I pad pro 12.9 generation 3 completely dead and will not switch on

blu disc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have A 3rd generation I pad pro 12.9 I bought it last January from o2 online and pay for it each month including data. It has been an excellent device and never skipped a beat, I used it Monday evening and left it besides my bed, on Wednesday evening I tried to turn it on and nothing. I thought it must be flat so I charged it all night, next morning still nothing so I connected the power lead from my MacBook Pro for a couple of hours and still nothing. I tried a google search and did the volume up/down and it doesn't switch on. I am going to be near an apple store tomorrow so I will take it in and hope for the best. Do you think I have a case with an warranty as its 13 months old or am I missing something and its not defective its just me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Hi
I have A 3rd generation I pad pro 12.9 I bought it last January from o2 online and pay for it each month including data. It has been an excellent device and never skipped a beat, I used it Monday evening and left it besides my bed, on Wednesday evening I tried to turn it on and nothing. I thought it must be flat so I charged it all night, next morning still nothing so I connected the power lead from my MacBook Pro for a couple of hours and still nothing. I tried a google search and did the volume up/down and it doesn't switch on. I am going to be near an apple store tomorrow so I will take it in and hope for the best. Do you think I have a case with an warranty as its 13 months old or am I missing something and its not defective its just me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Have you tried connecting it up to iTunes on a PC/Mac & see if it appears?

Took it into apple they tried everything and said it’s totally shot. They offered me £609 to get a new one and I said that’s not going to happen. They were good enough to e mail me a report saying what’s wrong and no obvious signs of damage. I went into o2 and I have said under consumer law this device should not have gone when it’s only 13 months old. They have sent it off to their repairs department and now I’m just waiting to see the outcome.

That's a bummer.
I really thought Apple would just have replaced it there and then.
Hopefully O2 will do the right thing.

Just wondering have you used a 3rd party USB C cable with it or only ever the stock USB C cable?

I tried the USBC that I have from my MacBook Pro, and apple plugged it in at the Genius Bar with their cable but still nothing, all I can hope is o2 come good or I have an expensive brick. apple said that if I had bought it from them they would have replaced it under consumer law, but can't as the only company that can do this is the original seller.

Heard back from O2 repair and no joy £180 repair. I have spoken to a really helpful person at O2 who has offered a swap for a re conditioned unit with 3 months warranty. Very happy and thank you to this person at O2, I do have 11 lines with them and have been a customer for 15 years I did expect something.

I think I dodged a bullet here, I will not renew my 5 x I pad contracts for me and the kids with O2 or any other network I think the way forward is to buy them from apple and add Apple care even though my I pad was well cared for and not abused in any way. Then shop around for a network for the data. I might do the same for my phone contracts and that way I won’t be arguing anymore for some form of consumer law as this I pad is only just out of warranty and Apples report shows the I pad was well cared for.

I tried the USBC that I have from my MacBook Pro, and apple plugged it in at the Genius Bar with their cable but still nothing, all I can hope is o2 come good or I have an expensive brick. apple said that if I had bought it from them they would have replaced it under consumer law, but can't as the only company that can do this is the original seller.
I meant have you ever previously used a 3rd party USB C cable with that iPad or only the official Apple cables?
Many cheap USB C cables are non-compliant and unlike other USB A/mini/micro connectors, dodgy USB C cables can fry the port and damage your equipment.

Oh I see, no only ever used the original one that came with it or my MacBook Pro USBC as it has a longer cable. I never get 3rd party cables/plugs etc as I worry it will cause damage or fire risks.

Oh I see, no only ever used the original one that came with it or my MacBook Pro USBC as it has a longer cable. I never get 3rd party cables/plugs etc as I worry it will cause damage or fire risks.
Hmmm I wonder what the fault is then. Did the report say what the actual fault is?

No the Genius Bar guy said I will leave it on charge but this did nothing then he connected it to a laptop to see if would show on I tunes but he said no it has no response, checked it over removed SIM tray and said it’s not got signs of water damage and it’s in good condition. He said without taking it apart I can’t tell and I’ve never seen this before on one of these i pads.

Did the Genius Bar guy try to boot it into 'Recovery Mode' as well?

Ah damn. I think that's the last thing other than getting a repair.
Paying the £180 might (just) be worth it to avoid keeping an expensive brick. Selling for parts will be a no-go as the price difference between working and non-working is so much, you're better off repairing and then selling.

I'm taking O2's offer of a like for like refurbished I pad that comes with 3 months warranty. It was a battle to get this but at least I'm not stuck with an expensive brick. Its a lesson though I won't be buying an I pad on contract from a network again, I will have to buy from apple and add apple care its expensive but I won't be going through this again its been a pain.

I wouldn't roll over on this. You should refer to the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Goods must be fit for purpose and last a "reasonable" amount of time.

Clearly, a £1k+ product that fails to work after just 13 months has not lasted a reasonable amount of time!

I must say I'm surprised at Apple's decision on this.
I really thought regardless of where it was bought, they would just have given you a like for like replacement especially given it's pristine and undamaged condition.
They're usually known for their exemplary service, guess you got a jobsworth on a bad day.

I was very surprised at Apple as I have only ever had excellent customer services except when my sons beats headphones failed just after the one year warranty they wanted £200 to replace them and I brought up consumer law and within 10 minutes I had them booked in and they gave me a new pair. O2 wouldn't budge and said they can put me through to the department that deals with situations like consumer law but they were not having any of it. The lady I spoke to eventually offered me the refurbished I pad deal and I said yes as I don't think there was another option, I said I didn't expect it to be replaced with a new one. I have learned a lesson here and when 2 of my kids I pads are up for renewal this year I will not be renewing with O2 as I had to threaten to leave for them to back down.
This was also a shock as O2 customer services is also very good. I think the real problem for me was I never had any issues with any of my apple devices before and then this happened and after the situation with the beats I thought that apple would come on side.

Just on the Apple Care for future purchases, you can buy that for Apple Products no matter which shop you bought it from, not just from the Apple store.
You buy it using the device or online using the serial number to buy Apple Care. You can even bring your receipt to show them the purchase date if necessary.
1583515208241.png

Thats great thanks I will definitely get this next time, I never bothered before as all my devices over the last 10 years have never failed me, perhaps I was just lucky I suppose it had to happen sooner or later.

I must say I'm surprised at Apple's decision on this.
I really thought regardless of where it was bought, they would just have given you a like for like replacement especially given it's pristine and undamaged condition.
They're usually known for their exemplary service, guess you got a jobsworth on a bad day.
This is quite normal now for Apple and part of the Consumer Rights.

Alternative is buy from John Lewis or CEX as they give a 2 year warranty.
I had it with an iPhone X which had a cellular connection issue. Took it to Apple and it was over 12 months old. It They gave me the report and said to get intouch with Argos which is where it was purchased originally. They did say if purchased from Apple they most likely would of swapped out.

@blu disc do you insurance at home that would cover this?

Carl

Daft question but did you check for fluff in the charging port? I had one iPad that had a tiny bit that was otherwise not visible but enough to cause the connector not to push in fully even though it seemed to do. It was also dead as a dodo before but I had to use a needle to remove it and after that it started to charge correctly.

I would also push for a repair under the CRA 2015. Did you buy it on a particular contract as there have been a number of recent cases where fit for purpose includes the duration of the contract.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom