Question In ceiling speakers

Fergalno1

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 5.2.2 setup using Dali Alteco for front height Atmos duties and I'm looking at adding two in ceiling speakers above MLS to complete 5.2.4.
Can anyone recommend a pair with a budget of £400 all in including fire hoods, I’ve initially found some monitor audio C180’s but not sure if they are he best for the money.

20£ more per speaker you would get the C265 model which has better quality drivers.

Not sure is there cheaper firehoods. You could call to AVO and ask can they give you some good package deal with C265 and hoods!

PS. Monitor Audio recommends the more expensive IDC model for Atmos, but we have members with C165 also and yet to hear anyone not being happy. These aren´t cheap, but they are 3-way design (Silver range technology).

You can read more here: Getting started with Dolby Atmos | Blog | Monitor Audio

I currently have a 5.2.2 setup using Dali Alteco for front height Atmos duties and I'm looking at adding two in ceiling speakers above MLS to complete 5.2.4.
Can anyone recommend a pair with a budget of £400 all in including fire hoods, I’ve initially found some monitor audio C180’s but not sure if they are he best for the money.
I would recommend the Monitor Audio CS180. Only 2 way but have an excellent spec and sound fantastic, and they can go loud if required !!

20£ more per speaker you would get the C265 model which has better quality drivers.

Not sure is there cheaper firehoods. You could call to AVO and ask can they give you some good package deal with C265 and hoods!

PS. Monitor Audio recommends the more expensive IDC model for Atmos, but we have members with C165 also and yet to hear anyone not being happy. These aren´t cheap, but they are 3-way design (Silver range technology).

You can read more here: Getting started with Dolby Atmos | Blog | Monitor Audio

I have been looking around at the monitor audio speakers and I’ve came across the controlled performance range that do not require a fire hood with them being an sealed unit, given that they are sealed It will also give better sound over the non sealed units.
The two I’m considering are the Monitor Audio CP-CT260 and the bigger brother CP-CT380 which is a better driver, double the power and better frequency response, richer sounds have gave me a bit of discount on the CP-CT380 taking them down to £530 for two.

I have been looking around at the monitor audio speakers and I’ve came across the controlled performance range that do not require a fire hood with them being an sealed unit, given that they are sealed It will also give better sound over the non sealed units.
The two I’m considering are the Monitor Audio CP-CT260 and the bigger brother CP-CT380 which is a better driver, double the power and better frequency response, richer sounds have gave me a bit of discount on the CP-CT380 taking them down to £530 for two.
Now your talking !! I have 4no C380-IDC speakers for Atmos. Stunning performance from my Marantz SR7012. The advise for surround and Atmos speakers has been so wrong over the last few years.
You need the best you can afford, its not just about "bangs and crashes" anymore !! The surrounds and Atmos speakers should be as close to equal to the front end as possible.

Hi guys. Sorry to hijack this but also considering the same. I have KEF R100's FL+R and RL+R plus the KEF R200C. I am still yet to decide on a subwoofer but have no idea about ceiling speakers but have been looking at some of these suggestions. I may only go for 5.1.2 and have them slightly ahead of my seating position. Keen to hear more thoughts about the recommendations above

I went Monitor Audio C265-IDC for my 5.1.2 setup. As others have said - the IDC units and 3 way design are very appealing for this use case.

My installer provided them to me at a very competitive price when bundled with other work I'd had done previously including hoods and cables. I self installed - wasn't too difficult!

Super satisfied with the result and sound!

Hi guys. Sorry to hijack this but also considering the same. I have KEF R100's FL+R and RL+R plus the KEF R200C. I am still yet to decide on a subwoofer but have no idea about ceiling speakers but have been looking at some of these suggestions. I may only go for 5.1.2 and have them slightly ahead of my seating position. Keen to hear more thoughts about the recommendations above

You could stick with KEF in-ceiling speakers, they are certainly good as they master the coaxial drivers with UniQ driver technology so you really can´t go wrong and as a plus you would have then fully matching system.

If you only want to spend low bucks then pick the exclusive ER model which should be fine for smaller room, 199£/pair.

Or if you want something better then the QR range which costs twice as much. Better drivers and higher power handling.

For the subwoofer you need to state your budget and room size with possible openings, use (music/movies %), subwoofer size/finish etc.

This is great. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and sorry to others for hijacking. Just having the same dilemma myself!

How much work would the .2 be doing? Trying to understand if it's worth spending another £3-500 on ceiling speakers or whether a £200 pair will be ample.

With regards to sub I'm happy up to £600. Room is 3.3*5m and purely movies. Maybe occasionally music but I have a dedicated Naim system in the house so no need really. Happy to take recommendations

This is great. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and sorry to others for hijacking. Just having the same dilemma myself!

How much work would the .2 be doing? Trying to understand if it's worth spending another £3-500 on ceiling speakers or whether a £200 pair will be ample.

With regards to sub I'm happy up to £600. Room is 3.3*5m and purely movies. Maybe occasionally music but I have a dedicated Naim system in the house so no need really. Happy to take recommendations

Yeah tough choice with the ceiling speakers. There usually isn´t much comparison information either. 12 reviews on RS site for the ER model. Kef doesn´t really make poor stuff and this is some special model so it could be fine if you don´t want to spend 400£ for effect channels. Of course you get them working with most material if you use the upmixers in your receiver (Dolby Surround & DTS Neural:X).

For subwoofer you have the usual suspects from BK Electronics:

Monolith Plus (590-595£) FF and DF (compare dimensions)

P12-300-SB-PR

XXLS400 from their grade-b site (new and in mint condition):

SVS PB1000

If you are open for 2nd hand then PB2000 would be killer sub if you are not afraid of large box, this is almost brand new and the warranty can be transfered to second owner.

It´s 829£ new, but there is 705£ open box product with full warranty. Specs and full pictures here:

Clearly it depends is there any size/finish/look requirements.. At 722£ you would have compact sized powerfull Arendal 1961 1S sealed box with nice looks, but it´s sadly bit over your budget. I know you got to draw the line somewhere, although you could always think that if you take the cheaper overhead speakers and put the extra for better sub. ;)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
These are amazing recommendations thank you! I had been looking at the SVS subs so that's great to hear. I'd prefer something on the smaller side so there are plenty of options here that for the bill. The graded option is a great shout to be honest with a good saving and I've read great reviews for this model 😃

You could stick with KEF in-ceiling speakers, they are certainly good as they master the coaxial drivers with UniQ driver technology so you really can´t go wrong and as a plus you would have then fully matching system.

If you only want to spend low bucks then pick the exclusive ER model which should be fine for smaller room, 199£/pair.

Or if you want something better then the QR range which costs twice as much. Better drivers and higher power handling.

For the subwoofer you need to state your budget and room size with possible openings, use (music/movies %), subwoofer size/finish etc.

Hey Buddy. Hope you're well. I managed to find some KEF ci160CRDS as a pair for £300. Would these be ok for my Atmos .2 speakers?

Hey Buddy. Hope you're well. I managed to find some KEF ci160CRDS as a pair for £300. Would these be ok for my Atmos .2 speakers?

Hey. I don´t know would Kef recommend that model over the normal UniQ version. I would probably stick with the regular model. This is dual stereo model ideal to be used in small spaces where just one speaker is needed.

Iam looking at getting MA C265 IDC soon, but I really don't understand this hood business. Is some kind of sealed back enclosure absolutely required? I don't have any issues of sound bleeding into adjoining spaces. I have a wooden box kind of a false ceiling and estimate the volume to be around 200 Liters into which both of these would go. The extra cost of the hoods is like rubbing salt over my badly wounded wallet. Practically my rusty old bones would allow me to pack some insulating material around the cut out at most if that will help. Thanks. Stay safe.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom