Answered If it doesn't say 'HDR' ON the box, is it definitely not HDR IN the box?

There's been a few fake 4K Blu-rays for sure but the good ones far outweigh the bad and it's been an amazing year for disc fans.
You are mixing up different things. When you say "fake" 4k Blu Rays that usually means that it is not native 4k sourced. But the "good ones" are more than likely to be "fake" 4k.

I'm with you Pimms. I'm not going to spend the best part of £20 (or more in some circumstances) on a disc which says its "4K" but it is really only a 2K upscale, no matter how good the upscale is. In my opinion this is false advertising!
This is true.
I know there will be members who will come on here and try to shoot me down in flames, but I will not change my mind, I've been "done" too many times and if the studios want my money they have to deliver the goods.

I use the site you have used to find out if its real or fake 4K, in conjunction with reviews of the discs on the forums, before I purchase any "4K" discs.
That means you are missing out on a lot of wonderful "HDR" discs. Especially when you consider that even if you have a 55" TV then without HDR and WGC you still won't see that much of a difference against a well produced 2k Blu Ray unless you sit almost under the screen.

This has happened for every new format and that the new format discs have cost so much more. Well this time, the studios ain't gonna get my money unless it's a true 4K disc, and even then I shall wait until the discs come down in price a little.
If you think the discs are expensive now? Try asking the studio to redo many of the special effects in 4k and then having to create a brand new 4K digital intermediate.
Instead what they actually do is upscale using tech way beyond your average TV upscaler to get the best possible upscale from an existing 2k DI. There are some films for which a 4k DI is created if one doesn't exist. One would "assume" that it made financial sense in those cases especially for older or classic films.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with 4K Media is they don't tell you if any of them are more then 2K resolution, but not quite 4K. The Marian is somewhere in between 2K and 4K (for example) and that makes the 4K version worth it. I've compared the 4K/Dolby Vision with the blu-ray and the difference is very noticeable. Also, Ready Player One in 4k/Dolby Vision is much nicer then 4K/SDR.

If a 4K movie is an upscale, you will get a clearer picture with 4k then you will with HD. If you don't, then you have a rather poor UHD TV that doesn't do 4K well enough. Being clearer has nothing to do with HDR vs. SDR.

If a 4K movie is an upscale, you will get a clearer picture with 4k then you will with HD. If you don't, then you have a rather poor UHD TV that doesn't do 4K well enough. Being clearer has nothing to do with HDR vs. SDR.
It's very much to do with HDR vs SDR and basic optics. Although the debate has apparently opened again, in general it is not possible to see proper 4k SDR resolution on a smaller TV. Depending on the film, 55" might work as long as you are close enough. That's where HDR comes in. Resolution is not the most important thing when it comes to picture quality. Resolution is no.4 (I can never find that ISF list anymore), contrast and colour rank above it which is why HDR (contrast) and WCG (colour) are so important. They are the only difference that you can see a clearly on any size of set. If you have a large set then fine, if it's smaller than 55" then you are seeing something that isn't really possible to be seen as far as I understand it. I am of course prepared to be shown evidence to the contrary.

I have 2 UHD TVs. One is 55" and the other is 43". The 43" was free from Sky. The 43" is in the bedroom and fairly close to the bed. The 55" is in the living room. Yes, you can see a difference. I don't know how far away we are from the TV. But with 4K/SDR, I can see a clearer picture even if the resolution isn't that noticeable. With HDR, I can see more of a difference (obviously).

While HD can be pretty good, there are still times I can see things that I would not see as easily in UHD (SDR or HDR) like color banding or some lack of resolution where it's visible.

You own ONE 4k disc and haven't bothered or cared to read about how and why many discs are 2k upscales and yet you are upset? The OP asked a perfectly reasonable question which has been answered. The rest is just fud!

This is AVForums not Curries.

I have one disk because the TV and Player are not mine, the disk was given to me as it included the Bluray that I could view. Hence I've not purchased others. I agree my comments in brackets could be construed as a little ambiguous.

I only ventured into the forum as there was a film I was interested in then happened upon this thread. When someone posts a link to a site that mentions some are' fake', shoot them, not me. I'm not in a position to purchase loads of 4K equipment and media hence I hadn't investigated all the in's and outs.

Next time I shall take my curiosity and innocent observations else where so I don't make the mistake of inconveniencing you with my ramblings.

Good day sir.

I have one disk because the TV and Player are not mine, the disk was given to me as it included the Bluray that I could view. Hence I've not purchased others. I agree my comments in brackets could be construed as a little ambiguous.

I only ventured into the forum as there was a film I was interested in then happened upon this thread. When someone posts a link to a site that mentions some are' fake', shoot them, not me. I'm not in a position to purchase loads of 4K equipment and media hence I hadn't investigated all the in's and outs.

Next time I shall take my curiosity and innocent observations else where so I don't make the mistake of inconveniencing you with my ramblings.

Good day sir.
If you are new to a particular forum then as I'm sure you know, you can sometimes get caught in the middle of a subject with history. This is one of those. You were not making observations as much as expressing your opinion which of course we all are. if your opinion is misinformed it is likely to get corrected, sometimes maybe a little harshly so my apologies if you felt that was the case.

Good day sir.

Pimms, please do not leave the forums, there is a wealth of information that you learn on here. Some information can get a little technical at times and there are lots of opinions given. However, if ever you have a problem or need help with something, if you post what the problem is ,9 times out 10 you will have someone who has had the same problem and will give the benefit of how they solved it. I have learned a lot over the years from the forums.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom