Installation of Satellite socket

martynscs

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I sincerely apologies if this has been asked before.

My dad has upgraded his TV during a redecoration of his living room. And now has the ability to have freesat. I have tuned this in and it worked. This however was a rough install, I have now come to install the wiring neatly. But I am currently getting no signal/lnb short. I am currently working with this; LAP 1-Gang F-Type Satellite Grid Module White.

Upon reading i know the braiding shouldn't touch the core, which it doesn't but I'm now stuck as to what is causing the issue.

Can anyone advise how to wire this socket up? If I'm correct in what i've read/watched on YouTube the braiding should be under the clamp.

Cheers,
Martyn

Do you have a picture of how you wired it up?

Also this is an unshielded connector so if you have wired it up correctly then this might be the cause of it. If you look at the quadplexer version you can see it is shielded and the wires go in without a loss of the shield. Not sure if they offer a shielded version in that range.

If you're satisfied that you've wired up the module correctly. Have you checked the F-plugs at each end of the TV's satellite coaxial lead? If you've made this lead yourself it's easy for a stray strand of sheathing wire to come into contact with the center conductor.

Do you have a picture of how you wired it up?

Also this is an unshielded connector so if you have wired it up correctly then this might be the cause of it. If you look at the quadplexer version you can see it is shielded and the wires go in without a loss of the shield. Not sure if they offer a shielded version in that range.

I don't have a photo, but i can safely say the braiding is away from core and isolated using electrical tape (as i have limited knowledge on satellite connections, i believe this is now incorrect). The successful connections was via a F-type joiner. (pre made cable on internal wiring).

If you're satisfied that you've wired up the module correctly. Have you checked the F-plugs at each end of the TV's satellite coaxial lead? If you've made this lead yourself it's easy for a stray strand of sheathing wire to come into contact with the center conductor.
I'm not 100% sure the connection is correct, which is why i want to rule out the wall socket to satellite wiring, before the internal wiring, i have a pre made cable which i used to see if the dish worked.

The braiding is away from the core, but is also away from the clamp, wether this is an issue i'm not sure. I'm working on the modules as i currently have aerial coax in a second module.

I don't have a photo, but i can safely say the braiding is away from core and isolated using electrical tape (as i have limited knowledge on satellite connections, i believe this is now incorrect). The successful connections was via a F-type joiner. (pre made cable on internal wiring).
When you extended the satellite coaxial cable run, did you use one of these between a couple of F-plugs?
ae235

And did you wrap the join/connection with some amalgamating tape?

Yeah, i used one, i also created the working connection via f-type, coax M & F, to f-type again (all i had in my kit at the time. No tape used in this connection. I've only used tape to subtract the braiding from the module connection. Which isn't working, do i need any braiding touching the clamp? within the module connection?

That's why it isn't working.

That coaxial cable does not look suitable enough. It should have a solid (not air-gaped) insulator.

And you need to make sure that the outer braiding is not capable of coming into contact with the centre core conductor - The way it's been wrapped in the photo does not inspire confidence...

Thanks for the reply. The black cable is the original cable from sky many moons ago. I’ve tried going back to a direct connect via a in line coupler still no luck. I can’t recall the exact setup I had before when it worked. Is it worth getting a screened module?

Provided the coaxial cable is not bent too tightly when fixed into its final position the module should be fine.

That being said... In order to prevent signal loss and RF interference the satellite cable should look more like this though:
wf100-tv-and-satellite-digital-coaxial-cable-blake-uk.jpg

Last edited:
I didn’t think sky ever used air filled coax did they?

i don’t get how that type of connector you can get in a regular back box (or even a deep one) without a serious bend at some point.

Did you also use the white cable when testing it before?

Yep, we all know what's best, but bear in mind it was working OK for OP with the coax that he has got before he started to do the mods. The problem now it, in the first instance, to find out what he has done wrong to stop it working.

If the error message is no signal/LNB short,the second half of that that means LNB short circuit which is invariably a short of the outer to the inner of the coax rather than a short in the LNB itself (and remember it was working OK recently).

Thanks for all the help.

Strangely the sky dish has two feeds, I think we last had active sky around mid 00's so i can't remember exactly what was installed, The first cable as shown was the working one for freesat and the second one has a solid white core, which i also attempted to wire up. I'm going to have a few more attempts with the current equipment then admit defeat and get a professional in.

In regards to cabling, i will need to feed wire from the sockets (once working) through a wall and back up higher in the wall. What spec cable should i go for?
I'll more than likely leave the termination of the cabling to someone else unless i get the previous issue solved before hand.

I have tuned this in and it worked. This however was a rough install,
Ah. So this was about 20 years ago was it?

Please clarify. Have you had any sort of signal from the dish recently and is this problem a recent one that has occurred since you started rewiring the coax? i.e. Is it a fairly certain assumption that it's something that you have done to break it?

There is nothing strange about the LNB having two feeds. Most do (or more)

Ah. So this was about 20 years ago was it?

Please clarify. Have you had any sort of signal from the dish recently and is this problem a recent one that has occurred since you started rewiring the coax? i.e. Is it a fairly certain assumption that it's something that you have done to break it?

There is nothing strange about the LNB having two feeds. Most do (or more)
No the rough install was last week to get freesat working, of which it did, until i started to tidy up the setup. I have now acquired a screened module so hopefully this may help.

Well, go back to how you had it, see if it still works like that and then work from there.
I have now acquired a screened module so hopefully this may help.
probably not but I like your optimism. We may be pleasantly surprised.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom