Humax Foxsat HDR custom firmware: Mediatomb HD playback

ceperman

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've had a Humax Foxsat HDR running custom firmware (version 4.1.2), used continuously for over 10 years (thank you Raydon!). I use the built-in Mediatomb in the custom firmware to playback recordings on TVs and PCs elsewhere in my house - but only SD recordings. HD recordings always show "corrupt file" if playback is attempted. I think I read years ago that this just wouldn't work because the recordings are encrypted but I really can't be sure. Can anyone confirm this is the case, or should I really be able to get it to work?

Chris

Yes but not for existing recordings. Future HD recordings can be made without encryption using small patch to the Humax settop app. The patch is known as Nowsters patch.

Check you have telnet enabled on your PC and a telnet package on the Custom Fimware

Open a cmd window and telnet into the Foxsat IP address.

Paste the following into the window and press enter.

Reboot the box. Make a HD recording check the encrypted flag is missing

You will likely find that you get the the audio described track rather then the main track. Install the convertfiles package and run it on your recordings. Do not elect to save the original files.

Many thanks, but can you give a bit more detail how to apply this? I guess you didn't mean just to paste the URL :) I downloaded the .opk file but it's binary and copy/pasting the contents doesn't look like a good idea.

I've looked around for more instructions for the Nowster patch and I've found mention of using a USB stick but nothing very helpful.

Many thanks, but can you give a bit more detail how to apply this? I guess you didn't mean just to paste the URL :) I downloaded the .opk file but it's binary and copy/pasting the contents doesn't look like a good idea.

I've looked around for more instructions for the Nowster patch and I've found mention of using a USB stick but nothing very helpful.

You don't have to download anything. or use a USB stick.

Firstly enable telnet on your PC.

Install a telnet package on your Foxsat-HDR.

Make a note of your Foxsat IP address. Ideally reserve a fixed address on your router to the Foxsat MAC address so it never changes,

Open a cmd window as a administrator

In the command window type telnet your IP address plus enter

You should see a prompt from the Foxsat.

Copy the text from my post above to the windows clipboard

Paste it after the Foxsat prompt (either CRTL+V or right click works from memory)

Press enter.

Reboot the Foxsat to apply the patch,

Make a test HD recording. Copy the .ts directly to a PC (FTP or Samba).

The HD recording .ts file should be playable in HD using a windows media player like VLC.

OK, so I wasn't being so dumb. I did exactly what you said to begin with - pasted the URL into the telnet session, even though I thought "why would that work, it's a URL not a command?". As expected it didn't:

Foxsat-HDR~# http://www.nowster.org.uk/humax/settop-patch_4.0.9utc_mips.opk
/bin/sh: http://www.nowster.org.uk/humax/settop-patch_4.0.9utc_mips.opk: not found
Foxsat-HDR~#

What am I missing?

(Incidentally I'm using Linux).

May be Nowster has taken down the link. Not at home I will look for a link to the version you can flash from USB.

I was able to download the patch to my laptop using the above url so it's still working.

It should download and run the .opk . You can use the same url to get the file on your PC and use a usb stick to apply it.

OK, so I wasn't being so dumb. I did exactly what you said to begin with - pasted the URL into the telnet session, even though I thought "why would that work, it's a URL not a command?". As expected it didn't:

Foxsat-HDR~# http://www.nowster.org.uk/humax/settop-patch_4.0.9utc_mips.opk
/bin/sh: http://www.nowster.org.uk/humax/settop-patch_4.0.9utc_mips.opk: not found
Foxsat-HDR~#

What am I missing?

(Incidentally I'm using Linux).

May be Nowster has taken down the link. Not at home I will look for a link to the version you can flash from USB.

Just tried using the url on my laptop and downloaded the OPK to my laptop without any problem

If you copy it to the root of a USB drive and follow the instructions that should load it. The file should be replaced with a message confirming the patch has loaded.

Evening ceperman,
Literally just picked up a humax foxsat-hdr this evening and considering HDD to install, so would appreciate some insight into your experiences in making models, etc. I had been considering a Seagate Pipeline 2TB but I've come across some horror stories. I'm not a Seagate fan, to be honest. Any advice you could provide would be really appreciated.

Planning on installing 4.1.3 firmware and the decryption patch also, just need a bit of time to strip and clean the unit beforehand so I can fit and forget it for a while.. kissing goodbye to SkyQ charges and shocking customer service.

Hi All, based on the great info from ceperman I have been able to successfully install the firmware and patch my Humax. I have made a video about it here

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom