If I have Freesat do I need Freeview?

badbob

Ex Member
Reaction score
Does Freesat £150 option include all channels from Freeview, so I would have no need for freeview?

There are some channels on Freeview that arent currently on Freesat, they are: The Hits, TMF, Dave, Virgin1, Five, Fiver, Five US. I think theres a couple of other minor ones as well.

But there are channels on Freesat that arent on Freeview.

The Channel 5 channels are coming to Freesat soon.

There are some channels on Freeview that arent currently on Freesat, they are: The Hits, TMF, Dave, Virgin1, Five, Fiver, Five US. I think theres a couple of other minor ones as well.

But there are channels on Freesat that arent on Freeview.

The Channel 5 channels are coming to Freesat soon.

why not have a combined freesat/freeview box which can put both freeview and freesat channels on the same channel list, choosing the highest bandwidth version where the channel is on both platforms?

Do we know if/when the "missing" channels are planning on moving across? I know the five empire is planning to, what about TMF, the hits, dave and virgin 1?

dave

With FV boxes from about £15 - why not have both?

Getting freeview will require a new aerial and downleads. My TV has internal freeview, but if I'm getting Freesat...
Downstairs has a Bush freeview which is pretty rubbish. Also for the parents I think one box solution is easier to use.

Do we know if/when the "missing" channels are planning on moving across? I know the five empire is planning to, what about TMF, the hits, dave and virgin 1?

dave

They may never as they are part of SKY's subscription packages and derive income from that status, remove that and not only will they lose cash but have to spend more on broadcast rights for FTA broadcasting and attempt to get capacity on 2D which has the smaller footprint.

Last edited:
They may never as they are part of SKY's subscription packages and derive income from that status, remove that and not only will they lose cash but have to spend more on broadcast rights for FTA broadcasting and attempt to get capacity on 2D which has the smaller footprint.

but channels are on freeview where they don't get subscription revenue, just ad revenue. so why wouldn't they show on freesat?

dave

but channels are on freeview where they don't get subscription revenue, just ad revenue. so why wouldn't they show on freesat?

dave
Because it costs channels to be on Freesat and given that current audiences are very small, the lesser Freeview channels will have to put a lot of thought into paying that money against the number of people that can see them on Freeview too (most people, like me, will have both...)

dave

I think you are a little confused over what Freesat actually is:)

Freesat is a proprietary STB with it's own EPG and Interactive functions, the channels it can pick up are the same ones a SKY box or any generic STB can pick up. The BBC channels you watch on Freesat are the same ones you watch on a SKY box, there are not two separate broadcasts one for SKY users and one for Freesat users.
There is a short term exception as part of the CH4 family are duplicating their service by agreement with SKY but they were not receiving money from SKY anyway.

So take Virgin1 as an example, it is tied into a long term deal to be exclusive on satellite within a SKY pay package, VM get cash for this deal so while the contract exists that can not be a FTA channel which is the only type of channel a Freesat box can handle.

As mentioned previously broadcasting in the clear on satellite also means spending a lot more cash for rights to existing and new shows, Freeview is restricted to the UK by it's broadcast range while satellite covers dozens of countries even 2D (used by BBC and ITV etc) overspills western Europe.

So a PAY channel that goes from PAY to FTA on satellite not only loses subscription revenues but their costs increase and given then Dsat penetration of SKY already there is no huge increase in viewers either.

Well, I knew the first bit but not the second :)

dave

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom