I hate eBay buyers!

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I said “buyers” in the thread title but I should really have said “bidders” because both of the plebs that won my auctions last night have no intension of buying.

Item 1 was a PS4 with original box, controller and a selection of games. The auction finished last night and the winning bidder has 0 feedback and is based in America. Do UK PS4‘s even work in the USA? Anyway he/she hasn’t paid or responded to my message and I don’t expect they will either.
Item 2 was a Mac Mini with keyboard and trackpad and I was quite happy to see the winning bidder had a high and 100% positive feedback rating. Unfortunately 5 mins after the auction ended I got an email from her saying she didn’t realise how old the computer was and didn’t want it anymore. This is dispute the title of the item being Mac Mini 2012!
I have now resisted both items with buy it now and restricted them to domestic shipping only. Thankfully the £1 selling fee offer is still live other wise this would have cost me a lot of money.
This is happening more and more with eBay and I really think eBay need to implement measures to prevent it. If payment is by PayPal why can’t the money be taken from the highest bidders account as soon as the auction ends?

It's 50/50 now whether any buyer pays up for something I'm selling. Then nervously waiting a few weeks to see what fault they can find with a brand new item, just so they can return it at my expense. Just not worth the hassle anymore with the amount of unscrupulous buyers looking to scam you.

I've not had any issues with ebay over the years, apart from one numpty recently that bought my item, paid by echeque (which I've never had before) and then moaned that I wouldn't post it before the cheque cleared. Surprise surprise it bounced, and after I advised them to pay normally and I could post that day, they decided they didn't want it anymore.

All part of 'doing business'...Take it with a smile and shrug it off, or get out of the business.

A friend of mine does retail sales all the time, I wouldn't do it. I love seeing the rants from customers he get especially regarding products he doesn't even sell. They then go on to rant and be obnoxious even more when he explains that to them.

It really makes me wonder at times how some people manage to breathe by themselves, they are so incredibly stupid, and even when irrefutably and politely pointed out they go into full denial mode.

But yes on eBay you get all sorts, both buyers and seller.

I’ll need to have a look for the immediate payment option. That’s what I need.

I have just received a message from an eBay user offering me £100 for a Mac mini with 8gb ram, 240 ssd, 500 HDD with magic keyboard and trackpad.
what do you think my response should be? Lol

I only use BIN with immediate payment required. But it seems no one leaves feedback any more so as @Skull n Bones said, you still have a period of squeaky bum time waiting for the scam to kick in.
I hate the fact that nobody leaves feedback. I always make sure I do it for every purchase and sale but then only receive back about 1/3 from others. It takes 5 seconds to complete so why don’t they do it?

I hate the fact that nobody leaves feedback. I always make sure I do it for every purchase and sale but then only receive back about 1/3 from others. It takes 5 seconds to complete so why don’t they do it?

Its annoying isn’t it. I think it is because eBay has just become a marketplace for business sellers rather than a place to sell personal belongings. Buyers now use it the same as they would Amazon or any other online shop. If you think about that that way, how often do you leave feedback if buying form amazon?

Its annoying isn’t it. I think it is because eBay has just become a marketplace for business sellers rather than a place to sell personal belongings. Buyers now use it the same as they would Amazon or any other online shop. If you think about that that way, how often do you leave feedback if buying form amazon?
I leave feedback for Amazon sellers all the time. It’s not usually the big companies selling on eBay that are the problem, it’s the smaller, independent sellers - those who sell more than just you or I, but not quite a full business - who don’t leave feedback.

what do you think my response should be?
I think I've posted before that I simply ignore low-ballers rather than decline them. I like to think of them eagerly anticipating ripping me off for 24 hours rather than getting a prompt response. :D

Must admit if satisfied by the product ( its as described, which 99% of the time it is) I always leave feedback, I am disgusted though with people who buy from me and don't, I am a private seller and always ensure that as I am payed I despatch next day and the product is always as described ( I have 1500 feedback) so frankly find it rude and offensive not to bother giving feedback.

there is way you can end the auction if you both agree and your ebay fees are refunded

More actions to the right of the item Cancel sale Buyer requests to cancel

there is way you can end the auction if you both agree and your ebay fees are refunded

More actions to the right of the item Cancel sale Buyer requests to cancel
yes, I did that for both items so I should get the fees back. It’s not a big issue though as I used a £1 final fee offer that is currently running.

When eBay removed the ability to leave negative Buyer feedback this is when things went wrong, well for me anyway. Up until that point I'd had very little issues with 100's of problem free sales. I had a classic the other day, PS4 game sold, sent it 1st Class Royal Mail (signed for) cheeky sods tried to take advanatge of the fact that the Royal Mail are effectively signing for parcels when delivered. I recevied notification that game had been delivered but the buyer contacted me stating they had never recevied it. I had to go all through the process of raising a dispute with Royal Mail, I told the Buyer that a refund would be paid upon Royal Mail investigating the claim against fraud etc... Literally 5 minutes later I recevie this response from them " Wait! I've just found it!". 🤬 I use eBay as a last resort nowadays however whatever there is no escape as there is always some bugger trying to pull a fast one and unfortunately it means it's difficult to trust anyone.

I've used ebay a lot over the last 20 years but now I almost exclusively use these forums and Facebook Marketplace. Never had an issue once on either.

I've got 3000+ feedback on ebay but I think I've sold 2 items so far this year.

The company is horrible. Horrific customer service. Full of scammers. And costs a lot of money to sell.

another thing ive started doing is collection only cash on collection. I find that way they cant be bothered to drive all the way back to mine again to return an item to rip me off

All part of 'doing business'...Take it with a smile and shrug it off, or get out of the business.

Not everyone treats selling a few items you no longer need on eBay as 'business' though. I certainly don't.
I also don't bother with eBay anymore, due to the issues reported in this thread. I think the last thing I sold on eBay was a Mac a few years ago. My default now is simply to ask if family/ friends want things (normally for free). I've recently got rid of a 40 inch tv and a high-sleeper bed to relatives.

I really CBA with wondering if an item I sell in complete good faith will end up biting me in the arse. It's simply not worth the aggro imo.

I sold a watch on eBy a few weeks back. No payment or communication for a week from the buyer until I said I was reporting them for non payment. They then said they'd been in hospital for a week with Covid-19. Didn't argue the fact and asked them politely to pay and i would post them the watch straight away..........have had nothing back from them since. Hate the fact you can't leave negative feedback for non payers. Had 2 more of my watches up for sale on eBay but I've just removed them as I can't be bothered with the hassle any more.

the wife sells on eBay , some of the absolute lunacy you encounter is unreal , however , that is very much the minority as in a lot of things , the majority are fine , but boy does it take some restraint not to go and visit some people , I am sure they are that thick they forget that you have their address .........

Not everyone treats selling a few items you no longer need on eBay as 'business' though. I certainly don't.
I also don't bother with eBay anymore, due to the issues reported in this thread. I think the last thing I sold on eBay was a Mac a few years ago. My default now is simply to ask if family/ friends want things (normally for free). I've recently got rid of a 40 inch tv and a high-sleeper bed to relatives.

I really CBA with wondering if an item I sell in complete good faith will end up biting me in the arse. It's simply not worth the aggro imo.
Oh don’t get me wrong I agree. But if anyone wants some money for it then it is “business”. It’s a sale.

I’m the same. I have two printers to get rid off. I will take them to the charity shop and let them have the proceeds. I CBA as well.

I used to sell on Amazon, but it got to be too much hassle. The final straw was a guy who bought a sealed 4K film from me, but didn't realise he hadn't got a 4K player until after he had opened the case. He demanded a full refund.

There are those that do abuse eBay and I have had a few.

A Spanish guy bid last minute on an amp I was selling. Bid nearly £300 over the odds and then with shipping charges on top decided it was too much.

Normal if the top bid is from oversea's I warn them of the eBay high shipping, but I didn't get a chance this time as he bid 30sec's before the end time.

Anyway, he claimed that the amp should come double boxed with the original boxes, Like most people I had the single original box it came in as per stated in the advert and offered to use another box to meeting his double boxing.

He kept emailing not to raise a dispute as it was. my fault. He totally didn't care that I would have to pay fees unless I won the dispute and didn't offer compensation.

As you can imagine I won the dispute and yes it took ages. He then started sending abusive emails and eBay banned him.

Otherwise
1) It's just those people retracting bids which I guess is about testing how high other people are thinking of paying.
2) Sending an email offering an extra £20 to sell instantly

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom