Question Installing a projector screen on floating ceiling

Doug Pyper

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to install a projector screen on my ceiling having recently discovered it's a floating ceiling...

The joists are these and run the same way as the screen. They're about 20-30cm above the ceiling though. The ceiling itself is double plasterboard, attached to the joists with what look like metal studs. Here's a picture to give an idea, taken from my phone through one of the spotlight holes:

1603752367203.png

As you can see, the ceiling isn't attached to the joists. So there's no easy way of attaching the screen to anything. I'm not sure those metal studs could hold the weight of a screen, so I wouldn't want to chance that.

I can't wall mount, because there's a log burner breast in the way. The screen is supposed to run in front of it, and come down between the speakers.

1603752456534.png

I can't see any easy way to hang the screen from anything. One option would be to run timber between the joists, then hang the screen from that somehow. But that doesn't solve the problem of the joists being 20-30cm higher than the ceiling.

One thing I wondered: given these constraints - would it be easier to install an in-ceiling screen?

Any thoughts very much welcome! This is a bit of a quandary right now...

Just at an aesthetic level, it looks like a really nice room, I'm not sure I'd want a screen casing hanging off the ceiling.

There are some pretty serious plasterboard fixings about these days though.

I'd be a bit concerned about what heat from the burner is going to do to the screen anyway with this plan, most screens don't like heat...

Just at an aesthetic level, it looks like a really nice room, I'm not sure I'd want a screen casing hanging off the ceiling.

There are some pretty serious plasterboard fixings about these days though.

I'd be a bit concerned about what heat from the burner is going to do to the screen anyway with this plan, most screens don't like heat...

Yea, I did think about heavy duty plasterboard fixings. I reckon there's a chance I could get that to work but I'd be a bit nervous about it. I don't think I could ever relax knowing it was only affixed to the plasterboard.

On the aesthetics point (and thanks for the compliment!), I wouldn't have the casing exposed. I was planning to box it off, possibly with a pelmet or false ceiling. That's part of the reason behind starting to think maybe in-ceiling is the best route, seeing as I'd be hiding the casing anyway. I'd hadn't ever considered that option until seeing how the ceiling was constructed.

Totally agree about the log burner heat. There's no way I'd have it on when the screen's down!

given the weight of screen, i would trust it on plaster board fixings !

That's part of the reason behind starting to think maybe in-ceiling is the best route,
go this way, not sure in your country but where I am local maker provides hideaway boxes for in ceiling.... all have a discrete slot with a flap on it, that opens when screen comes through and shuts once screen goes back inside. its all self inclusive. so just matter of cutting a hole in the ceiling affixing to the joists and then make good ...

will end up with a very clean look once done with...

You’d have no problems if you chose the right plasterboard fixings and used enough of them.

Can you access the floorboards above? If so, the best way to fix it would be to have some wood battens resting in place between your floating ceiling and joists, and then just screw directly into these from the ceiling side.

If you can access the floorboards, it’s a pretty simple fix, if you can’t, plasterboard fixings maybe your best route.

You’d have no problems if you chose the right plasterboard fixings and used enough of them.

Can you access the floorboards above? If so, the best way to fix it would be to have some wood battens resting in place between your floating ceiling and joists, and then just screw directly into these from the ceiling side.

If you can access the floorboards, it’s a pretty simple fix, if you can’t, plasterboard fixings maybe your best route.

Hmmm, looking into it plasterboard fixings might do the trick...

These GeeFix fixings can hold 71kg each according to the FAQ. The screen I'm looking at is around 30kg, so spreading that across two should be fine but I'd still be nervous. I could perhaps use about 6 of them to secure a 3m length of 19mm C16 timber, and attach the screen brackets to that.

One unknown variable with that is what the plasterboard itself is attached with, and what tensile load it can bear. I also don't know anything about the load bearing of the metal frame it's attached to.

I can't access the floorboards above. Well, not easily anyway. They're all seamlessly joined chipboard panels, which I presume are tongue and groove. Also, I think part of the area I'd need access to is under a bathroom, and I can't lift the floor there without having to spend a long time on repairs.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I use the GeeFix fixings for a 120" screen, around 20kg and it's rock solid. 30kg would be no problem.

I use the GeeFix fixings for a 120" screen, around 20kg and it's rock solid. 30kg would be no problem.
Glad to hear - thanks. I think I'll go that route too. It's much less hassle than cutting into the ceiling and messing about with adding timber to the joists etc.

I used four of the Gripit fixings to install my Draper in-ceiling screen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom