Imposition of Martial Law

If they are just driving whether with good reason or not .. as long as there journey does not end with a relocation , with a long stay .. you can be isolating via the car .. the real problem is too many people on foot having close contact with others on foot .
One if the reasons not to use your car is also the chance of people putting a greater load on the NHS with collisions etc.
In my opinion as others have said I see nothing wrong with getting in the car driving to a remote spot for a walk and then straight home,but I wouldn’t do it just for the reason above.

1585937788321.jpeg

One if the reasons not to use your car is also the chance of people putting a greater load on the NHS with collisions etc.
In my opinion as others have said I see nothing wrong with getting in the car driving to a remote spot for a walk and then straight home,but I wouldn’t do it just for the reason above.

On Question Time last night, that subject came up, pretty sure it was Matt Hancock that said driving somewhere in your car to walk the dog or whatever was acceptable, so long as you didn’t come into contact with anyone else.

You’d like to think the health secretary would know the rules :D

Or maybe it’s a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

Maybe they deliberately leave it vague as most people will assume you can’t do it, whereas if you say they can, we all know that when the weather is nice everyone will be doing it.

1585940629012.png

My brother lives and works in Manila, he says that each household has to nominate one person that will do the shopping. All others are strictly not allowed to leave the house, unless a ‘key worker’.

Luckily for him and his partner, they moved into a large house from their apartment a couple of months before this kicked off, life isn’t too onerous. The maid isn't allowed to visit, but the pool boy is, as they are seen as essential workers - keeping swimming pools maintained stops the spread of several other nasty diseases.

He’s able to work from home, as are most of his employees - so they’re the lucky ones. He’s a good boss too, he’s still paying his maid, despite her being unable to work.

I get the feeling the forthcoming bank holiday will make or break this , I am fully expecting to see news reports of beaches busy etc , if the weather is ok of course , which it usually isn't on a bank holiday , maybe the government should cancel them until this Is finished , should confuse the majority of the idiots into staying at home , maybe ......

Or maybe it’s a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

More like neither the right hand or left hand understands the law. The first, well publicised arrest and conviction for not adhering to the lockdown has backfired spectacularly.

It turns out the police don't have the powers some of them thought they had, the conviction has been quashed and the police have had to apologise.

More like neither the right hand or left hand understands the law. The first, well publicised arrest and conviction for not adhering to the lockdown has backfired spectacularly.

It turns out the police don't have the powers some of them thought they had, the conviction has been quashed and the police have had to apologise.

Hmm that is not quite what that article states ;) Yes the police used the wrong law for this particularly unhelpful person, but it's not as clear cut as you make it out to be.

Why shouldn't there be more traffic on the roads? My wife spent the last week putting arrangements in place for a limited number of employees to work safely at the business, so a handful have returned to work safely. I would imagine that's been happening all over.

I'm off out for a run later... It'll be interesting to see if it's much busier than last week.

I'm not sure what people think troops are going to do. If they think they're going to start executing chavs for being chavs they're sorely mistaken.

The traffic around here is basically non existent.
The odd delivery van, car, cyclist.
On my 30 min run I saw a couple of cars, same amount of cars and no people walking about its dead.
Whilst driving to a call out from Harrogate to Halifax there was light traffic.
Some of these vehicles seemed to be driven by the elderly, really slowly, much to my annoyance.😂

Personally I've no idea why these people are out, shopping most likely, with the vans likely to be working.

So is so apt now.

Hmm that is not quite what that article states ;) Yes the police used the wrong law for this particularly unhelpful person, but it's not as clear cut as you make it out to be.

It's exactly what the article states.

Schedule 21 creates an offence of “failing without reasonable excuse to comply with any direction, reasonable instruction, requirement or restriction” imposed as part of the act.

But the law can only apply to “potentially infectious persons” and is separate to the newer Health Protection Regulations that allow police to enforce the UK lockdown.

Matthew Scott, a criminal barrister at Pump Court Chambers, told The Independent that both the charge and court procedure may have been unlawful.

“I do not understand how they can say that she has committed an offence under the Coronavirus Act because that act doesn’t require somebody to give their details to a police officer, and doesn’t require them to state the purpose of their journey,” he added.

Deputy Chief Constable Adrian Hanstock said: “There will be understandable concern that our interpretation of this new legislation has resulted in an ineffective prosecution.

“Regardless, we fully accept that this shouldn’t have happened and we apologise. It is highly unusual that a case can pass through a number of controls in the criminal justice process and fail in this way.”

Why shouldn't there be more traffic on the roads? My wife spent the last week putting arrangements in place for a limited number of employees to work safely at the business, so a handful have returned to work safely. I would imagine that's been happening all over.

I'm off out for a run later... It'll be interesting to see if it's much busier than last week.

I'm not sure what people think troops are going to do. If they think they're going to start executing chavs for being chavs they're sorely mistaken.

When I mentioned it earlier, I basically wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between yesterday and a random day say 2 months ago.

Which is why I thought "what are all these people out for?"

When I mentioned it earlier, I basically wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between yesterday and a random day say 2 months ago.

Which is why I thought "what are all these people out for?"
Went out earlier and it was definitely busier than this time last week, but considerably quieter than a normal Saturday morning.

Quite a few family groups walking around and more cyclists than there have been recently.

Wife has just been out with my oldest on a bike ride and she said it's completely void of traffic on our estate. Perfect for learning to ride a bike properly.

Went out earlier and it was definitely busier than this time last week, but considerably quieter than a normal Saturday morning.

Quite a few family groups walking around and more cyclists than there have been recently.

Wife has just been out with my oldest on a bike ride and she said it's completely void of traffic on our estate. Perfect for learning to ride a bike properly.

Well hopefully your findings are the wider representation!

I might dust off the old bike this weekend!

I see a lot of people, both here, and on social media in general, who really don't seem to be taking CV19 seriously - even stating that they're not going to bother self-isolating, and an effective 'I'm alright Jack' attitude.

Having heard from my wife, who will shortly be on 'the front-line' (she sort of is already, but as yet, none of her patients have developed CV19), about the measures being 'rushed' into place to help the medical staff who will most definitely be dealing with the seriously ill and dying. It seems there is a huge disconnect between what the general public feel about various measures being 'imposed' on them and how, or whether, that same general public are going to bother with them - or whether they're going to rely on 'other people' making a sacrifice, while they carry on as normal.

I cannot stress this enough - life as we know it, is no longer an option!

And I feel that if people choose to disregard, what are, at the moment, 'suggestions' on how to stay safe, both for ones own sake, and for the sake of others - then we will be 'forced' to comply with the government's instructions. Which will, most likely, involve the military being on the streets making sure only essential workers are out and about.

It's happening in other countries, and I fully expect that we will see it in the British Isles in the next month or so.
Agree, my wife is also on the front line. That all said I do think the great majority of people are now taking the pandemic more seriously now that the numbers are escalating and that its becoming more apparent that even healthy young people can catch it and die.
My main concern around this isolation process is this:
After a period 3/4 months what will happen? this cannot continue for a great many reasons, so what then? inevitably we will have to return to some form of normality. At that stage the virus will run rampant and kill who it kills, so are we not just putting off the inevitable? there wont be a cure for 12 months and the country simply wont survive for 12 months on its current basis.
So we have a choice, I think far sooner than later, face the nemesis or try to hide. Hiding will only work for so long and at some stage the nhs will have to take the hit we are all been told to avoid!

By semi-isolating we are reducing the numbers of people exposed, but not eliminating it. So keeping the load on the NHS lower than if we went around as normal. This is the theory, whether it works remains to be seen.

so 16.5 million people at risk?

im still struggling to work out the general population metrics.

does anyone know what the population metrics are from china? (so xx population, xx% catch it and xx%die from it)
I think as the virus is killing healthy people as well , its far less easy to predict.

I have know doubt that City Centres are like ghost towns but out in the suburbs It's far from, at least in my part of Bristol , and if this were replicated nationwide .. we have a problem.. just reporting from my area .. i hope we are the exception .

I get the feeling that the Government are sending a broad brush message to not go out. I think they're aiming this at less intelligent people. Simple message, easier to get.
Whereas common sense is that provided you don't come into contact with anyone (i.e. keep social distancing) and don't touch any common surfaces (toilet door handles) then what the hell is wrong with a family unit walking out to the park and having a sun bathe?

How far can a sneeze droplet travel, anybody know?

I get the feeling that the Government are sending a broad brush message to not go out. I think they're aiming this at less intelligent people. Simple message, easier to get.
Whereas common sense is that provided you don't come into contact with anyone (i.e. keep social distancing) and don't touch any common surfaces (toilet door handles) then what the hell is wrong with a family unit walking out to the park and having a sun bathe?
The sunbathing is a no no according to those in the know .. not such a prob in Fife i hear.

How far can a sneeze droplet travel, anybody know?
They were saying on the news the other day it could be up to 8 meters. That's why the wearing of masks out and about has been bought up recently.

Understand,but Vivus like us getting together that how they spread,and if one family does it or sunbathe,then everybody wants to do,and you no what a park or beach/seaside can look like on an hot day,there's just not enought room for any sensible social distancing.
And then it spreads more pressure on the NHS,more deaths,is sunbathing more important,than a life of an NHS worker ? who being on the frontline,is going to get a much higher exposure to this Vivus,than most us are ever going to face?,plus look at link below.

According to research by scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, it's not just the person next to us we should worry about: coughing spreads droplets as far as six metres, and sneezing as much as eight metres. These droplets stay suspended in the air for up to 10 minutes.

Because you will encourage others to follow your example... and before you know it you aren't social distancing any more.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom