I hate eBay buyers!

Done OK with selling eBay. Had the odd scam but mostly all OK.
Having said that I sold two vintage Habitat chairs last month as we are moving. Really nice black leather chairs in good condition (we have had them from new for over 20 years). Leather had gone a bit hard as it does on one. Mentioned this in the add with pics.
Had a woman message me, she was very interested. Sounded nice and we communicated back and forth. It was all very jovial. Add was for collection only. She is in Scotland (I’m Essex) and asked if I would post. I said OK if she arranges a courier. I even gave her Shipleys website as I had used them many times and she didn’t know who to go to.
Well, I accepted an offer for the pair £250.00. They were advertised for £300.
I wrapped them in shrink wrap and the courier collected.

5 days later she messages me saying the chairs are not leather. They obviously are and I explained this. She wasn’t having it and said they were plastic as they had gone hard and would I pay to get them collected. I said definitely not as they were as described. Was dreading a dispute as I know I would have to cover the cost to get them back. Well the following day she opens a dispute saying items are not real leather. I sent her a few messages, very polite and playing the victim in the hope of getting her onside. I even mentioned that if she just didn’t like them then just say and we could work something out (trying to get her to admit this in a message, could get out of the collection fee then hopefully).
After a few more messages she closed the dispute a week later. I was really relived. Moral of the storey is that with big furniture items do not send, as any issues you’ll have to pay to get them back,If it’s cash on collection stick to it. As we all know eBay is loaded in the buyers favour.

I sold a PC motherboard and the buyer emailed me stating that it hadn't arrived. I checked the tracking number and it was signed for by the seller. After two days of email exchanges, I told him to escalate it with eBay and that I'll report the incident with Royal Mail. Then he emailed saying that he knocked on his neighbours door and after a big argument, his neighbour agreed to give him the motherboard that they signed for.. yeah right.

I had another issue with a motherboard I sold, but this scammer was smarter. He started a dispute seconds after emailing me that the board was defective. He stated in the dispute that the serial number on the board was different from the pics in the listing. That's when I knew it was a scam.

He bought my board to replace his and sent me back his defective one. Ebay made me refund and pay the return postage for it too.

I'm sure this happens a lot.

A buyer can be honest or choose to steal if it grabs them. They're covered either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy it now or best offer with immediate payment. Low offers tend to be ignored and silly offers tend to get the buyer added to my block list.
So you include a beat offer option but don't really want to accept one?

I've never sold on eBay but as an occasional buyer if I see a best offer, I do expect to be able to agree a price less than the buy it now. Why even have it otherwise?

I tried to buy from a seller before who always counteroffered the BIN price. I bought elsewhere.

I normally enable the best offer option but it is amazing how many items just sell at asking with no haggling, perhaps I underprice my items I doubt know but in the last week I have sold a dozen or so items and almost all been received with feedback left but I do wish I had waited for the now active 2% final fee promo.

Ditto. Just sold a load of Pi stuff on eBay and it was a mixture of friction-free trade and nightmare buyers who claimed things were lost, broken or just never bothered paying.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I have sold a few high values mobiles and tablets on there and they sold through fine, with payment in minutes. But yes it's a pain, when the winner is fake and this has been going on for years, doubt ebay can control it, unless if anyone registering goes through a rigorous financial and residential check.

Haven’t sold anything on eBay for ages - I haven’t been eligible for any of the £1fvf promotions recently and I ain’t selling at full price!

Shame as got a few bits to shift

It's a buyers world on there.
I sold a Blu-ray a few years back and the guy said he watched it once but the disc was knackered and got a refund after complaining.
I had a guy this week claim a shirt never arrived but after calling him out on it he later said he hadn't realised he had his old address on there and had now received the item.🤔

Put's ya off selling,thats for sure.

Must admit been buying and selling now for 20 years over 1700 transactions but only a small handful of probs
Maybe been lucky but that’s my expirience

I have given up using eBay for selling due to the exorbitant charges both on eBay and PayPal. I now use Gumtree if I've anything to sell. Saving me a fortune. It's free, uncomplicated and it's always cash in the hand.

All I do now is list buy it now or best offer. I set the buy it now price high, so they will, 9 times out of 10 make an offer, I then pick and choose who I sell to.
I regularly sell to a lower offer from a long established member with regular and 100% feedback, than some chancer that looks suspicious.
Accepting the lower offer is worth it in the long run, especially on phones and high value items.

I have given up using eBay for selling due to the exorbitant charges both on eBay and PayPal. I now use Gumtree if I've anything to sell. Saving me a fortune. It's free, uncomplicated and it's always cash in the hand.

Gumtree is good and I go there first for larger items.
I always wait for the £1 max selling fees on ebay and go there if looking to sell a single Blu-ray or an item of clothing etc.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom