Question Humax HDR-FOX T2 Freeview Recorder scrambles channels

cc120

Novice Member
Reaction score
Finally after several attempts yesterday got all channels working via unit turned off, arial out, installation -factory reset - automatic search, no channels found - turn on, arial in - installation -factory reset - automatic search, finally found all channels and all working perfectly.

But today 26 - itvbe - 38 - quest red, 66 cbs reality, probably other channels had I checked, were all scrambling.

I even tried the manual search for 22, 23 etc etc, but this didn't work at all.

Is the signal too strong, ie would a Plug In Coax TV Aerial Attenuator Freeview Digital Variable 0-20dB stop the scrambling?

Please help?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
What does the recorder report as signal strength and quality in the menu for each and every mux frequency?

Equally (more) likely to be a lack of signal as too much.

Location? Approx where do you live? Postcode within 100m of a shop, church, pub would allow us to estimate signal levels likely and which transmitter is being used.
A bit more information about the aerial system you are using would also help. (Indoor set-top, Communal system, loft aerial, outside on roof; plus any amplifiers and splitters to other rooms).

It's never necessary to do an aerial out tune on a -T2. Initiating a full scan deletes all stored channels in my experience.

Go over the TV aerial cables and remake any suspect plugs. Try alternative fly leads if you have them. Keep hdmi and aerial cables well apart. Try a different hdmi lead if you can. Connection issues can often be the cause of reception problems.

Do you have that as copy/paste boilerplate text Rodders? :rotfl:

That's what I thought the number of times I have seen you type it. It should be made a sticky so that us mere mortals could link to it.

What does the recorder report as signal strength and quality in the menu for each and every mux frequency?

Equally (more) likely to be a lack of signal as too much.

Location? Approx where do you live? Postcode within 100m of a shop, church, pub would allow us to estimate signal levels likely and which transmitter is being used.
A bit more information about the aerial system you are using would also help. (Indoor set-top, Communal system, loft aerial, outside on roof; plus any amplifiers and splitters to other rooms).

It's never necessary to do an aerial out tune on a -T2. Initiating a full scan deletes all stored channels in my experience.

Go over the TV aerial cables and remake any suspect plugs. Try alternative fly leads if you have them. Keep hdmi and aerial cables well apart. Try a different hdmi lead if you can. Connection issues can often be the cause of reception problems.

Thank you Rodders53,
Most of the channels signal are low or none at all.
I have attached transmitter info.
Roof top aerial, put up late 1980s
As nothing has changed regarding cables / plugs / leads since the channels were fine, can't see that would be a problem.
Don't know how to keep hdmi and aerial cables apart when they connect to the tv and recorder next to each other.
Don't think I have another hdmi cable.

I've since found that on one retuning I get ITV 3, 4, 6 etc, but not BBC1 etc, but on another tuning I just get BBC1, etc but not ITV, etc???

When I try manual channel search, I cannot add extra channels to the ones it has decided to tune in to.

The picture improves on each channel when I change the resolution from 1080i to 576i.

Attachments

• transmitter1.jpg
    transmitter1.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Most of the channels signal are low or none at all.
Indicating a faulty aerial installation. Broken or shorted wire. Failed aerial/connection.
Failed amplifier/psu (if an amplified aerial install)?
I have attached transmitter info.
Most probably Crystal Palace then. Drayton Park/Highbury & Islington locality?
Roof top aerial, put up late 1980s
As nothing has changed regarding cables / plugs / leads since the channels were fine, can't see that would be a problem.
As average lifetime of an aerial install is circa 12 years and yours is at least 30 years old... I'll say no more... or maybe I will:
Aerials get damaged by winds/rain/combustion products (if over chimneys). Also birds.
Heating/cooling make connections loosen over time and can cause unseen breaks inside the cable. It can loosen the plug-socket connection on a TV set or PVR as well; a simple push / twist can remake a poor connection.
UV exposure can degrade plastics, make them brittle and crack allowing water in to cause corrosion on the aerial itself and anywhere on the cable outside.
All will adversely affect reception.
Don't know how to keep hdmi and aerial cables apart when they connect to the tv and recorder next to each other. Don't think I have another hdmi cable.
Just don't tie them together, space them away from each other.
Buy another hdmi cable: Pound store ones will be fine if long enough, and probably out-perform a flashy expensive branded one.

When I try manual channel search, I cannot add extra channels to the ones it has decided to tune in to.
Not surprising with insufficient signal into the receiver.

The aerial system needs attention. Simply checking and remaking any connections you can get to might be enough to fix things. But if not you'll need an aerial installer to check over things, especially with the external cables and aerial itself.

Check if immediate neighbours are having TV reception issues? Ask family/friends/neighbours etc.,. for recommendations of aerial installation contractors. Local trading standards may have a 'trusted trader' list?

The picture improves on each channel when I change the resolution from 1080i to 576i
Indicating some hdmi->aerial cross-interference; but a red herring with an overall low signal input level that needs correcting first.

Thank you Rodders53.

Here's the signal / quality readings for:

23 S 10% Q 80%
26 S 10% Q 90%
30 S 0% Q 0%
25 S 10% Q 10%
22 S 10% Q 50%
28 S 10% Q 20%
55 S 0% Q 0%

As it is an aerial problem, I wonder why some hours it's fine, usually in the mornings to early evening. Though today even in the morning it has scrambled most channels and lost many.

Scrambling usually begins approx 20:30, and effects the Itv channels, with other channels showing a perfect picture.

The best tuning times, ie. when it picks up the most channels and without scrambling is between 3am to 7pm. But still misses: 26, 27, 44, 48 to 67, 70 and others.

Would an amplifier help? If so, can you link to an appropriate one on az / other, please?

If an hdmi cable problem, why was it OK for a couple of months? Bought it approx 4 months ago.

Yes I am in Drayton Park/Highbury & Islington.

My TV bought new Dec 2018, is Toshiba Smart TV 49L3863DB.

When I retune, should I retune the TV first, then the recorder?

Humax works best in the 50-75% signal range. What does the TV report for signal levels on the same frequencies? Presumably the aerial goes into the Humax first and then on to the TV via the Humax RF out? You should also try the aerial direct into the TV to rule out a faulty Humax input connection, and to repeat the TV readings without the Humax's built in aerial amplifier ?

You are about 9 miles from one of the most powerful transmitters in the UK and will have a high signal level available. Can you see the tower from your home (e.g. from south facing upstairs window)? Without amplification of an outside aerial, it's unlikely to overload the Humax. The cost of a variable attenuator is small to prove (or disprove) that hypothesis; inserting one in line to the input should result in 100% quality plus increased signal levels on all muxes if overload is a problem. However: You are missing any numbers for the lower power ch56 mux and the lower still Local TV mux on ch 35; so I'm pretty confident it's a lack of signal.

I live a similar distance from Sandy Heath which is almost as powerful as Crystal Palace and a set top aerial works in the upstairs bedrooms. My main aerial is in the loft, my Humax -T2 works well off that and also under varying conditions when I take it with me in my touring caravan.

I'd recommend you try using a log periodic aerial inside the house to prove that the outside aerial and cabling has a fault that need repairing? https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-log-mast-periodic-aerial/67576 (It could later be fitted outside if needed as part of a repair?). If possible on the South-facing side of the house.

Digital TV works seemingly perfectly when the receiver has a good signal and/or can correct received errors but as signals fall it goes over a cliff edge - explained here: Freeview/Freesat Digital TV Amplifiers are very unlikely to help - see Television Aerial Boosters / Amplifiers, Splitters, Diplexers & Triplexers

At the end of the day you need to work out what is faulty, by trial and error. So far you seem to have attempted none of the checks and remake of connections, or different cables that have been suggested?

If you can't do it yourself you need to find someone who can. Ideally a friend, family member or similar; but otherwise a professional aerial installer.

Humax works best in the 50-75% signal range. What does the TV report for signal levels on the same frequencies? Presumably the aerial goes into the Humax first and then on to the TV via the Humax RF out? You should also try the aerial direct into the TV to rule out a faulty Humax input connection, and to repeat the TV readings without the Humax's built in aerial amplifier ?

You are about 9 miles from one of the most powerful transmitters in the UK and will have a high signal level available. Can you see the tower from your home (e.g. from south facing upstairs window)? Without amplification of an outside aerial, it's unlikely to overload the Humax. The cost of a variable attenuator is small to prove (or disprove) that hypothesis; inserting one in line to the input should result in 100% quality plus increased signal levels on all muxes if overload is a problem. However: You are missing any numbers for the lower power ch56 mux and the lower still Local TV mux on ch 35; so I'm pretty confident it's a lack of signal.

I live a similar distance from Sandy Heath which is almost as powerful as Crystal Palace and a set top aerial works in the upstairs bedrooms. My main aerial is in the loft, my Humax -T2 works well off that and also under varying conditions when I take it with me in my touring caravan.

I'd recommend you try using a log periodic aerial inside the house to prove that the outside aerial and cabling has a fault that need repairing? https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-log-mast-periodic-aerial/67576 (It could later be fitted outside if needed as part of a repair?). If possible on the South-facing side of the house.

Digital TV works seemingly perfectly when the receiver has a good signal and/or can correct received errors but as signals fall it goes over a cliff edge - explained here: Freeview/Freesat Digital TV Amplifiers are very unlikely to help - see Television Aerial Boosters / Amplifiers, Splitters, Diplexers & Triplexers

At the end of the day you need to work out what is faulty, by trial and error. So far you seem to have attempted none of the checks and remake of connections, or different cables that have been suggested?

If you can't do it yourself you need to find someone who can. Ideally a friend, family member or similar; but otherwise a professional aerial installer.

Thank you Rodders53. Unfortunately my badly leaking bathroom flat roof had to take precedence over the trial and error to clarify cause of scrambling.

I have been reconnecting and connecting for weeks, checking and rechecking.

Are you referring to a replacement hdmi cable, or also other cables that could be replaced? I was about to purchase another hdmi cable but have to help brother move house.

I ordered the aerial you provided a link to. I'm suspecting a faulty Humax T2 myself.

Could you provide a link to a suitable hdmi cable please?

PS Rodders53,
TV signal quality & signal level:
23 81 8
26 84 8
22 80 8
25 keeps jumping between 28-33-37 8
25 75 7
30 0 0

Those TV numbers are very odd. But do still suggest an aerial and/or cabling fault to me. Disconnect the hdmi cable between TV and PVR (unplug both ends, not just one) and repeat the TV readings to see if there's a difference.

Have you inspected and re-made or replaced any of the aerial plugs and sockets you can get to safely? Poorly made or loose TV plugs and sockets are the commonest issue and most easily fixed usually. Any moulded-cable fly leads should be replaced with alternatives to see if that helps. Also the hdmi lead swapped for another. (Borrow cables from anyone you know initially to see if such changes help. If they do then you can look to buy some. If they don't)

Take the -T2 to another location (where the aerial is know to work well, and is also on CP) to see if the results on it stay the same or come good. That may prove something. If it comes good, do a full retune there and don't do another until you get the aerial system at home fixed {being properly tuned in it will help to find the fault!

You probably need to enlist the aid of someone with the necessary skills to help diagnose the issue, though?

Those TV numbers are very odd. But do still suggest an aerial and/or cabling fault to me. Disconnect the hdmi cable between TV and PVR (unplug both ends, not just one) and repeat the TV readings to see if there's a difference.

Have you inspected and re-made or replaced any of the aerial plugs and sockets you can get to safely? Poorly made or loose TV plugs and sockets are the commonest issue and most easily fixed usually. Any moulded-cable fly leads should be replaced with alternatives to see if that helps. Also the hdmi lead swapped for another. (Borrow cables from anyone you know initially to see if such changes help. If they do then you can look to buy some. If they don't)

Take the -T2 to another location (where the aerial is know to work well, and is also on CP) to see if the results on it stay the same or come good. That may prove something. If it comes good, do a full retune there and don't do another until you get the aerial system at home fixed {being properly tuned in it will help to find the fault!

You probably need to enlist the aid of someone with the necessary skills to help diagnose the issue, though?
Hi Rodders 53

I tried a new HDMI cable which seemed to improve signal for a day, but soon deteriorated again.

Plugged in the log periodic aerial, re-tuned and attained 139 channels, previous best had been 109. Picture seems fine now, though watching a recording today there is still a little interference and skipping now and then.

Might I be eligible for free in-home support, including aerial work if needed from Freeview.

Freeview unlikely to provide support this late after changes at CP but you can ask. You never know unless you ask.

Crystal Palace the tower that transmits the TV signals you receive.

Hi Rodders53, I've noticed that viewing via the digital recorder there is still a little interference, but via the TV the reception is perfect. Does that mean that the recorder is faulty, or/and should I procure a booster?

Re:
Humax HDR-FOX T2

I have the Scrambled message and this is now a permanent feature.

This is what I have done to try and find a solution.

1)Factory Reset, Re-Installation, getting all channels from Winter Hill and unit works fine until that is, you switch of by remote to Standby and turn on again, all back to square 1, signal scrambled or not broadcasting error message.

2) Firmware change , thought that might be issue.
I used the custom firmware, ver 1.02.32, it loaded ok and installed ok

3) TV signal is fine when aerial cable is directly connected to the TV, no issues so it must be the Humax hardware/software?.

I have now come to the conclusion that my Humax requires a board repair for a new component.
From all that I have read across the internet, there does not appear to be a solution, and even Humax's manual tuning solutions have not worked.

Has anyone managed to find a solution to the scramble conudrum?, I would love to know before the unit ends up at my local tip.

Oh, forgot to add, occasionally, if you leave unit turned on with the scrambled message it will suddenly operate ok after 10 minutes after warming up might be an issue and maybe point to a component issue?

Re:
Humax HDR-FOX T2

I have the Scrambled message and this is now a permanent feature.

This is what I have done to try and find a solution.

1)Factory Reset, Re-Installation, getting all channels from Winter Hill and unit works fine until that is, you switch of by remote to Standby and turn on again, all back to square 1, signal scrambled or not broadcasting error message.

2) Firmware change , thought that might be issue.
I used the custom firmware, ver 1.02.32, it loaded ok and installed ok

3) TV signal is fine when aerial cable is directly connected to the TV, no issues so it must be the Humax hardware/software?.

I have now come to the conclusion that my Humax requires a board repair for a new component.
From all that I have read across the internet, there does not appear to be a solution, and even Humax's manual tuning solutions have not worked.

Has anyone managed to find a solution to the scramble conudrum?, I would love to know before the unit ends up at my local tip.
In my case Fruitcake, it was an aerial fault, as I followed Rodders53 advice and bought a log periodic aerial inside the house to prove that the outside aerial and cabling has a fault that needed repairing Labgear LOG Mast Periodic Aerial . Such was proved and dealt with the scrambling. I am still using until my outside aerial is replaced, which was initially installed in the mid 80s.

Where do you live fruitcake? It might give some insight as to the problem
I get lots of that sort of thing (Hastings transmitter) and I have two aerials that I switch between (One of which is the one linked to in the last post.)
It usually affects the BBCB (HD) multiplex first.
It happens most Spring/Autumn times mostly early evening and when areas of High pressure sit on UK. I believe it's co channel interference from the continent as we used to get severe ghosting/foreign channel breakthrough in the analogue days.

I'd ask for signal strength and quality measurements from all mux frequencies tuned as a starting point.
1) when working OK
2) when 'scrambled/no signal'

Plus the location (approx) for reception predictions.
WRH area is often plagued by Moel-y-Parc interleaved mis-tuning issues?

Running CF:
May be worth invoking the <Maintenance Mode> as it may cure a HDD issue with corrupted files? (It does take some time to run).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom