Humax FVP-5000T Freeview Play PVR Review & Comments

It's just as easy to fit a 1/2TB Seagate pipeline into a FVP-5000T. I have a 2TB in mine.
Hi Graham,
On the subject of swapping Hard drives I noticed the new HD for the Fox T2 was half the size of the original, (half the depth), but the FVP-5000T is a smaller unit altogether so what drive is needed baring in mind that there is only about £40 difference between the 500GB & 1TB if you were only going for a 1TB it wouldn't really be worth it surely, a 2TB drive must be at least £50 ish to purchase in the first place, but how much is the 2TB drive and if it was changed whilst still on guarantee wouldn't it void the guarantee, your thoughts.
Graham.

Hi Graham,
On the subject of swapping Hard drives I noticed the new HD for the Fox T2 was half the size of the original, (half the depth), but the FVP-5000T is a smaller unit altogether so what drive is needed baring in mind that there is only about £40 difference between the 500GB & 1TB if you were only going for a 1TB it wouldn't really be worth it surely, a 2TB drive must be at least £50 ish to purchase in the first place, but how much is the 2TB drive and if it was changed whilst still on guarantee wouldn't it void the guarantee, your thoughts.
Graham.

It's the same size in the FVP-5000T, The 2TB is thicker than the 500/1TB seagate drive so you have to bend the clips used slightly but other than that if fits fine. Some Humax units now use the much smaller laptop type drives. Humax Direct sell a 2TB FVP-5000T unit anyway. Technically it would validate the warranty, however if you warm the security sticker with a hair dryer you can unstick one end and when it cools you can stick it back. Should the box fail for anything other than a HDD and the original HDD was re-installed I doubt anyone would notice. Never had a Humax box fail in the 2 yr warranty period anyway. My Foxsat-HDR with a 1 TB drive dates from late 2008 and is still used everyday.

Humax FVP-5000T 2TB Smart Freeview Play HD TV Recorder

HI Graham,
I think if you want the 2TB version of the FVP-5000T you might just as well buy it direct from Humax, I have not seen any other dealers offering the 2TB version and for £300 I paid that for my HDR FOX T2 1TB in 2011

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi Graham,
I decided to buy the FVP-5000T 2TB direct from Humax it was such a good price I couldn't resist it,
£269 with 10% off, delivered, there are no other outlets selling the 2TB as far as I can see, the best price for the 1TB is £249 so only £20 more for the extra 1TB, I will keep my HDR-FOX T2 with the new hard drive as a spare I know the T2 is much better than the 5000 at certain things but then the new model does have a lot to offer. I have been looking at some of your other posts, absolutely superb mate keep up the great advice.:clap:
Regards Graham Stagg.

Hi Graham,
I decided to buy the FVP-5000T 2TB direct from Humax it was such a good price I couldn't resist it,
£269 with 10% off, delivered, there are no other outlets selling the 2TB as far as I can see, the best price for the 1TB is £249 so only £20 more for the extra 1TB, I will keep my HDR-FOX T2 with the new hard drive as a spare I know the T2 is much better than the 5000 at certain things but then the new model does have a lot to offer. I have been looking at some of your other posts, absolutely superb mate keep up the great advice.:clap:
Regards Graham Stagg.

Hope you like the box, it does have a few odd foibles. Accessing the forward and reverse ad skip isn't a single button option.

This works for me. Press OK, if the current time is highlighted blue then the left and right buttons by OK work to skip. If not press up first to highlight current time now the skip will work as above.

Looking for some feedback from an owner: I currently have the BT Youview box. It's on its last legs, but it's outside contract, so I can't just get a replacement from BT. I'm looking into replacements options, including this model.

I have access to catch-up services from TV, Roku, Xbox etc, so this is just for PVR functionality. (Annoyingly the Sony TV built in PVR doesn't feature timeshift, so need a separate box.)

Does this have any features that would justify buying it (£229), rather than tagging on a £7/month for 12 month to get a new Youview+ box from BT?

Looking for some feedback from an owner: I currently have the BT Youview box. It's on its last legs, but it's outside contract, so I can't just get a replacement from BT. I'm looking into replacements options, including this model.

I have access to catch-up services from TV, Roku, Xbox etc, so this is just for PVR functionality. (Annoyingly the Sony TV built in PVR doesn't feature timeshift, so need a separate box.)

Does this have any features that would justify buying it (£229), rather than tagging on a £7/month for 12 month to get a new Youview+ box from BT?

The obvious one is being able to record up to 4 channels at once and even view a 5th (subject to mux) and of course at least £7.00/monthly) plus potential energy saving depending on which mode you have the Youview box in. The downside is the box is slow to respond to remote control instructions.

Despite it being discontinued, a HDR-FOX-T2 is superior and with the Custom Firmware is much superior as you don't need the catch up services.

Quick Start Guide

My 2000t Humax has just given up the ghost so looking for a replacement. I could get another but I like the fact that the 5000 can record 3 or 4 channels at the same time which would be great as we are regularly getting 3 or 4 programmes that are on at the same time these days and nothing on at other times.

I won't need the freeview play facility though as my tv has this already, just a bit concerned with the fact that the remote has a slow response time would this be much worse than the 2000t model we have now which is ok. Also the 2000t has a known issue with ARC is this model the same or does ARC work correctly with this model.

Cheers

My 2000t Humax has just given up the ghost so looking for a replacement. I could get another but I like the fact that the 5000 can record 3 or 4 channels at the same time which would be great as we are regularly getting 3 or 4 programmes that are on at the same time these days and nothing on at other times.

I won't need the freeview play facility though as my tv has this already, just a bit concerned with the fact that the remote has a slow response time would this be much worse than the 2000t model we have now which is ok. Also the 2000t has a known issue with ARC is this model the same or does ARC work correctly with this model.

Cheers

Think you may have your terms mixed up. ARC - Audio return channel is a feature that allows a avr receiver connected to a TV to return audio from the TV to the AVR or soundbar ie Video from AVR to TV and audio over a single HDMI cable. It does require the TV and AVR to implement CEC control as the ARC capability uses CEC control. As the source of the audio it would be pointless having ARC on a pvr. Not having a 2000T I can't compare a 2000T but I do have two of it's forerunner Namely the HDR-FOX-T2 which is considerably faster to respond than the 5000T. Two of these can also record 4 at the same time and each can view the others recordings (HD and SD).

The HDR-FOX-T2 can also use the excellent custom firmware that is available for this model (not for the 1800/2000T).

Anyone else find the box is very slow to respond to any button pushed? The EPG is dreadfully slow....not what I expected from something costing £200+

Anyone else find the box is very slow to respond to any button pushed? The EPG is dreadfully slow....not what I expected from something costing £200+

Yes it's slow though there some shortcuts that speed up moving about in the epg.

To get to a different day use a long push right or left and select the day you want to get to.

To jump to a different channel at the currently selected time and date tap in the channel number.

The 5000T has two USB ports.
Unless I missed it, the review disappoints rather badly in not mentioning what either of them is capable of facilitating or, just as important, not reporting any limitations that they might (probably!) have. An addendum to the review would be helpful.

The 5000T has two USB ports.
Unless I missed it, the review disappoints rather badly in not mentioning what either of them is capable of facilitating or, just as important, not reporting any limitations that they might (probably!) have. An addendum to the review would be helpful.

They can be used to playback media files. Video, jpeg Photos and MP3 Music.

Can anyone say if this will record programs over the internet without aerial connected and if so will it do more than one program at a time?

It will only record from a aerial. IP delivered content cannot be recorded. It can record up to 4 at the same time subject to Mux. You can actually record 5 using a dodge if it's on the Main PSB HD mux which has 5 HD Channels.

Here's how - set to record 4 From BBC 1-HD, BBC2-HD, ITV-HD, Channel 4-HD and Channel 5 -HD

Set a watch reservation for the 5th. When the programme starts it will switch to that channel to watch it live. At the same time the content is buffered to the time shift buffer. Pressing the instant record button will record the complete program crating a recording from the already buffered content and transferring to the live stream when the buffer runs out.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom