to automatically select the input of the device that’s turned on.

just seems incredibly flakey it the minute - but when it works, it’s awesome!

Installed one of these on Friday - my setup is Sky Q, PS4 and Sony UBPX700 > Marantz NR1608 Receiver > Sync Box > Sony Bravia.

At first I was wondering why the colours weren’t really correlating with what was on screen on the PS4, until I noticed the Sky Q box was still turned on and the colours I was seeing from whatever programming was running through it.

When I turn off the Sky Q box I get no syncing with the PS4 or UBPX700 whatsoever and it doesn’t seem to matter what is turned on/off and in what sequence - the Sync Box only wishes to talk to the Sky Q box. Anyone else with similar issues?

Installed one of these on Friday - my setup is Sky Q, PS4 and Sony UBPX700 > Marantz NR1608 Receiver > Sync Box > Sony Bravia.

At first I was wondering why the colours weren’t really correlating with what was on screen on the PS4, until I noticed the Sky Q box was still turned on and the colours I was seeing from whatever programming was running through it.

When I turn off the Sky Q box I get no syncing with the PS4 or UBPX700 whatsoever and it doesn’t seem to matter what is turned on/off and in what sequence - the Sync Box only wishes to talk to the Sky Q box. Anyone else with similar issues?
So if I understand it, your Sync box only has one input taken directly from the AV receiver, yet when the AV had the PS4 input passing through the sync box to TV, it was still instead somehow reading the Sky Q signal?

Have you tried the other way, have the Sky/Ps4/UBPX700 going into the hue box, then that go into the AV receiver and that to TV?

Thanks - that routing is going to be my next step but probably won't get a chance to try it until the weekend. It's frustrating as while I know this will, all being well, solve the issue and give me the added functionality of Music Sync, I've got all the various HDMI inputs labelled in my receiver and quite liked the idea of the Sync Box effectively just being a switch between my TV and receiver with no further rewiring going on. Will report back as to how matters progress.

Thanks - that routing is going to be my next step but probably won't get a chance to try it until the weekend. It's frustrating as while I know this will, all being well, solve the issue and give me the added functionality of Music Sync, I've got all the various HDMI inputs labelled in my receiver and quite liked the idea of the Sync Box effectively just being a switch between my TV and receiver with no further rewiring going on. Will report back as to how matters progress.
I don't know if it's the solution, just curious as to what will work as like you, (if I get one eventually) I was planning on having the sync box between AV and TV will all other inputs handles by the AV receiver.

I was hoping to set mine up the same way. That doesn't make sense to me, surely the sync box will only see what the receiver is outputting, which will be the same as what hits the TV

Likewise and I initially attributed the fact that what I was light-sync-colour wise was not reflecting what was on my screen when using the PS4 was down to a fault: it was when I realised that when I switched off the Sky Q box that I got a nil return for any synced lighting at all. Very odd because as you say, the receiver output is what passes through to the TV.

So I've just rewired everything to be Sources > Sync Box > Receiver > TV. What a difference - feels far more stable and responsive. Still got to rename the sources on my receiver and having a remote control for the Sync Box would be handy, but it's OK!

Yes - or else press the button on the box. If there is another way then I haven't yet found it. Hopefully a remote control option will be available before long

Do you need to use the Hue app to switch sources now?
Yes - or else press the button on the box. If there is another way then I haven't yet found it. Hopefully a remote control option will be available before long
Oh? I thought it was meant to auto switch as mentioned in this vid:

Oh? I thought it was meant to auto switch as mentioned in this vid:

Maybe it does but won't that require turning off equipment not in use, like I said in my reply that's impractical. Many people can have devices which need to stay on for whatever reason.

For me, they need to fix it so that it works like @Geebsie initially tried, hopfully by the time it's dropped to £99 they'll have sorted it. :)

I have one on order hoping to use the 2nd HDMI out on my Denon AVR2300. Basically all feeds into AVR, AVR to TV (HDMI out 1) and AVR to Sync Box (HDMI Out 2). If anyone has this working with a denon receiver what settings do you use to configure the HDMI output?

My box has arrived. All works fine on hdmi2 out but only for video. Assume I will have to put the box between an input device E.g Apple TV and the receiver to allow the box to process the audio before it reaches the receiver. I think that the receiver is somehow stripping the audio from the HDMI signal on its way to the TV. The tv and CEC HDMI control etc is telling the receiver not to use the tv speakers so there isn’t a audio signal to process. If I switch my Sony XE93 to use “tv speakers” the music synch does work but the sound is limited as it’s only coming from the tv. This seems really complicated but worth knowing for anyone else with the same setup.

now after a bit more testing the box does actually work with Dolby vision content. This maybe because it is via an Apple TV with Sony tv freindly “ Dolby vision light” . I have the box syncing to 4K Dolby vision no problem.

Hi.. Im waiting for the box to arrive and was wondering if anyone help with the setup for my equipment as I'm not the best at this type of thing, just being honest lol...... Samsung Q9 Qled, Samsung UltraHD Blu-ray, Samsung sound bar.... Im not sure how everything would connect up as I've read that you shouldn't run everything in to the cdmi play as it can cause issues...

Probably Blu-ray to synch box. Synch box to Tv. Then tv hdmi Arc to soundbar arc. You won’t get any of the onboard tv apps to sych as noTV has a HDMI video out capability.

Pretty interested in picking one of these up just purely for the bling factor in the living room.

I’ve been hearing it’s a bit flakey so would be great to hear people’s view on how best to connect this with an AV receiver (Anthem 1120) and my LG C8 make it a bit more stable. My living room is kitted out with HUE in all the lamps and the TV has 2 lightstrips (top and bottom) and 2 PLAY bars (left and right) so the effect should be pretty nice.

Hopefully it can be addressed with some firmware updates as well as adding DV support down the line - not sure about this though!

Probably Blu-ray to synch box. Synch box to Tv. Then tv hdmi Arc to soundbar arc. You won’t get any of the onboard tv apps to sych as noTV has a HDMI video out capability.

Thanks for the info, will give it a try when the box arrives tomorrow... I know the TV apps won't work but now that Netflix is part of SKYQ I take it that would work using the sync box.....

Just got mine today, placed it between denon av and tv and using harmony elite remote control which selects the inputs on av when switching berween devices. Working great.

using it with singe lightstrip around the edge of the tv which shows one colour but was wondering if I put play bars at the sides and top and bottom would they show the same one colour or different colours reflecting the different areas of screen? ( if the picture showed a sunset, would the top be bright and the bottom dark j

any advice appreciated

Last edited:
Just got mine today, placed it between denon av and tv and using harmony elite remote control which selects the inputs on av when switching berween devices. Working great.

using it with singe lightstrip around the edge of the tv which shows one colour but was wondering if I put play bars at the sides and top and bottom would they show the same one colour or different colours reflecting the different areas of screen? ( if the picture showed a sunset, would the top be bright and the bottom dark j

any advice appreciated

Yip, I have 4 different light sources behind my TV and it does this albeit through an app called HueStream on my NVidia shield which is a little janky. Hence why I’m looking at the box as I think it’ll be more responsive and can use it on all sources.

Thanks, looks like I’ll be dropping another £200 odd quid!!

I have two hue go’s at either side and a light strip below plus a light strip across the top. The box can detect colours in at least four zones of the tv (left right top bottom) and is quite impressive. I tried it while gaming over Christmas and it made things more immersive.

I got mine and have it set up and running, so far so good... Its really responsive using a light strip at the top and 2 play bars, one either side of the tv... Yes its a little expensive but it really makes a difference when watching movies etc.... Also it works great on Netflix through the SkyQ box...

Interested in your thoughts guys, on how smooth yours transitions are from one light to another?

I have 7 lights active including 3 play bars and one light strip on the back of the set and find it impossible to recreate the sweeping motion i have seen in videos online.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom