If I were building my hifi from scratch

ctilly

Standard Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a bit of nice kit and am happy with it but if I were starting out today I’d go simpler and cheaper. All I really need:

a good amp (Arcam SA10, $800 USD)
a good turntable (Rega P1, $475 USD)
good bookshelf speakers (???, $500 USD)
any CD player (Samsung DVD/CD, $50 USD)
any cables (~$10 USD each)

I should note a few important aspects of my recommendation:
1) while I have records, CDs (red book), and streaming services (Apple music) listening to records is by far my favorite medium
2) My system is in a small living room

I should also note this system provides the TV audio as well.

Hi @ctilly , I'm struggling to understand what your actual question is: have you decided to purchase the components you've listed above but want advice on speakers, or are you asking for recommendations against any of those components?

With your suggested budget I'd say the Rega P1 is a good bet, but there are a number of other amps at or within the Arcam's price bracket that would be worth checking out (Rega Brio or Audiolab 6000A spring to mind). What are the bits of your current kit? wouldn't it be worth incorporating some of that, even if you are downsizing (if that's what you're trying to do)? Are you also considering used?

As this is predominately a UK forum I am not sure on prices in the US but my first shot would be to put together a Rega core system -

Up the quality of the main source to a Rega Planar 3
Add a Rega Brio as an amp, has a good phono stage
Rega RX1 speakers
Then stay as you are for CD and cables.

Hope this helps.

I like the rega core idea and although I haven’t heard it, sounds like a solid bet.

I’m new to hifi so really just sharing that in hindsight I wouldn’t have spent $$$ on a high end CD player or cables - I don’t see the joy in them. And in the states the typical Magnolia sound rooms are cavernous, so I suspect many buy more speaker than is practical for a typical home. Hence the recommendation for bookshelf speakers.

If you post a diagram of your room with it's dimensions it would make speaker recommendations easier. As for CD players then a good one will certainly make a difference over an entry level unit.

For a similar USA forum, go to -

AVS Forums - USA -

I'm not sure what your question is. Are you asking our opinion of the system? Are you asking for alternatives?

Everything looks good, but generally very broadly, Speakers are usually Twice the cost of the Amp, though that is not a hard and fast rule.

The ARCAM SA10 is probably a good quality amp, but it is not very good value.

But that is a decision for you to make.

You have budgeted $800 (US Dollars we assume) for the Amp and ~$500 for Speaker for a total of $1300. Most, as a starting point would break that down as $433 for the Amp and $866 per pair for Speaker. But again, that is a starting point, not a hard and fast rule.

For simplicity, let's say - about $500 and about $800.

Just throwing out some random alternatives -

Denon DRA-800 Stereo Receiver, 100w/ch, DAC, HDMI In - $500 -

Yamaha RN803 Network Receiver, 100w/ch, DAC, Network Streaming, Room EQ, Full Bass Management, ... - $750 -

Yamaha AS-501 Integrated Amp, 85w/ch, DAC, Phono-In, Sub out - $550 -

Yamaha AS-701 Integrated Amp, 100w/ch, DAC - $800 -

Going a bit higher in price -

Yamaha AS801 Integrated Amp, 100w/ch, Better DAC w/USB-PC - $900 -

I'm not trying to claim that any of these Amps are better than the Arcam SA10, just trying to illustrate the range of possibilities.

As a compact alternative to the Arcam SA10, others have suggested the REGA Brio, which has the same power as the SA10 -

What you have to do first and foremost is ask yourself in detail what you want the Amp to do? Yes, play speakers, but the question/answer has to be in more refined detail than that.

For example, the Yamaha RN803 has Network Streaming built in, 100w/ch, but also Room-EQ and Full Bass Management for both Front and Sub speakers.

The Rega Brio is going to be a bit more basic in terms of features.

The Arcam SA10 is going to be in between with 50w/ch and a DAC.

Though I did find a B-Stock Arcam SA10 for $650 -

As to speakers, that is a very individual thing. Certainly $500 will get a decent pair -

The New (somewhat new) Klipsch RP-Series hit a pretty high standard. The Horns are re-designed and Rubberize so that it takes away a lot of the shoutiness associated with Lower Cost Klipsch Speakers. Check on-line and you will find many positive reviews of the Klipsch RP. Also the Klipsch are very efficient so they don't take a lot of power to drive them.

If you want something with a smoother more mellow sound, then the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 are getting very good reviews -

Again, check YouTube among other sources for Reviews.

If you can consider Floorstanding, here is an absolute bargain on Wharfedale 240 (2x6.5") Floorstanding speakers, virtually Half-Price -

The New Monitor Audio Bronze 100 (8") might be worth a look. These are just released, and the 8" bass driver should give solid bass and impact to both movies and music -

The previous Bronze Series were pretty popular.

Again, just trying to give you a sense of the Range of Possibilities.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Regarding Turntables, the most often recommended are Project and Rega, though in the USA, Music Hall are also worth a look.

Rega makes a Power Pack or Plus version of their Turntables, if at all possible, get that version as it comes with a Cartridge Upgrade.

In the roughly $500 range, the Project Carbon Debut DC with Ortofon RED cartridge hits a very high standard for the money -

It does come in an assortment of colors are well -

The Cartridge alone on the Carbon Debut DC is $100 so that is a considerable cartridge.

The Carbon ESPRIT model is an advanced version for just a bit more.

Here is the REGA Planar 1 and the Planar 1 PLUS -

Though no denying the quality of Rega, I'm not overly enthusiastic about the Tonearm on the lower end Regas, but that's just me.

For MUSIC HALL - Probably the Music Hall 2.3 comes closest to your budget -

Trimming the cost back a bit, the Music Hall 1.3 is still decent -

If you can take a step up in terms of cost, here are a couple more -

Music Hall Classic - $599 -

Music Hall 3.3 w/Ortofon Red - $699 -

In a Sub-$1000 Turntable, the Music Hall 3.3 would probably top my list. Or the Project ESPRIT.

Now there are always alternatives depending on your Taste, your Needs, and your Budget -

This one appeals to me because it is an Auto-Start/Auto-Stop turntable with a decent tonearm.

There is a version of this for about $425 that has the Ortofom 2M Red cartridge upgrade.

Just a range of possibilities.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Thanks, Wiz! That’s a lot to consider but great breadth. Hope others will benefit from this as well.

cheers!

Thanks, Wiz! That’s a lot to consider but great breadth. Hope others will benefit from this as well.

cheers!

I'm inclined to say -

You can't get what you need until you know what you need.

By that I mean really understanding what you want the system to do will guide you toward products that do those things.

The suggested amps have a wider range of features -

- High-Power/Lower-Power
- Tone Controls/No Tone Controls
- Network Streaming
- Bluetooth
- Phono In (MM)
- Sub Out
- Full Bass Management (Front and Sub)
- Room EQ
- DAC - Optical, Coaxial, USB-Media, and in some USB-PC for a direct connect to a computer.
- FM or AM/FM or in the UK DAB/DAB+

What from this list do you want and/or need?

You can trim back a bit on the turntable, and add more to Amp or Speakers, or you can trim back on the Amp and add the difference to the Turntable or the Speakers.

Really weigh were your priorities are and what you need.

Now, let's say you want all the feature of the Yamaha RN803, but you don't need Room-EQ. Don't not buy the amp simply because it has a feature you don't need. If it otherwise serves your need, then just forget that one feature.

If you have any questions about any of the amps, ask and I assume one one will have opinions and information about it.

The lowest I would go in a turntable is probably the Audio Technica AT-LP140X ($399)

However, if you really want to re-assess your priorities then the much lower cost Audio Techinica LP-120USB ($250) is still a decent turntable. (Black or Silver)

More in the Midrange , either the Project Debut Carbon DC w/2M Red ($450) or the Project Debut Carbon Esprit w/2M Red ($599) are very good -

These two above come with a pretty considerable Cartridge upgrade.

I like the general look of the Music Hall 2.3 ($499) which does come with a nice Music Hall Cartridge -

" ...preinstalled Music Hall Spirit MM cartridge (a $100 value specially built by the experts at Audio Technica)..."

As to Rega, you have to get up to the Planar 3 to get the quality of tonearm I'm looking for. Though again, Rega hit a pretty high standard all round. That's for you to decide.

As to speakers, in your general budget area, probably the -

Klipsch RP-600M (6.5") - $629/pair -

Monitor Audio Bronze 100 (8") - $595/pair -

For speakers, I'm somewhat trying to conform to roughly the range you said you wanted to be in.

Again, really think about the feature and quality you want. Think about the things you need the Amp to do. The more you understand what you want and need, the more likely you are to find equipment that delivers that.

If you want to check out any of the Yamaha Amps/Receiver, you can view them here -

I can't fault the ARCAM SA10, good amp, but seems a bit short on features, though it does have a DAC. But No Tone Controls, for myself, that is something of a deal breaker.

Maximum value would be the Yamaha AS501 ($550), if you want to scale down on the amp and put money elsewhere, this would be a good consideration

The Yamaha AS701 ($800) is a high feature high quality amp, and a nice choice if you don't need a USB-PC DAC.

The Yamaha AS801 ($900), this is the Top of the Yamaha Consumer line of Amp, To jump one model above this one, takes you to about THREE TIMES the money. This has a USB-PC for a direct connect to a computer, if that matters to you. If not, the AS701 has essentially the same 100w/ch Amps.

However, the Yamaha RN803 Network Receiver ($750) is very different. It is packed to the walls with features -

To me the most notable features are Network Streaming and Full Bass Management. The Full Bass Management would be necessary if you ever hope to add Subwoofer(s) to the system.

The only thing I haven't addressed is the CD PLAYER. That is difficult, and a general CD Player is roughly $300. However, you suggested a DVD Player. If you can get one that has a true HiFi DAC, then that would be fine. In fact, I use a Harmon Kardon Universal DVD Player as my CD Player. Though mine retailed for $450 and I paid about $150 on close-out.

There is a site call - Accessories4Less - that sells B-Stock, which means you can get some real bargains there. Definitely worth checking out their site.

Again, just about any DVD Player with a decent DAC will do.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Your original system was suggested as -

a good amp (Arcam SA10, $800 USD)
a good turntable (Rega P1, $475 USD)
good bookshelf speakers (???, $500 USD)
any CD player (Samsung DVD/CD, $50 USD)
any cables (~$10 USD each)

For the moment, I'll ignore the CD Player and the Cables.

The total is $1775, let's call it $1800.

Now we put together a system and see how it works out.

$400 = Audio Technica LP-140X
$550 = Yamaha AS 501 (85w/ch)
$630 = Klipsch RP600 (pair)
------------------------------------
$1580 = Total

$450 = Project Debut Carbon DC (2M Red)
$750 = Yamaha RN803 Network Receiver
$600 = Monitor Audio Bronze 100 (Pair)
-----------------------------------
$1800 = Total (+$30 for Klipsch)

$450 = Project Debut Carbon DC (2M Red)
$800 = Arcan SA10 Amp (same price as Yamaha AS701)
$600 = Monitor Audio Bronze 100 (Pair)
-----------------------------------
$1850 = Total (+$30 for Klipsch)

I did this just to help you see how things were shaping up. Give you some idea of the system cost.

Of course, you are free to make adjustments based on your own priorities. But I think it helps to be able to see the entire system broken down.

For cables and speaker wire, you really don't need more than this. I have several of their cable, very satisfied with the quality.

KabelDirekt - Amazon-USA -

Steve/Bluewizard

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom